Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #25
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Review Thread v2.0

CONTINUATION OF APRIL 10, 2012 BATCH

[PASS] Files

If your submission was not reviewed with a numerical rating OR was given a [PASS] rating, then these judges will review it. All such files will end up here.

TC_Halogen

Kommicore (0 + Choofers)
Rating: [+.] [6/10]
-> offset is good up to zoom 8 in DDream, but there's no way the right BPM is used, because notes start getting nearly twenty milliseconds off from where they should be landing at the end of the song (-3)

- 14.734: not 16ths (should be 12ths, at 14.734, 14.820, and 14.906) (-0.5)
- 59.360: 16th streaming? I'm not sure it's uninterrupted... (-0.5)
- honestly, chart is pretty easy to follow, albeit pretty hard; aside from the sync. The run isn't the most called for thing, though.

Mmmmmmm (icontrolyourworld)
Rating: [+.] [7/10]
-> offset looks good, sync is good too

- not going to lie, at first I wanted to just give you like a 4/10 for how long and repetitive the jumpstream is. (-2)
- however, a point for passing a file like this is that there really isn't any other stamina-heavy jumpstream file like this, and it is appropriately executed.
- 88.237: if you really wanted to be mean, you could switch the direction of the roll to accommodate for the fade into reverse bass-drum
- 252.623: this boost in layering doesn't seem called for, really (-1)
- some relevance to vocals or melody would have been really nice, but I'm not going to complain
- this file has a very old school touch, for sure; very heavy jump usage typically geared toward some sort of percussion, whether it be claps, drums, or even following the melody, you always know what a jump is following.
- definitely interested in seeing the kind of scores this file will produce

jimerax

FFReedom (MarioNintendo) [6/10]
small comments.
m42- inconsistency for higher square sounds?
m66- last blue hand can be double or single.
m67- it will be more interesting by layering rhythm parts (there're already similar parts)
No major issues and mildly enjoyable, a bit generic/bland feelings for playing (could be improved a bit more).

Mo-Ko-Mo-Core (hi19hi19) [5/10]

Voice, SFX parts are interestingly done but overall repetitive for nearly 5min song.
Mainly due to the structure of the song. Songcut is preferred, in my opinion.
Technically, mostly understandable but felt some jumpstream sections are quite overlayered (jumps for every 8th).
Overall, not bluntly wrong and might be food for JS practice or patience competition, otherwise kinda boring/painful to play in general.

Through Peaks and Valleys (Bynary Fission) [1/10]

gets totally offsync after m16 (obvious BPM mistakes), not playable due to this.
gap is early for about 40ms, too.

kjwkjw

.357 Magnum (Frozen Beat) [+] (8/10)
==========
- Good chart for a wonderful song! I like your hand usage.
- Just little suggestions regarding the note patterns - beat 130.25 on m. 33 would be nice with a jump other than [14] because it's different from the preceding chord. Same with beat 162.25 on m. 41. ([34] would be a good choice)
- m. 85 - beats 338.75 ~ 340.00 - the pattern here is a little awkward to hit, especially with that left note on beat 339.50. Experiment with different patterns?

Star Wars Anthology (Sticklydude) [+] (8/10)
==========
- Hehe, the chart's gotten better!
- m. 22 (beat 86) to m. 29 (beat 114) feel a little empty, though it does make the main melody stand out. Still, even little things like adding a jump on m. 26, beat 102.00 could go a long way.
- m. 31 (beat 120 ~ 122) - 16ths here?
- m. 37 (beat 144.75) - maybe use a different jump here since the note is different from the preceding jump? There are a few other spots like this, although it's personal preference.
- In the first half, you could vary up some of the 14 trills you use, since the song itself doesn't offer much variation. They don't even have to be trills; for example, you could try this for m. 46:

- m. 64 on was fun, no complaints :P
- suggestion: halve the BPM from m. 108 to the end of the song? Just for expressiveness =P

Tequila (Anaru) [+.] (7/10)
==========
- Quite better than the last time I played this, haha
- Hands feel a little frequent, although you can keep them as is because they accent parts pretty well.
- m. 18 - missing a note on beat 70.50?
- m. 38 - beats 150.00 & 151.00 - I can see why you put hands here, but jumps should suffice.
- m. 40 - beats 158.00 ~ 159.50 - not sure why these aren't all jumps, as there was a similar section on m. 32 for which you used 4 consecutive jumps (beat 126.00~). Given how often jumps come up, changing m. 32 to the way you layered m. 40 wouldn't be a bad idea.
- m. 42 - consider ending the file with a [14] (you could move the notes before that around if you don't want to create a minijack, but that's up to you)

THE LITTLE MERMAID (hi19hi19) [+?] (5/10)
==========
- lmao, doesn't feel like much was changed from last time; check my notes from last time for overall thoughts since they still kinda apply
- m. 13 - beats 50 ~ 51 are still off - feels like it needs to be something like this, although it's still not completely accurate because of the BPM change:

- For how dense the file is, you -could- layer in some jumps for m. 21~23

World End's Yama Xanadu (0) [+.] (7/10)
==========
- Still feels a little repetitive (both chart and song). The file changes as much as the song does so no problem there !_!
- Some of my comments from the January batch still apply - 16th buildup in certain sections could be really effective (e.g. m. 79~80, 226~227, 321~324)
- Could be a neat long file if players are into that stuff, so here, have an extra point from last time

A FLOWER GARDEN (bmah) [+.] (7/10)
==========
- lol that discord at the beginning
- m. 17 - this jumpglut section feels pretty long. Doesn't seem very consistent in terms of layering either, considering not much changes in the song from right before.
- A couple of sections are pretty mean compared to the rest of the file (the trill on m. 31~32, trills on m. 35~38, the ending). Besides that, nothing that takes away from the fun of the file.

Corporal Jigsaw Quandary (hi19hi19) [+?] (5/10)
==========
- Another file that's technically fine, but drags
- The long, 302BPM streams that come up from m. 47 still seem rough compared to the rest of the file (the patterns did seem more simplified from last time, though)
- Placeholder could be moved up a little; doesn't really seem to be a need to include all 11 seconds of what's in between
- Consider either a cut (if you want to keep the difficulty at top notch), or a toning down of the streams (for difficulty consistency)

It's Too Loud (YOSHl) [+] (8/10)
==========
- Nice short file here, no real complaints. Good work with catching the little 16ths that come up from m. 45.
- If I *had* to pick out stuff, it'd be tiny issues like "the pink note on m. 13 feels slightly late" - where I might be wrong (and it shouldn't matter once it's on FFR anyway).
- also I hate it when all the notes are layered and suddenly they stop

DATA DRAIN (FFR Pro 21) [?] (3/10)
==========
- no.
- with FFR at 30fps, this file will just be "broken" stream with a mess of notes 0 or 1 frame apart
- Also, if you think about it, there's almost zero variation in the file - it's the same rhythm repeated over and over (but gradually speeding up the second time around). Even some jump usage in the first half would've been nice. (e.g. m. 14, beats 52.00 ~ 53.50, etc.) Or constant 16th stream from m. 32 beat 126.00, leading up to the speedup section.
- Was expecting something different from the SM chart, but askdfhskjhgsfmasdmf.

Duncan Hills Cover (trumaestro) [+.] (6/10)
==========
- Nothing too interesting, but not bad either.
- m. 19 (beat 74) - note here, as you're following the guitar as well
- Check the rhythm on m. 29 and m. 31. You -could- leave the 24ths as is for the other bits, but for those two sections at least, you might want to check if there should be a few more notes. Up to you; given the difficulty of the rest of the file, it doesn't need to be super-technical)
- m. 34 (beat 135 ~ 136) - step the drumroll? It stands out.
- m. 36 - last yellow note isn't really necessary.

KOMMICORE (0 + Choofers) [+?](5/10)
==========
- Not feeling this one, rofl
- m. 38 - jump usage is weird here; seems like you were using them for both the background drumbeats and vocals, which gets confusing
- Last jumpstream (m. 56~) is pretty awkward and difficulty-inconsistent
- lol abrupt ending

Mmmmmmm (icontrolyourworld) [+?] (4/10)
==========
- The song title reflects my thoughts upon first seeing this file
- Song itself is pretty darn repetitive - feels even longer than 4:22. Strongly recommend a cut.
- Almost all of the file is straight jump/handstream. At almost 18tps. (The midsection was a good change of things) Granted, it's Sharpnel, but the chart feels like it's better suited for SM than for FFR
- Your layering starts off great, but once you start layering multiple instruments over the basic 16th stream, it causes jumps/hands everywhere, which takes away from emphasizing certain beats. It just feels like generic hard jumpstream with hands mixed in.
- Could be a fun chart for higher-end players, but the file does need some variation/shortening. Otherwise (from a technical point of view) there's not much that's weird.

The Bird's Midair Heatstroke (DossarLX ODI) [+.] (6/10)
==========
- Has me worried about framerness, but otherwise it's a fine technical chart. lol 344k BPM
- m. 4 - consider making the jacks alternate every 2 notes. Also feels weird when there are anchors. Same for m. 7, etc.
- m. 22 - beats 84.6xx ~ 85.2xx - notes aren't too audible here, could take those out (except for the up note)
- m. 29 - just a suggestion: a slight tone-down from beat 112.50? The buzz isn't too clear...
- Last bit was fun lol

The Earth Blew Up v2 (Choofers) [+.] (6/10)
==========
- The "dump" in the title had me worried at first
- Not sure if a v2 of this is necessary, although I wouldn't mind having this version instead of the one that's already on FFR
- Consider changing patterns around for some of the long trills that show up from m. 79. They seem pretty similar to the ones in the already-accepted chart. (e.g. have different trill patterns for m. 99 and 100)
- The little jumpstreams on m. 65, 69, etc. feel slightly weird (I do hear all the 16ths, but maybe try experimenting with other rhythms/patterns)

Through Peaks and Valleys (Bynary Fission) [?] (2/10)
==========
- Offset is early (~40ms)
- There's an issue with the BPM changes that makes the whole file go offsync - move every change down by 1 measure (4 beats) and see if this fixes the problem.

Last edited by bmah; 06-22-2012 at 02:44 AM..