View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #98
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: An Album A Day Keeps The Doctor Away | 365 Album Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
I want to see some more 8+ reviews. :3
We'll see if there would be more, haha. I've heard a preview of an album and it might be an 8.5, all I need to do is find it digitally...

May 23rd, 2014
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Engaged Touches by Celer
Part One
(This is my first listen.)
A train station in the distance. A sight of happy families walking in and out of trains. Isn't that beautiful? I wonder what it'd be like. The sun is setting. I'm here sitting directly outside the train station, watching swarms of people move in one swift movement. It becomes difficult to keep track of what's going on at points, even though it's just a patch of people in one area. Are they comfortable there? I wonder what it'd be like.

A train passes by from another direction, so I turned around to see where it's going to. I see that the sky is now orange. The occasional breeze passes by me. Normally I'd shiver, but for some reason they're welcoming in this instance. I walk away from the train station, only to realise that the winds are actually following me. They're eager to follow me. Is this what it's like to have a family? The winds are so gentle, it makes me feel comfortable. I continue to move forward to the blank orange sky, only to realise the winds are dancing happier than before. It seems like they're happy because I'm doing what they want to do. It seems almost childish, but all so real. I feel like a father, but I'm really not. I'm just a man who has no goal nor future. All I'm doing... is just bringing these winds to where they want to go.

This feeling is so surreal. I've never felt like this before. The gentle warmth of being together with... family. Is this what it's supposed to feel? It honestly feels really nice. I don't think I've ever felt this before - even as a child. The sounds of winds laughing in the distance, the grass is greener than usual, and the sky is just as bright as it ever was. I want this feeling to last forever... it's so comfortin-

Flash.

Huh? Where did they go? Where am I?

The warm sky I once knew is now bleak. The winds I've felt? They don't exist anymore. I have absolutely no idea where I am at the moment. What... happened? Where did I get here? I was curious, so I walked a bit more to where I was facing. My feet were getting sore - I don't think I've felt this while I was walking. Was I even conscious at the time? I felt like I zoned out or something.

My train of thought was snapped by the sounds of machines cranking and working. I felt like my eyes were open again. Desolate buildings, emotionless factories and mundane piles of scrap metal in the distance. As unpleasant as it looked to me, I felt connected to it. It feels like I've been here before. This is almost where I was before I started watching trains. I lost everything, I was nothing. I should've stayed in that heap, I wouldn't be into this situation if it weren't for this. Maybe I should do what I'm supposed to do years ago. I should actually stay in that heap and never leave. It feels like the best option anyway.

As I walked closer to the bleak patch of land, another train passed by. It was far longer than I anticipated. I don't even know any train that was this long, let alone any train that came from this direction. What is this trying to tell me? I don't belong here? This place isn't for you? Whatever it is, I'm not letting that change my mindset. It's going to take a lot more than just a mere interruption to-

The sun was shining, the sky is blue again.

The winds that left me came back to me. They were happier than ever. It almost feels like they missed me. I could feel its sadness, but they were ultimately happy that I'm there with them. I'm... tearing up. It's like someone gave me another chance. Someone gave me everything I've lost - although it isn't much. But these winds... feel like people I care about. It almost feels like they care for me, so it's only fair to care for them back. I feel... human again. It's almost wonderful. Hold on... is that a city in the distance? Maybe I could live there. Yeah... it'd bring something more interesting in my life. Come on wind, let's go.

A train passes behind me, there's no turning back now. This is my future. This is something that I want. Something that truly matters to me.
Phew, I'm exhausted. Where was I... oh yeah. Engaged Touches. I forgot to explain what this album is. Celer is the drone/ambient project of Will Long and Danielle Bauqet-Long. From 2009 afterwards, Will was working on the project by himself, due to the death of Danielle. Regardless, Celer has made tons and tons of albums. Arguably the most prolific drone/ambient act out there. A total of 129 albums, including EPs and singles. Obviously not all of their albums are great, or even good - but there are a couple of gems. Capri and Discourses of the Withered are some of my favourite ambient albums. It's to be expected though, usually prolific artists has that one or two albums that really click.

Engaged Touches consists of two tracks, both uninspiredly named, Part 1 and Part 2. I've already given my thoughts of Part 1 in a narration. If you scrolled all the way down here, I'll give you a summary. It's varied, it's sombre, it's tragic, it's beautiful. What really struck out to me was the variation, although the transitions felt very iffy. I wasn't quite sure whether it was supposed to show that you snapped out of a dream state, or just a bad transition altogether. Going with the latter though. Even then, it varies between warmth and bleakness well enough to keep it fresh throughout. Although these drones aren't really nothing new, they are still beautiful nonetheless. There isn't much I can complain about, but I can't say that I really like it. It is one of Celer's most beautiful works for sure, but I don't think I enjoy it as much as I should.

Part Two is much darker, with its lower-pitched drones. Even the brighter points of the track feels very melancholic. It almost feels like happiness that came from sorrow. Reminds me a bit of the last movement of the first track, in fact. The rest of the track just becomes darker and far more depressing. It's more familiar territory for me, as I'm more used to tracks that are dark. Unfortunately, as dark as it is, it's not as dark as it wants to be. While the subtle sounds of field recordings amplify the creepy atmosphere, it doesn't help much. There are other artists, in fact other tracks Celer has made that executed it better. A track like The Carved God Is Gone; Waking Above the Pileus Clouds from Discourses of the Withered felt way darker. It's more visceral, more aggressive in its approach. This track feels a bit too... underwhelming. When I close my eyes and relax the effect becomes far more surreal, however. I'm guessing this is more of a track that you should listen while you're asleep.

There really isn't a reason for the track to be 40 minutes though. It does get darker for sure, but the difference isn't significant. Most tracks from Discourses of the Withered outmatch this in the depression category. I think this track could be way shorter, maybe 25-30 minutes at most. It's just too long-winded otherwise. Although I think most long drone tracks should be really long (Darkest Before Dawn, etc.), this is an exception. The feeling isn't as visceral as many other tracks. At least, the dark parts are. The uplifting bits are actually really beautiful. It's just a little bit of a shame that the dark bits take most of the spotlight though.

Celer has made better albums, but this is one that any ambient/drone enthusiast should get. Part 1 is a great experience throughout and Part 2 is still quite good, despite its flaws. It might be a little too long at points, but taking it in parts would still be effective. Not really recommended if you're not quite interested in drone though.

Album Highlights: -
Track Average Rating: -
Overall Rating: 7.5/10

Boston by Boston (recommended by rushyrulz)
Boston is a classic rock band from well, Boston. From I've read, Boston is a bit of a one-hit wonder. Boston is their most successful album, and their other albums seem to be rather weak in comparison. Their self-titled album, seems to be generally hard rock.

Before I start, let me just say that I have a pretty strong distaste for "classic" rock. Most of them seem to be too trite, too slapstick. These songs haven't really aged well, they just become too bland overall. Of course there are a few songs that stand out (I still like RHCP quite a bit), but they're pretty far and wide. It's not really something that I'd listen to, mainly because I feel that the main enjoyment comes from nostalgia. Another interpretation of "I'm born in the wrong generation", basically. It's also the reason why Gamma is recommending me Pantera. Fuck you Gamma.

Sigh. Anyway, More Than A Feeling is actually quite nice. At least, for hard rock standards. It's a bit cliche with its generic "boy meets girl" lyrics, but it's honestly not bad. It's catchy and it's a very fun tune. Not really something that I'd like, but I could see why many others would like this. Most of the other tracks don't do much for me, they're too unmemorable. Even if they're memorable, they're usually too cheesy. Seems to be a problem with hard rock, honestly. I'm guessing you're supposed to like music like this just like how you like power metal. Unfortunately neither genre are my cup of tea.

Yeah... I'm at the fifth track and I'm still feeling this way. I really don't get the appeal of hard rock, other than just nostalgia. I don't think this album would be as well received if it's released 3 or 4 years ago instead. The lack of variation doesn't help much either. Hitch a Ride is mainly acoustic, but it's just as cheesy as the other tracks, if not more so. The rest of the album is the same old pop rock/hard rock filler. Even if I liked hard rock, I could still imagine myself wanting to have more variation than just this. It's not just bland, it's also kinda unpleasant to listen to. There's something uncomfortable to me about listening to music this joyful and cheesy, not sure what.

I didn't listen to the entire thing, I can't really stomach most of these. None of these tracks really interest me at all, in fact I'd much rather stay from them. I can't quite say that I hate the album though, I just don't think it'd be a good idea to listen to this again.

And that's about it. I don't like classic rock.

Album Highlights: More Than A Feeling
Track Average Rating: 1.81/5
Overall Rating: 3/10

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-29-2014 at 08:58 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote