Old 02-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Triceps!

How do you guys like to train them?

Right now I am doing close-grip bench press and lying overhead triceps extensions / skullcrushers, but curious what you guys prefer.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Triceps!

1,000 dips / day

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
party 4u "holy nite mix" v2 - 5-0-1-2
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3
Flame Repellent - 5-0-0-0
Kanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Well, as the tricep king (Serious, one of the bodybuilders at my gym on tons of gear asked me what the hell is up with my triceps), I can tell you how I made mine big.

For hypertrophy, at least two heavy exercises that are tricep dominant. 3-4 sets @ 5-8 reps, heavy heavy heavy. Options: Close grip bench, incline bench without touching your chest, incline dumbbell same thing, machine presses with limited ROM (hammer press is great for this).

Then misc volume with 2 exercises w/ 3-4 sets @ 10-15 rep range. My personal favorite is single arm rope pulldown for full contraction and squeeze, supersetted with dips to failure.

This works best on some sort of split. The downside of full body routines is generally that it's much harder to fix weak points. If you're doing full body, add a tricep accessory at the end or something.

Strength wise, it's movement specific, so all I can say on that end is more tricep centered compounds. Extremely heavy block benching and partial incline benching is probably the way to go.

As an aside, for people trying to bring up their chests most of the exact same stuff I just said works wonderfully, you just go wider grip and increase the ROM to touch your chest (and even pause on your chest for maximum benefit).

Last edited by Reach; 02-28-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Triceps are my weakest point next to my chest. They've improved A LOT but they've still got a bit to go before they're proportionate with my biceps (which I proactively don't isolate often).

What Northstrong has me doing has been working very well. The idea is to completely destroy my arms.

Inclined Bench - 5/3/1
Close-Grip Bench - 5x10
Seated DB OHP - 3x12
Flyes - 3x12
Close-Grip Dips - 5x20

Depending on how my arms are feeling, I'll try to ruin them more by doing dips superset with military push-ups for 5x10 each with little/no rest in between sets.