Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl
Default Steam

Hey guys, after a looong absence from PC gaming I'm back on Steam and would like to ask for suggestions (and friends)

Any Indie, F2P, MMO, anything games that I should really get, suggestions would be really appreciated.

If anyone wants to be friends I'd be grateful: http://steamcommunity.com/id/FamoFunk/

Would be down for some games and whatever, thanks.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Steam

Still rocking my avatar lmao, nice.

If you haven't, go through Portal 1 and 2. And Stanley Parable. Fun games all around (wouldn't be surprised if you'd already played Portal, but gotta suggest it just in case)

Last edited by justin_ator; 04-25-2015 at 06:26 PM..
justin_ator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Buta-san
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Buta-san

+1 Stanley parable

This is a journey into sound.
Buta-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I bought a 19 cent game today that was actually really cool.

Name of the game is "Out There Somewhere" and it's an indie/puzzle platformer.

You only have ZXC and the arrow keys to use, Z is jump, X is "Teleporter Gun" and C is Actual Gun (like magnum). If the Teleport Beam (more like a small ball) hits a surface your character is taken to wherever it hit.

My first playthrough took 1:12:43 to complete but there is an achievement to beat it in less than 20 minutes. I recommend picking it up strictly because it is enjoyable and literally couch change price.

EDIT: Also, I added you. My name is Ky Kiske

Last edited by _Zenith_; 04-25-2015 at 09:52 PM..
_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I have so many Steam games that I have not even played yet, god damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

f2p, mmo, indie is a bit broad. Can you list a couple of your favorite games as examples? Also being FFR, going to plug Before the Echo (Formerly Sequence), beat hazard, crypt of the necrodancer, and audiosurf. Check those out.

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 04-25-2015 at 10:31 PM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
sickufully
Sir Krisk
FFR Veteran

If you're a fan of roguelikes, highly recommend Binding of Isaac Rebirth & Rogue Castle. I'm also waiting for Prison Architect (almost like a Sims game but for prison) and Cities Skyline to on sale cause they both look amazing.

Another game that I've been hearing a lot of recently is 'Ori and the Blind Forrest'. And another game similar to that is 'Dust - An Elysian Tail' (I played this a while back and beat it in around 20 hours but I would play it again).

Other games that I find to be good time wasters are Terraria, AudioSurf, Super Hexagon & Retro City Rampage.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #8
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

dota 2 is the best f2p in the world

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:08 AM   #9
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

clicked on this thread expecting rants about the recent issue between Valve & Bethesda with Skyrim mods.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:04 AM   #10
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Still rocking my avatar lmao, nice.

If you haven't, go through Portal 1 and 2. And Stanley Parable. Fun games all around (wouldn't be surprised if you'd already played Portal, but gotta suggest it just in case)
Hahaha, I've never changed and have no plans to!

I'm really into Portal, I had them on the PS3 though and just scouting a cheap key for them now, I'll look into Stanley Parable though, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
I bought a 19 cent game today that was actually really cool.

Name of the game is "Out There Somewhere" and it's an indie/puzzle platformer.

You only have ZXC and the arrow keys to use, Z is jump, X is "Teleporter Gun" and C is Actual Gun (like magnum). If the Teleport Beam (more like a small ball) hits a surface your character is taken to wherever it hit.

My first playthrough took 1:12:43 to complete but there is an achievement to beat it in less than 20 minutes. I recommend picking it up strictly because it is enjoyable and literally couch change price.

EDIT: Also, I added you. My name is Ky Kiske
Thanks for adding man, turns out I have that game already, but haven't played it yet! iirc it was the one I picked up for 15p so extremely cheap~

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_grunt666 View Post
f2p, mmo, indie is a bit broad. Can you list a couple of your favorite games as examples? Also being FFR, going to plug Before the Echo (Formerly Sequence), beat hazard, crypt of the necrodancer, and audiosurf. Check those out.
Thanks, I'll check them out! Yeah sorry I guess it is, I like rouge like games, puzzles, things like Hotline Miami, Portal, L4D, DOta, Binding of Isaac, mini shooters. I'm open up to any kind of suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickufully View Post
If you're a fan of roguelikes, highly recommend Binding of Isaac Rebirth & Rogue Castle. I'm also waiting for Prison Architect (almost like a Sims game but for prison) and Cities Skyline to on sale cause they both look amazing.

Another game that I've been hearing a lot of recently is 'Ori and the Blind Forrest'. And another game similar to that is 'Dust - An Elysian Tail' (I played this a while back and beat it in around 20 hours but I would play it again).

Other games that I find to be good time wasters are Terraria, AudioSurf, Super Hexagon & Retro City Rampage.
Thanks! I have BoI, Dust and Rouge Castle on the PS4 and I really enjoy them. Prison Architect sounds interesting, I'll look into that!
I bought my partner Cities: Skyline as I found a cheap key (£8 instead of the £22.99 on steam) I might pick it up for myself though after checking his out

I'll look into Ori if it's similar to Dust, I really enjoyed that game, thanks! (:
Old 04-26-2015, 04:14 AM   #11
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Another BoI like game is A Wizard's Lizard, they have the roguelike sale going on and I picked it up, pretty fun. FTL, Paranautical Activity, Rogue Legacy, and Risk of Rain are good too.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #12
sickufully
Sir Krisk
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
Thanks! I have BoI, Dust and Rouge Castle on the PS4 and I really enjoy them. Prison Architect sounds interesting, I'll look into that!
I bought my partner Cities: Skyline as I found a cheap key (£8 instead of the £22.99 on steam) I might pick it up for myself though after checking his out

I'll look into Ori if it's similar to Dust, I really enjoyed that game, thanks! (:
Yeah I would look into Ori, from the trailers that I've seen and reading some reviews on it, it's similar to Dust, only 10x better. Steam gave it a 10/10. Also, if you don't mind a puzzle game, check out the Trine series. I'm not a huge fan of them but I've heard some good things about it. I think the 3rd one just came out.

BoI is so good! It's addictive as hell too. I have upwards of 300 hours on it. Time well spent
Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
KLiTz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I spent the money on Dying Light. Really fun Zombie/Walking Dead type game IMO, however if you have some friends to play along with like I did, takes it to a whole new level. Especially when you head outside at night.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare + Deadliest Warrior(xpan) is also a fun game if you like FPS... but this has a twist with swords, mauls, bows and axes.... OH MY. Not the largest community by any means but certainly not "dead" and has a pretty steep learning curve until you get used to the physics of the game, so expect to get decapitated for quite a while.

BTW, if anyone here has either of these titles and like to play them I'm always open to playing!
KLiTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:59 AM   #14
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Hey guys, after a looong absence from PC gaming I'm back on Steam and would like to ask for suggestions (and friends)

Any Indie, F2P, MMO, anything games that I should really get, suggestions would be really appreciated.

If anyone wants to be friends I'd be grateful: http://steamcommunity.com/id/FamoFunk/

Would be down for some games and whatever, thanks.
I'm a huge fan of indies, especially on steam. Went through my games and picked a few out for you:

Binding Of Isaac (Roguelike)
Bit.Trip Runner (1 and 2) (side-scrolling platformer)
The Bridge (Puzzle)
Cave Story+ (Metroidvania)
Electronic Super Joy (Platformer)
Goat Simulator (Goatformer)
Guacamelee (Platformer)
Home (horror / adventure)
Hotline Miami (top down shooter)
Knights Of Pen And Paper+1 (RPG)
Long Live The Queen (Visual Novel)
Mark Of The Ninja (Stealth / Platformer)
Nimbus (Puzzle)
Pixeljunk Eden (Relaxing platformer, hard to describe)
Rogue Legacy (Roguelike)
Stanley Parable (Mind-Fuck)
Super Meat Boy (Platformer)
The Swapper (Puzzle/Platformer)
Unepic (Metroidvania)
VVVVVV (Platformer)

And free wise, the only one I have played is You Have To Win The Game. You can beat it in an hour but it's a fun hour.

You should check out Humble Bundles. They regularly offer games on steam for cheap (and you're supporting charities in the process). They have one on right now where you can get Dragon Age 1 and 2, Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2 for Steam for $5.

Last edited by TheRapingDragon; 04-27-2015 at 03:04 AM..
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
Goat Simulator (Goatformer)
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic View Post
dota 2 is the best f2p in the world
mmm i actually didnt care for dota 2. just my opinion. im not gonna go off about how league is better since that has huge flaws as well, or any other game for that matter. they all have obvious flaws that are arguable one way or the other. becomes a pointless conversation...

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #16
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy View Post
this.

mmm i actually didnt care for dota 2. just my opinion. im not gonna go off about how league is better since that has huge flaws as well, or any other game for that matter. they all have obvious flaws that are arguable one way or the other. becomes a pointless conversation...
You're right, it is a pointless conversation because you cannot compare the two games. Each has different mechanics even though they are both MOBAs, and it becomes a preference at that point.

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #17
dell2150
FFR Veteran
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to dell2150

Age of Empires II HD is a pretty great game. Nice remake of the timeless classic (I grew up playing AoE 1 as one of my first "real" PC games). It's a real time strategy which you didn't list, but can be a relaxed game too.

For an FPS hater, I actually enjoyed HAWKEN. It's free and you're basically a giant robot on a team of giant robots fighting another team of giant robots. It's very slow paced for a shooter, and I think that's why I like it. Not usually a fan of the fast fighting games.

I for some reason obsess over generic MMORPG type things that are similar to WoW but free (Wow private servers, Aion, Allods, tons of others), and found Eldevin on steam. It's basically exactly that, but actually more like RuneScape. Woodcutting, mining, smithing, farming, fishing, cooking etc all that jazz, and I've put a bunch of hours into that recently, dunno if it's your type though.

Dragon Age: Origins was somehow in my recommended even though I barely have any games and I LOVE it. It's sorta like Skyrim, there are dwarves, humans, and elves, and 6 different "classes" that create 6 extremely unique storylines. Each is enthralling and in depth full of moral dilemmas, and similar to the Fable series, moral choices effect the plot as well as your party members and relationships.

Speaking of Dragon Age: Origins, if you haven't looked at the Humble Bundle (which I see TRD mentioned) I definitely recommend getting it. Humble Bundle does "pay what you want" as long as it's above the average, and you get a bunch of games. Currently for steam it is Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, and Bejeweled 3 all for $4.97 (or more, if you want to). Definitely a deal you can't beat if you are interested. Sorry I can't recommend more games, I've also recently come back to Steam!

P.S. my username is "I am Dell" (no quotes of course) if anyone would like to add me as well!

Last edited by dell2150; 04-27-2015 at 03:08 PM..
dell2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Ty TRD, Dell and everyone.

Love me some Indies so gonna check your list out with the ones I've yet to play~
Old 04-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Riotpolice
"Reach For The Stars"
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Riotpolice Send a message via Skype™ to Riotpolice

Here's a list of games that I've bought on steam. The prices vary from super cheap, to some that aren't the cheapest, however I've had my fair share of fun on them, maybe you will to:

7.8/10

Borderlands 7.8/10 (FPS, RPG based, Multiplayer) Awesome game, lots of action. Level up characters, bullets, guns, weapons, explosions, you name it!

9.4/10
Borderlands 2 9.4/10 (FPS, guns guns GUNS GUUUNNNSSS!!!, RPG based, Multiplayer) You only need to play Borderlands to know this one is worth the money. Unbelievably, they made this one 3x better than the original.

8.0/10
Metro 2033 8.0/10 (FPS, horror, action) Watched a few YouTube videos for this game, knew it had to be mine. Lots of action, great plot, and very scary moments. Great game.

8.5/10
Metro Last Light 8.5/10 (FPS, horror, action) Same bit as Metro 2033, but 2x better than the original. Would recommend.

6.8/10
Electronic Super Joy 6.8/10 (Rage, platformer, 8bit) I played this one after watching other YouTubers play it, not exceptionally terrible but steep difficulty curve.

7.2/10
Super Hexagon 7.2/10 (Rage, minimalist, music game, chiptune) Use two keys to move your "ship" in and out of shapes. Very difficult learning curve, but very fun.

9.0/10
Counter-Strike Source 9.0/10 (FPS, Shooter, Multiplayer) This game has stood the test of time itself. CS:GO is the way to go though if you want to get the better updated version.

9.5/10
One Finger Death Punch 9.5/10 (Rage, minimalist, platformer) User two keys to move your character to attack enemy's; one of the most highly recommended games in this list.

7.0/10
Paranautical Activity: Deluxe Atonment Edition 7.0/10 (Rage, FPS, 8bit) Friend of mine suggested this one to me, I still haven't even gotten to lv. 2 yet. Difficult game, steep learning curve.

9.5/10
Star Wars Republic Commando 9.5/10 (FPS, teamwork-based, Multiplayer) <-- ps don't play if you don't want to go into half life 3 conniptions. Unbelievably realistic game in terms of life applications that have been placed into a game, working with your AI buds is a requirement to win this game. Highly recommend.

8.3/10
Super Meat Boy 8.3/10 (platformer, [lots of] rage, 8bit) Never beat this game, probably never will but it's very fun. Lots of rage, steep difficulty curve. Would recommend.

Also why is "summon" in quotation marks as usually that signifies an alternate meaning like for example last night I "visited" your mother but it really means last night I "fucked her in the ass" so exactly what is the subtext of "summon" because I am not sure I am comfortable with the implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
im usually the "nice guy" around these parts.. but this is bad, and you should feel bad. i would rather dip my balls in honey and hover them over a red ant hill than to ever hear such butchered crap.
Riotpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 04:58 AM   #20
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotpolice View Post
Here's a list of games that I've bought on steam.

spoilerspoilerspoiler
Too much spoilers.

Also, 11 games? You need to expand your collection. Unless you've only had steam for a week or two, in which case 11 games is perfectly acceptable. That or you have a lot more control than me. Between the bundles and the Steam sales I can't help picking up games. Yeah they might sit there for a few weeks (months...years...) not being played but I'll get around to it. Eventually. Maybe. Nothing wrong with planning for your retirement...

Quote:
Ty TRD, Dell and everyone.

Love me some Indies so gonna check your list out with the ones I've yet to play~
No problem. If you need more games I'm always happy to give suggestions. My collection on Steam is up to 369 games so I have plenty more than what I listed, not all indies though.

Last edited by TheRapingDragon; 05-1-2015 at 05:00 AM..
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote