Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
Kyaputen Farukon
FFR Player

Default Kyaputen Farukon has arrived! (Simfile thread)

Hello everyone! I want to share my simfiles with you, will update op with new files (hopefully regularly!)

Endless Challenge Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ls...Farukon%29.zip
A fitting first song considering Captain Falcon is awesome!

Feedback is always appreciated; show me your moves!
Kyaputen Farukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX
Default Re: Kyaputen Farukon has arrived! (Simfile thread)

Actually I expected this file to be bad because your account is very recent and I never heard of you and that'd imply you're a fresh beginner with lots of things to learn.
However the file was very enjoyable, the sync made it fun to tap and it has a very very good replay value so good job on that, you may send it to packs and judges would most certainly have a favorable opinion toward your work.

However, despite being exceptionnally well executed, I can feel on some places you still need improvement because of your use of unpolished methods and an overall lack of attention toward the details of the music (that are, nonetheless, very important once you got the main chunk of the work done). You have the tendency to use processes too simple for what you have to work with.
For instance there is an error on the guitar you stepped on beats 163 to 164.5, you should have put them one half-beat sooner, on 162.5 to sync it properly. You could have also payed attention to the guitar wobbles to enhance the fun value. You globally seemed lost for syncing that guitar with your patterns on measures 38 ~ 49, you had a much too simplistic approach and it just screams you need more experience to me before making a technically flawless file.
Also for this part, and for the one just before, you could have also added relief to your file by emphasizing the drum kick instead of just putting one note every time there is a drum note and layering the whole part this way.
To my eyes it just keep shouting you lack technical depth for now, and you have to remedy by stepping more music, in more varied ways, and carefully take technical feedbacks in account.

tl;dr your file is very fun but lacks charm and style, I'd say, you have yet to polish it and make it your own style. Don't push it, just keep doing files like that and it'll progressively come as you keep working on that kind of stuff.

That also means it's the only negative critic I have to do toward your stepfile, I think everybody should give you a little more attention. Usually beginners tend to make very bland files, sometimes badly synced, or just not fun, with really too simple and shallow patterns. But you have actually assimilated most of the things that make a file good and you seem to have a pretty much deep grasp on what makes a file nice to play overall. Technicality is all you lack and need.

Last edited by ScylaX; 07-23-2014 at 02:30 PM..
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

good review scy

I'll echo what he said, you seem to have a good grasp on what makes a file fun. We like to nitpick on files for perfection sake but that's just the next level of simfile making. I feel like you have a lot of potential.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Kyaputen Farukon
FFR Player

When you say technicality you mean like i need to pay more attention to things that I missed or what haha
Old 07-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

It's more a matter of "paying attention to details" the right way. I guess it's something very abstract at first, what I mean by technicality is more or less having accurate steps. Synced and relevant steps. Your file is fun but kind of messy on some parts because of that.
So paying attention to more things, yeah, and sorting out good ideas from bad ideas.
A bad idea for instance was to make freeze jumps to step the tom-tom drums, I remember using these things back in 2008 or so, but they're actually too intense and should carefully being used for relevant occasions.
Now I keep using the word "relevant" and it's hard to know what is relevant and what isn't relevant for a beginner, besides it being very hard to justify to others when they don't instinctively get it, so just take it easy.

Anyway, I guess it can seem very abstract to you so, if you just don't get it for now, just keep making files, I guess you'll learn by yourself and maybe in six months, you'll look at that file and tell yourself "Yeah it as some flaws"
Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

the worst part about this file is that the name "kyaputen farukon" is attached to it
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
the worst part about this file is that the name "kyaputen farukon" is attached to it
I legitimately thought that this was going to be a korean file because of that lmao.

Anyhow, ditto on what scylaax mulled over. Just need more practice and more songs to step. Practice makes perfect~

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Kyaputen Farukon
FFR Player

i noticed this file in ffrmania, and the offset needs to be 5 for it to be on sync (for whoever added it in)