View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P
Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

0. What is/are your favorite genre(s)?
Classic Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc.), '90s Gangster Rap, Trance, and Classical.

1a. What do you consider good music, either in general or in concrete examples?
A good song has its structure based on a good novel, with a beginning, rising action, climax, and falling point. Not every song has to follow this structure but it's a good point. Also if the lyrics truly have meaning to them. More on this below

1b. How about bad music?
Repetitive music and beats. you know A MILLI A MILLI A MILLI A MILLI A MILLI etc. is terrible.

2. Are you biased against some genres because of the fans they tend to attract?
I'm a bit biased against country, and yes, it's mainly because usually low-class southerners listen to that shit.

3a. Do you make assumptions about fans of particular genres?
Absolutely! I don't think they're really terrible, and I certainly don't give a complete judgement of a person just based on their music tastes, but it gives a good idea of what their personality may be like.

3b. What are some of the stereotypes you are familiar with?
Pop: 12-14 year olds
Punk, Metal: People who aren't afraid to express themselves (usually with a slight obsession with tattoos, piercings, etc.)
Rock: Normal, "Chill" people
Rap: GhEtTo AzZ FugGgGk. By that I mean people who blast rap constantly come off as hard-asses, whether they are or not remains to be determined.
Classical: Older, Higher-class, sometimes "pompous" people.
Techno/Club music: WOAH DUDE IM ROLLING O_O (aka mostly clubbers, drug users [users not addicts mind you], etc.)
Dubstep: lol

3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?
See above

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/he/she/it?

No difference. It's all in the music

5. Do you think you have good taste in music?

I would say so, yes.

6. How objective do you think you are when you judge music?
Somewhat objective. In one of my previous answers, I said that bad lyrics could kill a song, but there are some exceptions. For example, Ludacris' lyrics aren't really the best, but the song/beat that goes with it makes it kinda good to listen to.

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?

Entire body.

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?

No.

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)
No. Most of my friends have a wide range of music tastes, so why hide it? If they don't like what I listen to, that's on them.

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?

I don't pay it any mind usually...although statements like "OMG Beatles is kid shit" when your favorite artist is Justin Bieber is laughable.

10b. What about particular songs/artists/genres?
Even less so.

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)
I took 2 years of high school piano and I have a gold medal at a recital to show for it.

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?
My former neighbor that I was cool with introduced me to a lot of good artists back in high school, and she has real good taste. I find new music through friends usually.

13a. Have your tastes or preferences changed over time?
Yeah, somewhat.

13b. If not, why not?
n/a

13c. If yes, in what way?
I went through different phases of my life. I actually couldn't stand any music except for VGM when I really young (kind of embarrassing, but hey, you asked.). Then when I hit 11 I went though this whole rap phase, blasting Eminem, Tupac, Cypress Hill, etc. Finally when I was 15 my music tastes started to really form.

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?
Music is subjective. It's a great aspect of our lives, but that the same time, I wish people wouldn't take it as seriously as they do. You don't have to revolve your entire life on music, especially when there's so much more to existence out there.

Last edited by A2P; 03-14-2012 at 11:21 AM..
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote