View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Reorganize the forum structure

I don't think "Life" needs to go to the top to leave Arts separate. Because this is the FFR forum, I don't think the top of the board should have all the general discussion boards. Except for Chit Chat, because it's the big one. Introductory and Official Event threads are the only other ones I think need to be above general FFR discussion, because that's what users should see first. Boards are organized from specific to general and how relevant it is to the site between boards (News > FFR > Stepmania > Other Games > Art > Other Discussion) and inside boards (Music Games > Other Games).

And yeah, the name "Introductions" really only fits the Newbie board, so that's an unnecessary label. Because official events should be at the top as a "this is a pretty important board" thing, user events are split into the FFR section. Birthdays and AMAs don't need to be above FFR discussion, but they fit as subforums of Chit Chat.

Not sure what a good name for this first forum would be, because "General Discussion" is the "Life" of Life & Arts.

> For New Users & Introductions
> Official News & Events
--- Tournaments
> Chit Chat
--- Ask Me Anything
--- Birthdays

The next group itself is "FFR General Discussion", so that doesn't need to be its own board with too many subforums. Bugs & Suggestions should in some way be split between the game and site, whether they're subforums of a Bugs & Suggestions board or split between Game and Site boards.

Flash Flash Revolution
> Game Discussion
--- Songs & Permissions
--- Contested Difficulties
> Site Discussion
--- Profiles
--- Radio
> Game & Site Development
--- Game Bugs & Suggestions
--- Site Bugs & Suggestions
> User Events
--- Tournaments
> Multiplayer Plaza
> Spin it Up

I do like the suggestion of giving the Brag Board its own section with forums for those games. Simfiles & Stepmania getting its own board is a good idea, too, because of how much more involvement our community has in it compared to general video game discussion. (I don't have these listed, because they'd look just like Middie's suggestions. Except I think Stepmania should be above general gaming.)

Participating in forum games and playing video games are totally different things, so those should be in separate boards. Or, really, if it's just named "Video & Forum Games", that works too, because "Gaming" implies "Video Gaming" to me. And even though TWG is about the art of deception and not being an idiot and is way more intricate than other forum games, it still is a forum game and not a video game or an art in the same sense as the others.

Alternatively, "Gaming" could be a board within Life & Arts with a Music Games subforum. But I think it works to have Music Games closer to the FFR and Stepmania boards.

Gaming
> Music Games
> General Video Games

Forum Games
> The Werewolf Game
--- subforums
> Other Forum Games

For titles of Arts board, they should either all be simplified ("Art" and "Music") or the simply-named ones should be given more quirky names. Consistency.

Because in art boards, you can talk about your own endeavors and the works of others, they would all have to be separated so an Arts section would be specifically one's own work and Life be any talk about other works. I was thinking "Tech Talk" and "Bits & Bytes" sound like a general versus individual tech forum. But the other art boards aren't split, so this one shouldn't be either. So I don't think Life & Arts needs to be split.

... Oh, I totally didn't even notice the Music and Audio Production Critique subforum. Other art boards may as well have that, too. At least art should, because that's a thing we do for SM files (so literary critique isn't as necessary). Though I don't think anyone wants to go through thousands of threads to sort existing critique threads into those subforums. I would if I could, haha.

"Fitness" sounds like something that could go into sports, because they're both physical activities. If they should be kept separate, it should be "Health & Fitness". The Sports board could also be renamed to something more quirky, but I don't have any ideas.

I think Music should be at top because this is a rhythm gaming website, and the rest can kind of be ordered by activity.

Life & Arts
> Musician's Jungle Gym
--- Music and Audio Production Critique
> HDTV 1080p (media board, renamed to match the art board)
> 32-Bit RGB
--- Art and Graphics Critique
> Bits & Bytes
--- Programming Help
> Reader's Corner (literature board, renamed to match the music board)
> Critical Thinking
--- Homework & Information
> Sports
> Health & Fitness