View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: A real guide on how to make a good simfile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky285 View Post
4. Use pitch relevance. To be more specific, step lower pitches more to the left and higher pitches more to the right. Usually this is relative to the surrounding notes. This might sound like a bit too specific for a Stepmania file, but pitch relevant patterns actually tend to be quite fun. It's ok to break pitch relevance to avoid otherwise annoying patterns like jacks and trills that would otherwise break the flow of the file.
I don't find stepping low pitches on the left and high pitches on the right to be terribly important. Pitch schemes can be however you want/need them to be, though going from left to right or down to up tends to be more intuitive. It just needs to remain consistent for as long as the instruments do or until a change is necessary.

Excellent guide. I don't have time to read it all right now, but I'm sure it's excellent. It looks excellent.

New simfile authors: these are great guidelines for you to go by. After you've mastered the fundamentals (made a lot of files with a good amount of time put into them), you can branch out and put your own spin on things. Normally, this happens without even trying from tendencies picked up earlier, perhaps modified slightly to be made more relevant. Put lots of effort into your files, reach out for constructive criticism from players and artists alike, and keep refining your methods.

Then, once you've gotten as good as you can, make a bunch of files so you actually leave some sort of legacy. I forgot about that part, myself.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote