View Single Post
Old 06-6-2018, 04:23 PM   #691
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 459: Clean by Soccer Mommy

This is what evolution sounds like, I suppose. Compared to the warbly, watery recording of the last release of hers I reviewed, this actually sounds like it was recorded in a studio with a full band! Normally, I'd see that as detrimental to my enjoyment but I'm not gonna jump there yet.

The songwriting unmistakably hits a few of the same beats, but this whole thing is definitely more power pop thanks to the fuller production. There are a decent amount of more relaxed cuts, but they're far and few between (highlight Blossom (Some Subtitle) comes to mind). Thankfully, I've adjusted my expectations and now I'm less here for lo-fi and more here for catchy melodies. And catchy this is! It's not flawless front-to-back (what the fuck was the point of that interlude?), but there's at least enough consistency to justify repeated listens.

Not the greatest or most unique album ever, but a decent, worthwhile listen nonetheless. I hope to see further evolution over the years. Still ain't paying no $60 to see her live with Liz Phair. To be honest I haven't listened to Liz Phair in many years now lol.

Best Track: Last Girl
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote