View Single Post
Old 05-7-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX
Default Re: What If You Were a High School Senior?

Yup, and I think wether it's determined by the school you're in or not is entirely obedient to the subjectivity of individuals.
You don't have to care about the professionnal PrEsTiGE the university you studied in gave you, it's a matter of view. You can care more about the knowledge and qualities you had by studying, getting a good doctorate with good grades for instance, coming from an average school. We're social beings yes, not "socially solely determined by the hierarchy of the places we belonged to" ----> No essentialism on that determining part.
Getting a doctorate in mathematics, no matter where it comes from, is still a great achievement. Moreover, I think there's mostly rich and top-of-the-hierarchy/elite families that can care about being in a great university for some inner reasons linked to social recognition (familiy name/tradition and all : "we're the elite so we have to be in top classes compared to the average people"). (You can recognize the people belonging to this social class by the place their degree(s) come from, it'll be prestigious schools/universities 95% of the time)

So, no reason why an Ivy league school is better than an average school other than what have been said ? No hypocrisy there, I really want to know. I know you don't HAVE to care, but what would make it better anyway ? What would make anybody desire getting in a top-class school excepting the reasons I've took into consideration ?

Last edited by ScylaX; 05-7-2012 at 12:32 PM..
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote