Old 12-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #1628
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
IIRC, this was suggested before, but how about the site bring the Simfile DB back with downloads only available without audio files? As in, .sm/.dwi/.ssc files only (and possible artwork)

TBH, I still don't understand the removal. The DB was a huge attraction for the site's popularity, and AFAIK, this site (along with others such as Bemanistyle, ZiV, and Stepmania.com) never got into much major trouble.
My guess is that FFR has more of a focus on its own game, whereas sites like bemanistyle or zenius-I-vanisher are more or less informational sites on music games in general. It was probably decided that the simfile database would not only cause potential legal hassle, but also would deviate from the site's main focus. The legality of a simfile database was far from the only "issue".

The flash game, R2, that the simfile database used for instant playing, never was completed, and it'd look better if that was removed altogether. Finally, the simfile database was a hefty load for the servers I'd imagine. Overall, the database, and the game associated with it, was probably too much and too incomplete, as well as lying in a legal grey zone.

Last edited by bmah; 12-30-2011 at 03:10 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote