Default Re: What keeps you using 3.95?

hell yeah, nice1 mad matt.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2016, 08:57 AM   #122
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'll give it a try when I get home from work. It would be great to be able to use SM 5 properly.

Not like my cpu shouldn't be able to handle stepmania, but who knows.

Last edited by Izzy; 03-3-2016 at 08:58 AM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #123
goosedude
FFR Player

for some reason, timing feels better
probably because my pc is garbage and can't run sm5 properly
Old 05-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #124
Dj_Ossa
SMGroove
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via Skype™ to Dj_Ossa

Kyze and Jousway somehow managed to alienate 95% on SM's userbase in this threat.

Just thought I would say a couple things:

Kyze, when you say that you won't test shit that is only for windows because windows sucks etc.... That's the MAJORITY of the community your bias is alienating. You're programming for a game that is played MOSTLY by PC players, not by your Linux fan club.

Jousway, the "ignorant keyboard players" you speak of, that's the majority of your fucking target audience, and when you guys make a threat to convince people to that SM5 is better, faster, shinier, whatever the fuck, you sure as hell better be ready for some backslash.

There ARE many reasons why people stopped updating SM after 3.9/3.95. It is not because we're dumb, Jous, it's because THE GAME FEELS DIFFERENT. I have been playing stepmania for longer than I would like to admit (okay, fuck it, 15 years) and, as a once active member of this community, I kept myself updated with the latest versions constantly. I was there when Josh and Charles released the CVS version of 3.9 and when they were very clear that it was a buggy build meant for online 4k play only.

Stepmania 4 felt odd and was buggy as shit. Stepmania 5 looks beautiful, but I just can't get myself to enjoy playing on it. I have a hard time with my timing, global offset is fucked up, I does not feel like the same game.

I am currently trying (yet again, for the 4th time) to give SM5 another go... But it's not looking good. And I always keep my 3.95 CVS handy in case I pull the plug on SM5.

I appreciate all of your help and hard work, I really do. However, if Stepmania has any chance of coming back as game and a community, we need to start focusing on gameplay rather than "look how many obscure things I can do with this file/theme."

I agree with Izzy, Stepmania Online NEEDS to be a part of this development. Take a look at osu!, the way the game works, the multiplayer rooms, song choices, available to download at the click of a button. Why can't we have this with Stepmania? Charles and Josh stopped working on the SMO server script years ago, hoku added important features (and now he's gone)... Why don't you guys pick up where they left off and modernize Stepmania so that it's actually a suitable multiplayer game for this day and age?

I understand the importance of the SSC team in keeping Stepmania alive. But remember that the thing that's kept this game alive for so long is the same thing you two are trying to alienate in this thread; community.

Hopefully we can do something to ensure this game we all love and respect begins to grow again, in a positive way.

Until then, don't complain if people prefer the buggy playable past over the shiny new things that doesn't feel like our game.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #125
Kyzentun
FFR Player

I'm not trying to convince anyone anymore. I'm just going to implement the improvements I want and write the release notes. You'll have to figure out whether it's better for yourself.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #126
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzentun View Post
You'll have to figure out whether it's better for yourself.
When it's not, don't bitch at us for noticing. Thanks.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 05-22-2016 at 08:43 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #127
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

edit: this was not a good post oops

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 05-23-2016 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: reading the thread again reminded me of things
Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #128
Kyzentun
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
When it's not, don't bitch at us for noticing. Thanks.
When you do, try to sound informed. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #129
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Bitches gettin' fiesty in here about what Stepmania is more Stepmania.

Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #130
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

The thread should probably be locked.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #131
Kyzentun
FFR Player

I'm just saying that when someone installs ~10 songs then claims 5.0.7 didn't make a difference in loading times, they sound incredibly uninformed.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #132
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Late, but I tried 3.9, 3.95 and 5. Got a few Aoreo packs that support rolls, so I guess I have 3.95. I just really like how the backgrounds, screenshots, and songs are easily accessible in their own folders. So when Icy goes and throws in some Jiburiru The Devil Angel into GammaBlaster's Serious Shit (and don't think I haven't figured out that the banner is just color-reversed and zoomed in) I can notice this and be all "well, that's something people probably shouldn't stream." Or fap to. Whatever.

Plus after I work my ass off and my wrists are on fire after finally AAing Wedding Peak Heavy or something dumb, I don't have to spend another 10 minutes going through my temp folders looking for the SS. Just pull up the program folder and bam, right there.

Yes, once you start accumulating 2K+ files the game takes a while to load, but it's something I'm willing to put up with for easy access to program assets and proof of badassery.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
I actually agree with this because I like stuff to stay in one folder, which ya can actually easily do by making a portable.ini file in the sm5 main installation folder, when sm starts it scans for this file, and if it exist in the root of sm5's installation folder it will put everything in that folder instead of %appdata%
I didn't see ANYTHING in the online help about this.

Last edited by igotrhythm; 05-23-2016 at 12:29 AM..
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #133
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzentun View Post
I'm just saying that when someone installs ~10 songs then claims 5.0.7 didn't make a difference in loading times, they sound incredibly uninformed.
What a convenient strawman you've set up there. Is that your justification for keeping your head so far up your ass you can't read the entire rest of this thread?

Try looking at posts like the one from icyworld, who has the same problem as me. Why do I still use 3.95? Gee I fucking wonder, maybe because it starts?
You want me to help you work out why? I'd love to provide specs and logs if you want to troubleshoot.

Oh, you don't want help? You're just going to call me uninformed? Ooookay, then.

Don't come into a forum of people who use your product and want to see it succeed, ask them to talk about features they like from an older version of that product, then proceed to fling shit like a pubescent chimpanzee when people give you answers you don't want to hear.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #134
hi19hi19
lol happy

Honestly the attitude from the SM5 development team would something I could watch from afar and laugh at the hilarious example of self-congratulatory self-destruction, if I didn't care about the program and the community.

EDIT- for people wondering why I'm mad despite not having posted before in this thread specifically, this is far from the first time I've tried to help SM5 and been rudely talked down to.
I'm so sick of threads like this. Don't fucking post on FFR if you don't want to hear the answers FFR is going to give.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 05-23-2016 at 12:28 AM..
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 AM   #135
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
So when Icy goes and throws in some Jiburiru The Devil Angel into GammaBlaster's Serious Shit (and don't think I haven't figured out that the banner is just color-reversed and zoomed in) I can notice this and be all "well, that's something people probably shouldn't stream." Or fap to. Whatever.
i'm still mad about this tbh l0l
GammaBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #136
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

kyzentun:

if you decide to try to start taking input from this community again, I think what you should do is have someone else from your team act as a representative here. they can gather the comments that are constructive and filter out the ones that aren't. then, they can pass what they've got on to you in a different setting.

this would allow you to:
1) avoid seeing the kind of low-quality feedback that seems to tilt you pretty hard
2) vent your frustrations somewhere else

@ FFR folks: if you have a personal issue with someone, then as always, it's probably best to take it up via PM.

if you want to help contribute to ongoing development of sm5, you could leave a post here, but I'd say you might as well head over to stepmania.com and get involved there.

(disclaimer: I don't play anymore; these are just my thoughts after skimming some of this thread)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 AM   #137
Dj_Ossa
SMGroove
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via Skype™ to Dj_Ossa

Well said, sir.

There needs to be a bridge between the devs and the community and someone non-biased that filters comments from attacks and gives feedback to the dev team.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #138
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

the devs sound uninformed about FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #139
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Make sm great again

In all seriousness, whatever ya choose to do (SM devs) just have fun doing it. Whether you develop on some of the problems addressed in this thread or not we still love to see activity and progress being made for a game we cherish. Sure some of us will call you out for coming in here, asking for opinions, then attempt to degrade those who have issues with sm5 that you do not experience, but hey... we aint the ones working on it.

Last edited by Frank Munoz; 05-25-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Frank Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #140
bboyflames
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Ossa View Post
Kyze and Jousway somehow managed to alienate 95% on SM's userbase in this threat.

Just thought I would say a couple things:

Kyze, when you say that you won't test shit that is only for windows because windows sucks etc.... That's the MAJORITY of the community your bias is alienating. You're programming for a game that is played MOSTLY by PC players, not by your Linux fan club.

Jousway, the "ignorant keyboard players" you speak of, that's the majority of your fucking target audience, and when you guys make a threat to convince people to that SM5 is better, faster, shinier, whatever the fuck, you sure as hell better be ready for some backslash.

There ARE many reasons why people stopped updating SM after 3.9/3.95. It is not because we're dumb, Jous, it's because THE GAME FEELS DIFFERENT. I have been playing stepmania for longer than I would like to admit (okay, fuck it, 15 years) and, as a once active member of this community, I kept myself updated with the latest versions constantly. I was there when Josh and Charles released the CVS version of 3.9 and when they were very clear that it was a buggy build meant for online 4k play only.

Stepmania 4 felt odd and was buggy as shit. Stepmania 5 looks beautiful, but I just can't get myself to enjoy playing on it. I have a hard time with my timing, global offset is fucked up, I does not feel like the same game.

I am currently trying (yet again, for the 4th time) to give SM5 another go... But it's not looking good. And I always keep my 3.95 CVS handy in case I pull the plug on SM5.

I appreciate all of your help and hard work, I really do. However, if Stepmania has any chance of coming back as game and a community, we need to start focusing on gameplay rather than "look how many obscure things I can do with this file/theme."

I agree with Izzy, Stepmania Online NEEDS to be a part of this development. Take a look at osu!, the way the game works, the multiplayer rooms, song choices, available to download at the click of a button. Why can't we have this with Stepmania? Charles and Josh stopped working on the SMO server script years ago, hoku added important features (and now he's gone)... Why don't you guys pick up where they left off and modernize Stepmania so that it's actually a suitable multiplayer game for this day and age?

I understand the importance of the SSC team in keeping Stepmania alive. But remember that the thing that's kept this game alive for so long is the same thing you two are trying to alienate in this thread; community.

Hopefully we can do something to ensure this game we all love and respect begins to grow again, in a positive way.

Until then, don't complain if people prefer the buggy playable past over the shiny new things that doesn't feel like our game.
Ossa, I'd just like to say you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with why I still use SM 3.95. Nice to see you still posting btw. We should hit up an SMO session sometime. Cheers bud!
bboyflames is offline   Reply With Quote