View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Least favorite movie of all time?

The Matrix: Revolutions:

The first Matrix is one of my favorite movies of all time, but the third movie in the franchise is a massive bomb and I refuse to ever watch it again. To me, it's a slap in the face from the Wachowski Brothers. They went from what worked (awesome philosophical questions + technological underpinnings) to lame cop-outs (religious non-explanations and plot-dodging).

Many HUGE questions were left hanging in the end. What, exactly, is Mobil Ave? How was Neo able to stop the Sentinels despite being outside of the Matrix? How in the blue hell did Cipher sneak into the Matrix without an operator to jack him in? These aren't just nitpicky fanboy questions... they're massive, plot-raping conundrums that seriously weaken the narrative.

Neo stopping the sentinels was a huge plot twist. There were so many ways it could have been resolved. The answer to the riddle, as stated by the Oracle, was basically "The One has powers outside the Matrix." Not even joking. The answer to the riddle was "Because he's the One." Total game-breaker. I was furious at how lazy that resolution was because it weakens the entire CONCEPT of the Matrix in the first place. So, what, is this no longer about the real world being dominated by robots and simulations anymore? Are we invoking supernatural influence? Is this a Matrix within a Matrix? None of it's answered. Characters are wasted and explanations are withheld. Emotional scenes fell flat. I remember everyone laughing during Trinity's death scene because it was so poorly acted and so cheesy. I wanted more elaboration on the backstory. There were many vague quotes thrown around hinting at histories that were never fleshed out (why is Seraph likened to Judas? What happened in the past between Seraph and Smith?).

And wtf was up with that final battle? It felt like a DBZ ripoff. I wanted intense martial arts, not CGI-riddled superhuman city-blasting. So much potential down the drain.

All in all, it was a shitty ending to a great buildup. The next time I would feel similar disappointment wouldn't come until the LOST finale, but that's another story.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote