View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #75
fido123
FFR Player

Default Re: ACTA is about to succeed

(TL;DR at bottom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
"Stopping online piracy isn't a bad thing. It's understandably illigal to download things like albums and software. We just need to go about it carefully so it doesn't censor the internet or invade anybody's privacy, or punish people into poverty."

Understandably illegal and incredibly moronically stupid, backwards, greedy yet illegal fall into the same category here.
I think your ideology is moronic, stupid, backwards, and greedy. I program for a living. I build things that aren't quite tangible and can be copied and distributed with even more ease than a 700MB movie. I spent a lot of time learning how to program and gaining my current level of skill, and it takes months, if not around a year to work on some projects. If it were legal and sociably accepted in the business world to distributed all my work for free, I would be out of a job and probably work in a factory the rest of my life. Could you please tell me how that's fair? Just because what I make isn't tangible doesn't make it any less wrong to steal. I pirate things all the time, although understanding the moral implications, but I don't really feel that guilty when I steal a movie off the internet from a giant faceless corporation although I still understand it's wrong.

Quote:
When civilization figures out a way to not pay the tv networks (in a grand sense) of the world, and rather the individuals involved in actually creating a piece of art, perhaps we'll have a reason to get pissy about copyright laws.
How does Hollywood manage to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on some movies if they don't get any money? People who have created works of art like Larry David creating Seinfeld seem to be doing pretty well.

Quote:
But even beyond art and simple human enjoyment and benefit of watching a movie, listening to a song, etc etc etc.
Copyright laws aren't perfect and I agree they do need to change.

Quote:
Copyright laws are artificial barriers, and they are throw-overs from a time past, and no longer serve their purpose in a publicly beneficial way. Instead, they're walls that coporations which control media use to keep themselves as wealthy as possible. As technology advances, society and how it functions should also advance.
Without copyright laws hard working individuals who work in a moral manner like myself would be out of work.

Quote:
If you believe that downloading albums and software's illegal, think about your public library. Are libraries illegal? Why not? Man are they ballzy, they practically flaunt the fact that they not only have books for free, but yes! even movies and music. What has changed now from the industrial revolution when libraries became a 'thing', such that the idea of a digital libraries (ie: the internet) is wrong?
My mom works at a library and funny enough she was just talking about how the library can't possess certain fairly popular books/movies because the publishers won't allow it which I completely agree with. If you wrote a book, that it your intellectual property. People should be able to read your book and take the knowledge they learned from your book elsewhere but if the person who OWNS the intellectual property of the book doesn't want it in the library, I believe that person has every right to. Yes, people don't get to freely enjoy that person's property, but it's either that or she has no viable way of making a living doing what she does. If the intellectual property from books was allowed to be freely distributed as a law, and nobody bought books they just downloaded .pdfs and bought books from publishers, you'd have a lot less people writing books.

Quote:
And what about second-hand stores? Selling your old CD collection is far worse...whoever buys them isn't even paying the artist! They're paying some third party that's unconnected to the original artist, clearly second-hand stores are an epidemic of mass proportions that will lead to the downfall of society. Intellectual property rights are creeuz bznis.
I agree with that being illegal 100% because of points you've just mentioned. The money doesn't make it to the people who deserve it. It's the same as online piracy. I'm pretty sure there's a disclaimer on a lot of things like that saying it's illegal to re-sell the item.

Quote:
Ultimately, the difference between what's existed in terms of copyright infringment back then and now, is theease at which we can work around not paying for something.
The ease of it made it so far more people did it. With far more people doing it it becomes a problem actually worth some attention.

Quote:
Technology, which brought about the whole idea of 'albums' in the first place because you were limited by the size of your record or the roll of your tape, has surpassed the need to have producers and marketers and especially labels. Societies' have just been slow in catching up.
Then artists are free to do that. It doesn't all of a sudden make it unethical for corporations to sign into agreements with artists.

Quote:
People aren't slow to change, but filthy rich people who have innordinate power due to our free market philosophies, understandably, aren't ready to relinquish the Royal status that they have.
Again I'm sick of this idea that only the filthy rich benefit from intellectual ownership. It's plain wrong.

Quote:
Regardless if you think all this rambling is garbage though, fact is is that copyrights for individuals is 7 years vs ??? years for corporations, (thanks to Walt Disney apparently).
Agree'd

TL;DR
====================================================

I'd continue to quote bomb you but I'd be going over a lot of things so I'm just going to say my full opinion on it:

If I spend time and effort into making something, and I do indeed make something such as a computer program, a movie, a song, or a painting, that belongs to me because I made it, just like if somebody built a car with their own hands. It costs time, and money to do all of these things. It can take $100'000'000 to make a blockbuster, and can take tens of thousands of dollars to make the applications I deal with. It also takes knowledge and skill to do all of these things. Now I could keep everything I make to myself, or I can sell it to people under certain conditions. "If you buy my song, you're not allowed to distribute it to anybody else ok?" If you don't like that agreement, don't buy the song, it's not yours. You're not entitled to just take my song I've spend time and money on.

I agree copyright laws are long overdue for an overhaul, but this idea of it being perfectly fine and dandy to steal anything you want off the internet is totally retarded. Just because it's been done before in other ways doesn't make it right. The reason nobody cared about that so much back then was because those methods of going into second hand stores and stuff weren't really a big deal because it wasn't done nearly as much as online piracy today. Those other methods are still wrong assuming the terms and agreements say doing that isn't allowed. Your husband is in the wrong for downloaded somebody else's TV show, he only agrees to show people under certain conditions. I do it too. I hate this attitude of entitlement, just because something can be copied doesn't make it yours.

Last edited by fido123; 02-22-2012 at 10:06 AM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote