shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Review Thread v2.0

CONTINUATION OF OCTOBER 1, 2011 BATCH

Judge Team 3

qqwref

asterisk (bmah) - [+]
Playtest: Solid, fun, and relaxing; great use of hands and 8th jacks. The only thing I'd change is the one 16th jack in m36 (for the sake of consistency).
Editor: Technically, layering and rhythms are mostly fine. The 12th rhythms at the end seem wrong (on low rate I hear 132.4.) but this isn't really a big problem.

Captain Murasa's Ass Anchor (Gundam-Dude) - [+?]
Playtest: There were some parts where it seemed like you ignored the foreground/obvious vocals/rhythms, which is okay but made the chart feel unsatisfying. The color association parts with the 4th/8ths were a really neat effect, though.
Editor: In some parts I really have no clue what you're doing with those 16ths (or lack thereof), like in m31. Some of the color parts, like the burst in m41, are okay to hit but don't fit what's going on in the music. There's stuff like this throughout the file, and overall it really needs a lot more attention as to what the song is doing.

Disco Balls (bmah) - [+]
Playtest: Fun chart, with cool jack usage. You didn't need to bother with the xmod tricks though
Editor: The swing thing in m31-32 makes absolutely no sense when playing the file at normal rate. There are also some layering issues such as the jump at the very start of m43, which is clearly emphasized less than the surrounding jumps and should have fewer arrows to reflect this. Although a few spots feel iffy, overall, the layering is fine.

FAREST HARDSTYLERZ (samurai7694) - [?]
Playtest: To be honest I found this file really boring. The first 85ish seconds is extremely repetitive, and I know you varied up the patterns, but I really wish a lot of that had been cut out. This just isn't a good song to step.
Editor: I don't get why you didn't layer the 4th note jumps from m64 on. It created a huge contrast to the heavily stepped intro, and not in a good way.

Obscene Amount of Steam (iironiic) - [+.]
Playtest: This file played pretty comfortably, but I have to say it felt empty and subdued compared to some of your other burst charts. It's good, but not as enjoyable as it could be.
Editor: There were a lot of little parts where a burst or grace note is conspicuously absent. A few are at 31.71s, 33.38s, 36.04s, 38.38s, 42.38s, 43.04s, 43.71s, 75.04s, 83.38s, 117.38s, 117.71s, 118.04s, and I'm sure there are a lot more. Basically there are a ton of missed opportunities to do interesting things that match the sound of the song, and I know you can do better than this. Oh, and there was also a weird minijack at the end of m85 that you should fix.

Ochitsukeruwakenaiwayo! [Heavy] (jimerax) - [+]
Playtest: Neat chart. Fun and tricky, with some nice variation which all made sense in the context of the song.
Editor: The 32nds in m3, m7, m37, m42, m46, and m72 don't fit - for all of them I'd say to either remove the roll or tone it down to a slower pattern that matches the music better. Rolls in general are familiar enough that it's not a big deal, but it hurts the feel of the file.

Piano x Forte x Scandal (dag12) - [+.]
Playtest: This is a fun and technical chart, with some interesting patterns. It seemed really biased towards the right hand (often the right arrow specifically) which led to some jacks and trills (m8, m19, m64, m87, m90, m96) that were harder to hit than they should be. Difficulty spikes are fine but they should be from the song (such as those neat colored trills throughout the file) and not from the stepartist.
Editor: Technically this file seems fine, but I'd prefer it if you followed the vocals a little more (or more obviously, if you're already layering them in). While playing it felt like only the background mattered.

Power Rocket (justin_ator) - [+.]
Playtest: Interesting chart that does a good job of matching the feel of the song. You should try for more intuitive PR in the slower sections, though; matching the pitch changes in the song can really add a lot to the immersive feel of the chart. For instance the 8th jack in m5 would feel better if it was "higher" (more right) than the 8th jack in m4.
Editor: I don't understand the 12ths in m49 and m53 - I just don't hear anything in the song that matches them. The 16th jack on the final note is also out of place.

Powerpuff Gabberz (HammyMcSquirrel) - [++]
Playtest: I found this really fun, great file. The patterns were varied but still had a good connection to the song, and the patterns were friendly to hit.
Editor: I'm thinking the 16th trill in m79 should be a roll. Also the first (and maybe second) 16th in m116 should be removed.

Press Start (YOSHl) - [+.]
Playtest: This was pretty fun, and quite different from what I normally see. Some of these patterns are a lot more awkward than they need to be, though, and I can anticipate a lot of annoyance from them. Specifically I'm talking about the jumpjacks in m3-4 and m48-49, the reversing roll in m19-m20 (make it jumptrillable), and the weird right-handed pattern at the start of m77.
Editor: The color bursts in m40 are wrong (listen on assist tick at a low rate).

R!OT (Raskanally) - [+?]
Playtest: The biggest thing I noticed was that the patterns and rhythms were really inconsistent. In some places you'd have a really difficult jack or jumpjack, and then in another place you'd hear almost the same thing from the music but have no jacks in the pattern at all. The 32nd patterns in m11 don't seem to show up again, which was a pity because there were lots of similar sounds in the song that could be made interesting. In general the chart felt pretty random. In addition, the use of longer jacks in m33, 35, 37, 43, etc. (and especially 65) should really be avoided because of FFR's combo scoring nature. Jacks of more than 2-3 notes at that speed should be avoided unless the entire chart has a similar difficulty.
Editor: There are some weird missing 16th patterns like at the end of m83, and the jacks at the end (m97 on) are one note too long. You should also aim for better PR in the faster sections - that is, try to match the pitch patterns in the music as much as possible without making the chart too hard to hit - and go for a more consistent use of jumps and hands.

Rainbow Road (hi19hi19) - [++]
Playtest: The emphasis, PR, and rhythms all made sense, and this was a really pleasant and relaxing chart to play, just like the song deserved. Great job.
Editor: I would have liked to see the green jump at the very start placed differently, but I do see what you were trying to do there. Sweet rainbow effect at the end; I'd like to point out that pink notes are pretty bright on the FFR engine and you might be better off with red-orange-yellow-green-teal-blue-purple.

Reality Hits You Hard Bro (DossarLX ODI) - [+]
Playtest: lol songify. This is a good fun chart that follows the vocals well (and it's cool that you managed to use 16th rhythms even though there were tons of bpm changes). The only complaint I really have is that the PR could match the song a lot better, but it's alright as is.
Editor: Layering and sync are fine, PR as I've said could be improved but is good enough.

Rocket Flight (ninjaKIWI) - [+]
Playtest: Fun little chart. The js patterns were different than I usually see and the broken stream patterns near the end were interesting to hit. I'd get rid of that minijack in m16 though.
Editor: Looks good from here; I wasn't sure of some of the broken rhythms on normal speed but they make sense when slowed down.

Sora ha Yoku Aru Kyoshoku no Genshou (Condoct) - [+?]
Playtest: I liked the sections with shorter trills and straight jumpstream, but some other parts were a lot less fun to hit. There are a lot of 3-note jacks in the middle of jumpstream, and I see that you were trying to use them for emphasis, but there are other ways that are far less awkward to hit and combo, such as a 3-note jumptrill. The 24th trills from m111 to m115 are pretty fast and should be broken up a bit for the sake of variety and playability.
Editor: The layering in certain places really needs to be stepped up. For instance, the 8th stream in m14-20 feels really bland right after the jumpstream and bursts. Try to make the overall difficulty more constant so that the slow sections aren't boring - it shouldn't feel like the slower sections were layered less than they could be, if the fast sections are so difficult. The 24th-to-32nd bursts you use throughout the file feel overdone because of the low energy of the whooshing noise, and I think they'd be a lot better as just 24ths. Also, the 16th jack at the very end of the file makes no sense, you missed a 24th section in m112, and the trills in m122-m124 would make a lot more sense as runningmen.

Starry Sky (TANUKI BOOTLEG) (_.Spitfire._) - [+]
Playtest: Fun chart - the js patterns felt pretty good to play although they were dense, and the jacks were appropriate. You might want to fix the yellow-note syndrome in the beginning, unless you did it for effect (I can't really tell).
Editor: Looks good.

Stately, Wrong (who_cares973) - [+]
Playtest: This is a really neat chart with very interesting use of BPM changes. I think you should change the long jacks in the 32nds section to trills, though, because you use jacks at the exact same speed in other places for ephasis, and so in that section the dynamics of the song and the chart are really at odds with each other. In the end I decided not to take a point off for this because the chart is so cool otherwise, but I do think it should be changed.
Editor: Mostly looks pretty solid. There are some parts in the 230bpm section where I'd add a 4th or 8th note from the vocals, but it works like this too. Oh yeah, and I'd get rid of the last 3 notes (it'd feel better to end with the 12th roll).

Stay Crunchy (who_cares973) - [+]
Playtest: Solid chart; nothing really amazing or groundbreaking about it, but it does a good job of conveying the music and there isn't really anything wrong with it.
Editor: Seems to be technically fine.

Sunless Daybreak (psychoangel691) - [+]
Playtest: Fun upbeat chart, good music. The use of halved/quartered BPM was good, with the intensity changes in the song being obvious in the file.
Editor: I'd add more layering in certain parts, but it's really up to opinion; just be consistent with whatever you end up choosing. For instance, I'd put a jump to the claps on alternating 4ths in the intro, and to the higher-pitched foreground melody notes in m41-52.

Tasteless (JSH) - [+.]
Playtest: Is this song supposed to be really noisy or is it just a low quality mp3? Anyway this song plays alright, but it's a little long and it wouldn't really hurt to cut it a bit. (3)
Editor: The sync at the beginning (and any other vocals) needs some serious work, because it just doesn't fit into a flat 16th rhythm. There is this one pattern of four claps in a row that you often stepped as a right-handed trill (like in m20), but it would fit much better as a jack or possibly a jumptrill, and at this speed you really shouldn't worry about 16th jacks being too difficult to hit. Finally the rising pattern in m49-m50 should be faster than 16ths to provide some contrast with the rest of the file - I suggest either a 24th stream or a standard 32nd roll.

The earth blew up (bob bob) - [++]
Playtest: I didn't expect it from hearing the song, but this was actually a really good, fun chart, with interesting patterns that matched it really well. Cool stuff, just please change up the longer one-handed trills in m72-74.
Editor: Seems technically fine.

THE LITTLE MERMAID (hi19hi19) - [-]
Playtest: The chart felt like a dump to me; the use of hands and quads was a bit much, and the bursts were pretty awkward to hit (not quite jumptrillable) and didn't go to any discernible rhythm. I don't know if this is a serious file or not but either way it's not at all what I'm looking for for FFR charts.
Editor: So yeah, on closer inspection those 48th bursts just go to a scream, which is not really acceptable by FFR standards. In addition, listening to this chart on assist tick, it is drastically offsync in many places, sometimes by so much that I feel like I'm hitting the 16ths between the actual hits in the song. I appreciate that you tried to use ddream but it really didn't work out here.

The Others (Darkbreezee) - [?]
Playtest: There are some really awkward parts in this file - many of the 32nd bursts (in m4, m8, m20, m24, m92-95, m101-102, and some other places), and the jumpjacks in m101, didn't flow at all. The jumpstream parts are okay but they often feel too heavy, as if you stepped for difficulty rather than trying to go to the song. (2)
Editor: There are also big problems with rhythms. For instance, in the section that roughly goes from m33 to m64, the 16th rhythm is x.xx.xxx, but you have treated it like x.xxxxxx the whole way through. I don't know if you were just trying to layer 8ths onto it or what, but not trying to emphasize this pattern was a big mistake because that section ends up feeling like random jumpstream instead of an accurate stepfile. (Other jumpstreamy parts of the file had similar issues where you seemed to ignore the rhythms in the song, or at least layer right over them.) There's also some serious inconsistency with bursts and 16ths; in places like m76 and m80, and the section starting at m98, you didn't step a buzz or a background 16th rhythm that otherwise would have made sense. If you were trying to match the feel of the song, the solution there is not to ignore the pattern and leave the player confused, but to use patterns that are less dense and easier to hit so that that section of the chart doesn't feel as intense as the others.

Treasure Planet (megamon88) - [+]
Playtest: Solid and interesting file. The layering was done well, the 8th jacks during the slow section in m59-m74 felt good, and the bursts were unusual but not *too* awkward. Wouldn't hurt to get rid of some of the one-handed minitrills in the 24ths though.
Editor: Looks good; the bursts make more sense on low rate than on normal, but that's fine.

Try To Star (Rebirth) - [+]
Playtest: Something must've gone seriously wrong here, because there is a HUGE offset issue. I changed it to -2.327. Anyway, fun file. I think you should break up the long trill in m58-59 and do some more work on the slow section in m74-m91 (specifically I'm thinking more PR, and I'd like to see jumps on the 4ths in m74), but overall it's quite well done.
Editor: Technically it looks pretty good, nothing really objectively wrong.

VS PSYCHOSHY (megamon88) - [++]
Playtest: Awesome chart, with great use of PR on the 4th/8th jumps throughout. The song really came through and it was fun to play too.
Editor: I hear a 16th in m60 and m64 that you missed. Otherwise it's quite solid.

Warren (who_cares973) - [+]
Playtest: A nice, relaxing, comfortable easy file; well done.
Editor: No complaints.

We Will Fly (ichliebekase) - [+]
Playtest: Solid chart, and pretty interesting too. I would have liked to see some more jumps in the minijack sections, but it's fine like this.
Editor: The jacks in the end (m65 on) don't feel quite as appropriate as the ones in the middle of the song did, but it's really a subjective thing.

Wolf by Night, Human in Dreams (woker-X) - [+]
Playtest: Good fun chart with some cool 12th patterns. I'd remove all of the 16th minitrills at the very end though (they are too quiet in the song).
Editor: In m57-62 some of the 4ths should be jumps.

wow dis shore is a grate song (0) - [+?]
Playtest: This was really awkward to hit. There were a lot of long 8th/4th jacks pretty much everywhere, including anchoring jacks, and the heavy jumpstream bursts were pretty tough too (although I guess they were as easy to hit as they could be given the density of the patterns you chose). I'm just not seeing this as a good fit for FFR at all.
Editor: Seems accurate...

Xanthystrauma (MarioNintendo) - [?]
Playtest: This one gets a "too hard" from me. One- and two-handed 12th jumpjacks, long 32nd and 24th rolls, long 8th jumpjacks with awkward Scythe of 13 type patterns... (and what the hell was that 32nd burst in m148?) Plus, in many places, you didn't add some much-needed variety to the patterns, so there were a ton of long jumpjacks that could have been cool patterns. A much more reasonable chart of this file is definitely possible, and this feels extremely unfinished. (1-2)
Editor: The 16th 1234321 patterns at the start are not good; when you have legit 16th stream/patterns later in the file it feels really wrong to have straight 16ths be used for a burst. The slow section needs something other than the spread-apart 64th things to show the pitch changes, e.g. put something before the second 4th in m43. At least the bursts in the faster section seem accurate.

You Got Served (00Razor00) - [+.]
Playtest: I'm not generally a big fan of this genre, but this was overall a pretty solid file. The 48th roll is a problem, though; while the rest of the file is generally pretty comfortable to hit, that's by far the hardest thing in the chart. I appreciate your efforts to try to PR a 315bpm stream but it needs to be either dumbed down or made much simpler (something like a straight roll).
Editor: It looks accurate enough, and the layering makes sense.

MarioNintendo

Asterisk (bmah) [+]

A clean, well wrapped up file. there's nothing much I can say. Your ability to use hands is simply dazzling.

Suggestion:

78.52s: The jump you included here seems misplaced compared to all of the other jumps representing the same sound throughout the song (refer to 75.57s and 82.33s for example). I simply suggest you iron it all up

Captain Murasa's Ass Anchor (Gundam-Dude) [+]

I can barely play this file, but that's only because I'm not good at the game. xP The file is throughly entertaining. My only gripe is that when you step speech, it goes so fast that it gets even a bit too fast at times. (see 48.19s or 53.09s, those are the parts I'm talking about) That's entirely subjective, though. The rest of the file is gold!

Disco Balls (bmah) [++]

Pure beatmania 5th style style, this song rushes in my stepmania folder to deliver its brilliance.

46.01s: What!? Stops?
48.48s: Slowdowns mixed with stops!?
52.34s: WHAT THE HELL THAT'S AWESOME.

Overall, you took a perfect song, captured all of its themes in mere arrows and even rolled it up in some unnecessary x-mods which we'll never be able to see in game to make it even more ridiculously great. I salute you.

FAREAST HARSTYLERS (samurai 7694) [+.]

While there are no real technical errors in this file, it gets very, very repetitive. Think about this, from 12.12s to 86.21s , which is 74.09s long, we're playing the same exact patterns with only slight variations. It does get boring after a while. It is indeed the song which suggests this, but I guess a more appropriate song choice would've helped.

Obscene Amount Of Steam (iironiic) [+]

So damn accurate. I didn't enjoy the song itself since it never seemed to take off, but I can't help but notice how precise those steps were. I can't give anything less than a (+). That progress you made is impressive, Wilson. Remove the placeholder note at the end, though. xD

Ochitsukeruwakenaiwayo! (Jimerax) [+]

O-chi-tsu-ke-ru-wa-ke-nai-wa-yo... What the f... Pretty solid file, I must say!! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go play this song again. It's everything FFR, I love it.

Piano x Forte x Scandal (dag12) [+]

When I first played this file, I thought it was going to be a disaster. Who could take on the greatness of the almighty Piano x Forte x Scandal? Well, even though it is hard to admit that it took me many times playing the song at 0.70x to realize it, that song is gorgeous, dag. You should be proud of yourself. 5/5

Power Rocket (justin_ator) [+.]

Good song, I had a lot of fun playing it! There were still a couple mistakes I had to point out:

• - 5.90s: The PR is wrong, it should go 33333312 instead it 33333321. It's a small mistake, but it's pretty obvious. idem for 7.77s.
    - 9.41s: Same idea, change this arrow to a -> and the next one to a ^. This will make the song go 2222243444442222.
    - 11.99s: Those 32nds were indeed tempting to step, but it's such a blatant difficulty spike that it does stand out in a bad way. I know what sound they were trying to put some emphasis on, but you should definitely replace that part with 16ths for the sake of climax theory. At least replace them with a roll instead of a weird stream! ;-P Those 32nds at 24.71s though are ok though and can stay there without a problem. The feeling of the song is different in that part, since it's pumping of for the jumpstream part.
    - 13.75s: What does that jump go to? It's unnecessary.
    - You have a couple missing notes in the dubstep-ish part which loses part of its groove. I'll point out some to help you get a picture and you'll figure out the rest of them, since I believe there are a couple: 57.34s, 58.28s, 60.15s, 64.84s, 65.78s, etc. Note: they're all 16ths!

Overall, I believe you made a song with tons of potential. After my first sightread, I thought I was going to give a +! It's the simple mistakes that made the grade go down a bit, but I'm sure you'll be able to iron them out and make this a perfectly enjoyable file. Good job Justin.

(Note: The song's volume seems below average. Is there a way you modify this into Audacity? The bass could be much more effective. I know this isn't your fault, so I didn't take account of this when grading your file)

Powerpuff Gabberz (HammyMcSquirrel) [+.]

Wow! Nice song, I wasn't expecting it at all! Several things I wanted to point out:

• - 78.98s:and 79.11s should not be jumps
    - 101.38s: missing a 32nds note
    - Missing jumps at 156.28s, 158.95, 161.61s to complete the melody
    - The song runs 3:00 minutes long. I know this is DJ Sharpnel and that this isn't your fault, but the jumpstreams do get a bit boring after a while. ;-P
    - 169.94s: My eyes went (<3)___(<3). Leave that part as is, it's perfect.

Summary: The song is pretty fun, but kinda long with a few minor mistakes. 4/5!

Press Start (YOSHl) [?]

I feel like an asshole for light rejecting this file. It's long, dense, and I know you put hella efforts into making this (or, at least, it seems like that's the case). However, it... is not fun. The overall over-saturation in jacks and the brutal rolls going to the 8-bit Mario sounds (see 34.44s) are what killed this file. The rest of it is alright: you got the PR and sync down and you don't have any missing note. However, that song didn't ask for those jacks nor for those crazy rolls (see 33.51s, 19.67s, 21.28s, 50.59s, 65.82s, etc.) I'm afraid I don't have a choice but to give this a 2/5: "The file has potential, but needs significant reworking in order to be good enough for FFR."

R!OT (Raskanally) [?]

So much potential. That's all I can say. Before I talk about mistakes, I want to let you know that I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next. You have a very unique style.

Now, shall we?

• - I see the 2 seconds of silence were a pain for you. What you did was alright: erasing every note that comes up before the 2 seconds mark was a way to do it that worked. However, the fact that the song starts on a random note doesn't help. I strongly suggest you take this song to Audacity, generate a 2 seconds silence and simply modify the offset accordingly in either DDReamstudio or SM editor, whatever program you're using, by making the offset -2.43s instead of -0.43s.
  • - The song is 3 minutes long. That's too much for this type of song which repeats itself over 2 parts. I suggest you cut it at 108.00s. (I know it's hard to hear such things since you worked hard to make the whole second part good, but trust me: is your song was shorter, the replay value would be much, much higher.)
  • - Your offset should be around -0.446 (NOTE: if you add silence to your song, it's going to be -2.446s) instead of -0.428.
  • - The jump usage in the beginning seems confused. The problem lies at 8.57s. You have to add a jump here in order to be consistent with the other jumps. You must leave the jump at 8.79s in the chart since it gives an accent to a different sound which you started stepping afterwards. Also add a jump at 7.07s in order to be consistent with the way you stepped the rest of the song with that sound. Consistency, my friend! ;P
  • - Starting at 17.36s, I see what you tried to do, but that's a bit messy. I suggest you restart that part (from 17.36s to 25.71s) and replace it with yellow notes (16ths). It is hard to explain why it works, but that's basically how the sound is made in the song. Try it out and you'll see, it's a lot better! Oh and, by the way, the trills (121 and 434) you implemented were pretty unasked for. You definitely have to remove them, even if you don't use the suggestion I just made.
  • - Replace the jumps at 25.73s and 25.59s by simple arrows. That will make the climax (jumps starting at 26.59s) even more pronounced, which is a good thing!
  • - 34.36s: I bet you wondering what kind of notes was going to that sound, since the 24ths you used were pretty out of place. Well, I'll tell you: use simple 16ths, starting at 34.39s. That's it!
  • - 36.32s, 36.75s, 50.04s, 50.46s, 53.37s 53.89s, 54.44, 73.07s, 73.50s: missing note
  • - Remove: 53.44s, 54.55s
  • - Jacks are passable since the song often asks for them, but be careful: the ones like you made at 60.01s, 72.01s and 61.30s are to be avoided. I also strongly suggest you replace the jacks which all look like the one at 63.44s by something in the likes of what you did at 65.16s. It would flow much better.
  • - Starting at 78.86s to 80.57s, it looks like you forgot you were stepping the synths and just started stepping beats. The incoherency here has to be fixed up.
  • - I suggest you replace the jumps at 89.14s by simple arrows since the song's volume is diminishing in that part. They can still be jacks, but they're not loud enough to warrant jumps.
  • - etc. The song is three minutes long and the mistakes I listed up there repeat themselves during the second half, so, while I won't cover them all up (it'd be pretty painful to do so), I'll just tell you that they're all similar to those I mentioned above and suggest you to hunt them yourself. That'll be a good practice

summary: Cool song, but there are lots of mistakes you should look upon in order to make this file better. Correcting these could warrant a + from me, that's almost certain. The song has tons of potential. As of now, though, there is a lot of work to do.

Rainbow Road (hi19hi19) [+]

File's great. Not much I can say. There are a few missing notes here and there I suggest you to look upon (7.88s, 26.97s, 28.10s, 47.37s, 47.57s, 47.78s and 56.91s), but they didn't have a huge impact on the file. Nice hand and jump mastery.

Reality Hits You Hard Bro (DossarLX ODI) [+]

lol Cut the part you're not using in the song (starting at 90.27s). I fully enjoyed this song. No real comment to put here.

Rocket flight (ninjaKIWI) [+]

This commentary won't be long. The song was fast paced and contained little to no errors. Good stuff.

• - Offset should be -2.108s instead of -2.062s and the BPM seems to drag off a bit.
  • - Substitute 23.32s jump with 23.40s arrow. That's the only mistake I could find lol.

Sore ha Yoku Aru Kyoshoku no Genshu (Condoct) [+?]

The song has only one mistake, and that's a missing note at 158.72s. I should also point out that the jacks like the one at 12.96s seem faulty (Indeed, the drum does a sound referring to a jack, but I wouldn't make it a triplet, only a minijack and a hand not containing the jack's arrow shortly after.)

What killed the file was its repetitiveness. It is four minutes long and it keeps on repeating over and over. I suggest to cut it around 94.11s and try to alter the patterns a bit more before that. The replay value is pretty limited if you leave it as is. Otherwise, I enjoyed the song!

Starry sky (_.Spitfire._) [+]

So your computer died. And we can't conclude if we really have permission. I sure hope we do. This looks like it's coming straight from a DDR machine. I love it!

PS: cut the part after 115.31s if you're not stepping it, otherwise it'll go straight to the conditional queue.

Stately, Wrong (who_cares973) [+.]

Other than suggesting to cut the song at 123.15s since it gets slightly repetitive after a while considering it was almost 3 minutes long and urging you to remove that pointless placeholder note at the end, there's not much I can comment on. Bravo. (Nice bpm gimmicks!)

Stay Crunchy (who_cares973) [+]

What the hell, man, you're making it look so easy. That song was flat out perfect. Even better than your previous one. 5/5.

Sunless Daybreak (psychoangel691) [+.]

"Fun, that was!", said I. I'd gladly give this file a + if it weren't for the jump placement which is very questionable in this file.

• - Compare these: 2.89s and 4.22s. These arrows represent the same exact sound, yet one is a simple arrow and the other one is a jump. Why is that? I tried listening again and again to the song to find out an explanation, but I couldn't. What seems even weirder is that there still seems to be some sort of logic when you repeat that mistake. Am I missing something here!? From 2.05s to 35.06s, the same thing happens over and over. Strangely, that mistakes disappears after the 35s mark! What happened here? I suggest you take a look at this and reconsider every jump/absence of jump in that region.
  • - Oh, by the way, missing a jump at 40.72s. I was wrong, it also happens a few times after the 35s mark.
  • - Starting at 55.39s, it's a "where's-the-jump" festival. These are some of the spots I identified where a jump should go to match the chords of the melody: 58.50s, 59.39s, 60.72s, 62.05s, 63.39s, 64.72s, 66.05s, 68.72s, 70.05s, 71.39s, 74.05s, 75.39s, 77.22s, 78.55s, 78.89s, 79.89s, 81.22s, 81.55s, 82.55s, etc, etc (stop at 98.05s). And don't forget 104.72s. I know this seems terrible of me to identify so many places in the chart, but the song is just begging for those jumps. They really need to be there!
  • - On the other hand, what do the jumps at 88.72s and 94.05s go to? Did you suddenly start putting jumps to the melody instead of the beats...?
  • - Careful, PR is wrong at 73.39s
  • - Missing note at 95.89s and I believe you're missing 16ths starting at 96.72s

Overall, I had a great time playing the file, but the jump placement was pretty flawed. I did try to find out if there was a sound making what you stepped correct, but I couldn't find any, even with my hi-tech Bose earphones. Don't fret, though. It was good enough to warrant a 4/5.

Tasteless (JSH) [+]

Well, that was fun! Accurate, simple, made me feel good... awesome job! Was this your first file?? Keep on stepping, my friend! :3

• - Replace the arrow at 14.99s by one at 14.91s
  • - Missing note at 52.74s? Just a suggestion. Strangely, the absence of a note at 58.07s doesn't disturb me, so take this with a grain of salt.
  • - You used (13)(24)(13)(24) a lot. How about replacing one or two for some (12)(34)(12)(34)? Just a minor suggestion.

The Earth Blew Up (bob bob) [++]

My favorite of this batch.

THE LITTLE MERMAID (hi19hi19) [+.]

I am torn apart by this song. Making this judgement is pretty hard. I find it both stupid (--) and incredibly funny (+) ("Sooooo remember kids; always fasten your seatbelt"). At first, I wanted to give a (?) for the steps being ridiculous and the song being too short. Then I played it again. And again. And again. And grown to love it. I can't give you a + for the reasons I'll enumerate below, but I did believe enough in it to give you a +.

• - The growls like the one at 6.02s look nice when played on autoplay, but have no purpose in the chart but to be a pain in the ass.
  • - The jacks at 15.17 are unasked for. There is no ghost note, but you should replace that part to remove the jacks.
  • - Wow, this song is like 45 seconds long. These mistakes represent perhaps 10% of the song. That's a lot! (note: 10% is approx.)

summary: Yeah, I went with my heart this time. I understand why you stepped this chart. There are still a few things I would've changed in order to make it less of a troll song.

The Others (Darkbreezee) [+?]

I had already reviewed this file twice in this thread before you sent it to this batch. I could simply copy/paste my reviews, but, meh, I'll make another one anyway. xD that's the only way to make a review be accurate. Note that this rating is a lot more strict then the previous ones I gave you which weren't worth anything.

• - The sync is still off with the file. The arrows come up too soon. When I press an arrow, it can only give me perfects, so you know there's something wrong. I tried modifying the offset, but it doesn't help much. I guess you'll have to manual adjust every beat in ddream if you want to make it perfect.
  • - CUT THIS SONG FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL xP. As of now, it's around 3:30 minutes long. The song is repetitive and so are your patterns. In order to make the song seem fresh and not copy/pasted throughout the whole chart, I suggest you cut at 126.51s. It will contain everything you need to make a great file, trust me.

There isn't much more to comment on. You did change around the parts I suggested you, but you left the file as repetitive and unsynchronised as it was, making the chart almost unplayable at times since a fraction of a second at that speed can make an enormous difference. What I suggest is that you cut the song and try to make the patterns vary as much as you can. Those jumpstreams seem to go on for eternity! It sucks I can't grade this file on based on the progress you made, since you did progress a LOT. I can't encourage you enough to keep on stepping for the community. You've got what it takes.

PS: For your next song, try stepping a different song artist. Most of the things I pointed out are hard to avoid in DJ Sharpnel's songs.

Treasure Planet (megamon88) [+]

Varied, polished, dense and immensely precise. I can't give anything less than a 5/5.

Try To Star (Rebirth0) [+.]

Old school Rebirth at his best. Welcome back. :')

• - Derp offset! I believe it should've been -2.367 instead of what it was.
  • - There is a missing note on 4.45s, 8.89s and such, or you need to remove the arrows at 6.53s, 8.75s and so on, otherwise you're not being coherent with the sounds you're stepping.
  • - At parts like 41.25s and 63.47s, what are the jumps going to??
  • - The song is pretty repetitive. I wouldn't say it's deeply flawed, but there's definitely something you could do to make it less seem like it was constantly copy/pasted. Either step part differently or cut the song.

So there were a couple things I believe could be changed for the better, but, for the most part, this song is very fun and even made me feel nostalgic. Ain't got much more to say.

VS PSYCHOSHY (megamon88) [+]

At first, I was like "Oh, nice! An easy, simple, 8-bit song"... And then the 20th second arrived and pwned me. It was gorgeous. Thanks for this song.

Warren (who_cares973) [+]

That was so mature and strikingly soft... Wow. Very very nice. Just watch out for that little PR slip at 78.31s. I appreciate the fact you avoided the temptation to insert jacks all over the beginning of the song.

AND WILL YOU PLEASE REMOVE THAT PLACEHOLDER NOTE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

We Will Fly (ichliebekase) [+]

This song expresses nothing new. It's not groundbreaking and even a bit repetitive. I'm not supposed to hand out good grades like this because that would make the rate of acceptance too high. Yet, I have to give this a [+]. I just have to. I couldn't have done a better job myself. Bravo

Wolf by Night, Human in Dreams (woker-x) [+]

Good song choice? Check (added it to my iPod)! Ingenious patterns? Check! Replay value? Checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck! This song is priceless, it is a gift to the community. Thank you, Woker. Loved those 12ths.

wow dis shore is a grate song (0) [PASS]

What the hell, a 30 seconds long song? I can't help but being too subjective about this. To me, this looks like a joke. If this is a serious submission, I'll let someone else decide the fate of the song since the best I could give for this is a (-).

Xanthystrauma (MarioNintendo) [#]

teehee. I made this.

You Got Served (00Razor00) [+.]

Good job with this file, Razor At first I thought I would give this a +, but I noticed there was something you should definitely work a bit on: the guitar solo starting at 114.04s, it totally looks like you put the notes at random and didn't take the time to slow down the song in DDReam to hear where the notes really were, especially at 120.05s. That's the only thing I suggest you to work on. The rest of it was pretty darn good!

TC_Halogen

All times are in seconds, as usual.

asterisk (bmah)
Rating: [+]

Nothing really incorrect with the file - one thing that strikes me as a minor problem is the fact that the song is fairly slow, which appeals to lower level players; however, the file is incredibly accent-heavy, with lots of triples present for all of the cymbal crashes in the song. I'd personally like to see the chart slightly watered down, but it's by no means necessary.

Captain Murasa's Ass Anchor (Gundam-Dude)

Nice to see some minor changes from the SM chart.

- 65.087: this could use a punch, along with any of the other cymbals that land on these respective areas of the following phrases

Consistent layering, accounts for just about everything without being incredibly over-bearing -- could use a few extra triples to add some flare to a few areas.

Disco Balls (bmah)
Rating: [+.]

- 46.005: jump-jack usage here is a bit rough - fits the sudden appearance in the song but split-handed jacks are a pretty decent spike in difficulty, regardless of how short
- 46.326: being that you're opting out of using triples for accents like this (with good reason), maybe you should mirror the last step?
- 47.826: fill in missing note for hi-hat?
- 48.469: any reason as to why the colors are being switched here? I understand the later usage of the BPM cutting to account for the synth becoming filtered out, but here doesn't seem right to me
- 53.398/53.826: these 1/2 BPM changes seem a bit off place to me too considering there is an active percussion line going on
- 65.880: 32nd? hard to hear what this goes to
- 66.362: missing 16th for the brass melody? seems intentionally omitted, though

The middle of this file seems a bit strange to me in structure. The chart seems a bit over-layered in some areas, too. Not worth taking off too much for it, though; definitely something I can see being enjoyed.

FAREAST HARDSTYLERZ (samurai7694)
Rating: [+?]
-> offset changed to -0.836; sub-beat BPM change added to 102.110s to make the next quarter note land on 102.325s

- 63.659 to 86.209: there is actually a filtered synth melody going on behind the main melody; it's very difficult to hear but it's discernible enough to chart, and this could be a way to vary up the chart a little bit more.
- 89.426 to 102.325: PR is a nice thing to have when it's noticeable - nice job keeping the synth PR'd through all of the layering

Layering is solid -- however, it's painfully draggy because it's literally the same repeating melody/charting style for well over a minute. Very tough song to pass because it's definitely lacking.

Obscene Amount of Steam (iironiic)
-> offset changed to -1.375

- 11.043: ghosted note for a not-quite-present echo
- 22.709: mini-jack is questionable here, although it seems like a by-product of pitch relevance
- 27.876: ^
- 30.876: ^
- 31.543: ^
- 33.376: ^
- 41.543: ^
- 42.209: ^
- 43.876: ^
(etc. - check to make sure that you keep your mini-jacks out of the way for other things, that way it doesn't seem like you're trying to follow a non-existant repeating sound of any sorts - not a huge deal)

- 65.376 to 86.709: what you're accenting as jumps/triples/etc. isn't very clear -- certain jump patterns seem to be for breaks, some seem to be for the background chime, some are omitted and others are in questionable spots:

- 65.376 and 65.709: these triples come off as slightly erroneous, simply because there are no other triples in this particular phrase of the song, and these two triples aren't really merited by anything
- 68.376: are these intentionally watered down? (these should be 32nds.)
- 81.043: this is fine, but why isn't this also at 67.709?
- 82.376: you have a snare here that's clear as day not accented, and it definitely sticks out
- 105.543: check the rhythm on the first part of this roll - I omitted the 64th and added a 48th (105.654) and an 8th (105.709) to make the first part correct
- 108.843/113.376: absolutely love the subtle echo accented by white notes, fits very nicely in my opinion
- 140.041: same situation as earlier -- they are more proper here, but still a bit awkwardly placed simply because there aren't any other triples here.
- 154.631: slightly abrupt entry into the next pattern because of the forced minijack

This chart has some minor structure issues in a few areas. It doesn't play badly at all, but there are some areas that are a bit too jumpy. Despite all of the mentioned notes, I still feel like this is queue-worthy. It just needs a few tweaks.

Ochitsukeruwakeniwayo! [Heavy] (jimerax)

- 5.711/6.026/6.342(etc): why add jumps here when only the pitch of the melody is changing?
- 10.763/(etc): ^
- 12.026: this section isn't incorrect, but jump usage is awkward when the bass/melody collide
- 14.237: missing a jump here
- 19.921/20.553/20.869(etc): jumps to capture something that's way in the background here?
- 26.869: missing 16th notes?
- 37.290-47.079: the synth that makes the huge 16th run is not the most audible thing at normal speed, let alone any other rate. Maybe it should be omitted in some areas (particular the areas not involved with the somewhat more audible ascending melody).
- 51.184: see 5.711 (etc)
- 59.079: see 10.763 (etc)
- 61.290: see 12.026
- 81.500: see 37.290

Something about this file doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure if it's the generic run usage or the slight inconsistencies in accenting. Almost seems like a rushed file.

Piano x Forte x Scandal (dag12)
-> offset changed to -2.350

- 2.683: don't quite agree with a jump here, although I'll level with you because I do hear a separated sound (sounds like the beginning of the bass melody)
- 4.016: missing hi-hat
- 6.238: shift this arrow over, that way, it'll give your charting a bit more relevance towards the hi-hat intro
- 7.350: same issue as 6.238; not quite as big of a deal since other instruments are filling in here
- 8.794: there are some hi-hats here that you could add as 24th notes, if you wanted to fill in a bit more (obviously not required)
- 9.461 to 23.683: this layering setup is pretty intricate; delves into accenting the harder hit piano notes while mixing in an occasional direct layering between the higher pitched melody and the piano chords; it works fairly well though.
- 15.238: -technically-, this should be part of the jack too, or layered, but we don't like that, now do we - good choice to follow another instrument for that single note.
- 22.905: maybe add some jumps here since there's two notes an octave apart in this particular instance? obviously not required
- 23.683 to 37.905: another intricate setup -- looks like hi-hat + piano/vocals? Took me a minute to figure out that you weren't following the bass, haha. Tricky scheme to figure out, but it definitely flows well.
- 29.905: vocals are the most prevalent instrument here, so 30.350 is a bit off to me accent-wise.
- 34.905: that pattern is pretty rough for an area that is otherwise smooth.
- 37.127: jumps? seem a bit out of place here.
- 98.904-101.015: drum rhythms aren't being followed properly, slow the song down a bit to hear it
- 124.348: you're actually missing two more 32nds before this, haha
- 152.866: missing jump for the piano here
- 161.459: should be 24ths
- 161.904: should also be 24ths
- 169.015: change the jump so that it doesn't have a right arrow on it, that way, it makes flow a bit smoother and corrects pitch relevance as well
- 207.459: missed a grace note for the piano - shift that 32nd down a bit so that it's closer to the 8th

Some missing steps here or there, and a few minor layering/PR discrepancies. Otherwise, this is a good chart. Some areas could use some stronger accents -- there are a few cymbals that could use a bit more of a punch.

Power Rocket (justin_ator)
-> offset changed to -0.724

- 11.974: sound isn't distinct at normal rate with this rhythm, it might be better off to use 16ths here so that players don't get smacked in the face by something that fast right off the bat when they really don't need to
- 12.677: if you do decide to keep that 32nd burst, the tail of it should be 24ths -- starting at the last 8th note of the burst.
- 26.974 to 55.099: it's just...a 16th run. Not much relevance with anything, really. There could be some sort of repeating pattern that chances when the melody changes slightly, while still maintaining layering.
- 56.974 to 86.974: there are sections of the bass that you miss (like at the beginning of the section, 57.443 - there could be a 16th before and after the DR jump too, just to add a bit more volume). There's instances of this throughout the entire chart.
- 61.661: by making all of these jumps, you're essentially ignoring what you accented beforehand, which was the bass drum/snare drum every 4th note. You might want to remove jumps from all of the 12ths.
- 69.161: ^
- 70.802: mini-jack isn't needed here
- 71.329: missing 32nd
- 76.661: see 61.661
- 84.161: ^
- 85.802: see 70.802
- 86.974: try PRing the repeating synth on one arrow - you've almost done this already, just move the 16th up arrow over to the right arrow, while moving the right arrow on the 4th to a different arrow to not force a mini-jack -- keep this up while using the other three arrows for things you need, might help make this part a bit more interesting

Needs more variety. Pretty linear chart, even though the music does change frequently.

Powerpuff Gabberz (HammyMcSquirrel)
-> offset changed to -16.091, start BPM changed to 180.147, BPM change added at 80.039 seconds to make U/R jump land at 81.351s, BPM changed at U/R jump to 180.159

- 16 seconds is a pretty big wait, no?
- surprisingly, despite the strange setup in this chart, there is a comprehendable structure.
- 80.765: there should be a 16th note here
- 81.348 to 92.005: be sure to follow the snare all the way through the entire section -- you occasionally omit it
- 92.005 to 102.662: on top the above note, try to keep relevance somehow through obvious pattern choice. An option would be to make the snare a very simple pattern like a trill, but change the trill to something different when the 5-note synth melody repeats (something like 12341, 43214 for the melody, and then 2323 for the snare, so the entire pattern could be 12341234321423132412314231 etc.
- 121.978: you can actually add some variation here if you use the "you're bubbles" lyric to your advantage -- you could make the entire section an 8th run while layering in the lyrics, and you can even add this into the area where you've expanded your structure to include the drums as well. It'll fill the chart a bit better and add some more difficulty for the middle stretch of the song.
- 142.960 to 153.950: if you understand pitch relevancy, you can PR the 8th notes of the melody while including the 16th notes that the snare holds without adding any layering -- it'll keep the section light since you won't be adding any jumps.
- 153.950: why did you do a full 16th run here? The jumps are fine to accent the melody, but keep up with the percussion as well.
- 172.767: keep your layering clean by removing the down arrow in this jump, that way it's clear that the previous three down arrows were for the bass drum. Do this for the entire section.
- 180.593 to 202.240: ^

Not too bad. It's a bit long, but it's not horribly draggy for the length. Some pattern fixes should be considered, but sync fixes are a must.

Press Start (YOSHl)

- rather than using a bunch of BPMs and an offset of 0, use an offset to line up the first note you want. Things sync up fine here and the BPMs are in an area with no notes, so obviously I'm not going to penalize you for that, but always something to think about.

- 4.899: I do hear two notes in this, but should you be opening that way? It's technically correct, but it doesn't leave you much room to accent things properly when the bass drum comes in. You could make the melody pitch relevant since it's a set of chords that descend, rather than making it a ton of jumps.
- 7.322: missing note? You capture the echo at 6.976, so why not here? If you aren't accenting the echo at all, then you're missing the bass note that lies here, rather than the note for the melody.
- 8.130: three note mini-jack is slightly erroneous, but is definitely a by-product of correct pitch relevancy, so it's not horribly incorrect
- 13.091: since it seems like your chart is making a very strong attempt at PR, I'll catch you here and tell you that this note should either be a L or R arrow (layering on the jump gives you some leeway for the melody), but a R arrow makes a mini-jack for the following pattern (nice accuracy on the sound effect by the way!), so a L arrow is more viable.
- 19.668: check rhythm - it's not straight 32nds
- 22.437: good move not layering what you did two beats ago, that would have been a huge mess of jumps - I also like that you add pitch relevancy where you intentionally left out layering; trades are always great!
- 24.284: however, you're letting accidental mini-jacks slip in where there's no repeats in neither the bass nor the melody
- 24.745: ^
- 26.937: ^
- 27.745: (etc)
- 28.899-36.284: the introduction to this new chart structure is fine, but because of how much you have going on, it's obviously going to be impossible to capture every little thing at once. An option to this would be to syncopate the rhythm of the added layering to hit the most accented notes only. You somewhat do this, but not perfectly. An ideal accent would catch 29.707, 30.976, etc. Unfortunately, this adds way too much. Another option would be to lose the straight run and layer something different for the section before this. This area isn't horribly wrong, but it's something that I'd like to point out.
- 33.514: whoa, that's completely out of nowhere. Finish this phrase with the same accents; a sudden increase of jumps like that comes across as an inconsistency.
- 43.207: watch your transitions.
- 74.130 to 87.976: see 24.284
- 87.976: see 4.899 - remember, everything has died down other than this single instrument
- 91.899: mini-jack is in the wrong place
- 120.976: another 3-note mini-jack, also seems like the by-product of PR
- 125.361: ^
- 126.284: lots of forced mini-jacks, all by-products of layering
- 127.207: ^
- 128.361: see 120.976, etc.

The chart has a lot of accuracy in it, but the problem is that it tries very hard to fit everything possible in four arrows, without giving priority to certain instruments and less priority to others. Direct layering with this many things going on will not work very well, unfortunately. While the song isn't all that long, it plays out a lot longer than it seems.

R!OT (Raskanally)
Rating: [-]
-> offset changed to -0.466

- 10.609: this note should be moved down to a yellow note (time: 10.644)
- 14.037: you caught the separated note at 10.609, but not here.
- 17.394: risky idea - not sure it paid off for you here. Pitch bending is tricky to accommodate -- typically, you want to catch the starting note and the finishing note of the bend - in this case, it would make straight 8th notes.
- 25.751: jumps here? You didn't use jumps for the soft chime earlier, so it's a bit of an inconsistency.
- 27.466 to 54.895: your best bet would be to ignore the chime for this section, and give attention to the newly entering dubstep section. Getting rid of the chimes gives you breaks every once in a while that allow you to accent breaks in the percussion.
- 34.323 to 35.180: should be 16ths
- 35.180: be consistent - you used jacks the first time, and now you're spreading out for something that is the same sound
- 36.359: there's a 16th that can be added here, as well as 36.787,
- 41.180: notice how the bass repeats the same 3-note pattern twice? Make your chart reflect that by repeating a three note pattern of your own! This is a basic concept of pitch relevancy -- learning this will improve your charts.
- 42.037: then, you can go back to jacks over here -- same thing repeating over and over again can be perfect places to use jacks, just as long as they're a reasonable speed.
- 48.037: this is a great section to illustrate the necessity of accents. The sound that plays here is the loudest sound in this particular measure, and it happens later down. You would want to make that particular sound a jump (or, in a different case of an aggressive chart - don't do this here, a triple).
- 50.073: missing 16th, as well as 50.502
- 54.145: not the best usage of triples -- it's just a low voice, and it doesn't give off a huge punch in the song. Also, the note at 54.573 (L/U/R hand) is misplaced, it should happen a bit earlier.
- 55.323: great usage of jacks here, however, the L/R jump that happens at 55.537 is unnecessary, so you'd be better off getting rid of the right arrow and just leaving it as a straight left handed jack.
- 56.609: you even separate the jacks for two sets of two notes a piece when the melody changes, which is great. However, the L/D and D/U jumps are unnecessary, so get rid of the down arrow. The U/R jump is fine, because it lands on a bass drum.
- 57.466: an instance where straight jacks is acceptable, but again, lose the jump that lies on the 8th note
- 58.323: careful here - all of the notes are different; no jacks here
- 60.037: when you have no percussion (that is, no bass drum/snare), keep everything single steps. The pitch does change again, similar to the way that 56.609 (where it's two notes for the first two 16ths, then two notes for the next two 16ths).
- 61.323: another instance of straight jacks -- sound repeats itself five times. It's all about paying attention to the particular note.
- 63.466: Keep the first jump here, lose the jump on the 8th note, and keep the jump at the end of the jacks. Pitch relevancy would also have the jack separated into two sets of two notes a piece, like 56.503
- 65.395: lose the jump. Remember, you want to give accenting to the bass drum, and the snare drum.
- 68.180: same situation as 56.609.
- 70.109: missing note.
- 70.323: same situation as 56.609.
- 71.180: see 61.323 -- no bass/snare, or anything around it, so it could be straight jacks.
- 72.037: Keep the first jump, lose the other four. Just like 58.323, these notes are all different. Slow down the song in SM/DDream if you want to make sure that notes are in fact repeating.
- 73.752: similar to 60.037, but there is a jump on the first note of the five note sequence.
- 75.037: first four notes are a consistent jack, the fifth note is a bass drum, and the note is no longer repeated. This is a case where you'd want to do something like R/R/R/R/(jump that doesn't have a right arrow in it).
- 77.180: see 72.037.
- 77.930: missing 16th.
- 78.895: missing 16ths?
- 79.430: there's actually quite a few missing notes; why did you ignore them?
- 81.895: special situation here - no jumps for the first four notes, but the first note is different from the second, third, and fourth note. Something like D/U/U/U is great here. The fifth note is LOUD. Accent that note as if your life depended on it. That is a situation where you could put a triple, or a jump that forces the player to sudden change finger placement. If you do D/U/U/U, then the jump could be a L/R.
- 82.323: pay attention to your charting. Most of the 4th notes don't follow anything. Your 8th notes follow the chime like before, but try to make them single notes - they're relatively quiet.
- 89.180: try to figure out what you'd put here based off of the notes I've given you.
- 96.037 to 108.037: a few more notes get added in here, try to follow them. Jacks appear in this section - take a listen to them and figure out the placement.
- 110.609: misrhythm - should be 12th notes.
- 116.609: one final note about these bass melodies; if some of them are unreasonably long for jack usage, you can break them down into minijacks in sets of 2 or 4 when using 16th notes, or in sets of 3 or 6 when using 12th notes.
- 118.645: missing 16th.
- 119.073: missing 16th.
- 119.323: missing 8th - synth is pretty clear here so you definitely don't want to leave that behind.
- 120.895: where'd these triples come from? Song didn't change much, but your layering suddenly beefed up quite a bit. Why?
- 130.323: remember how I mentioned this earlier (48.037)? This would be a correct usage of it, that is, if the rest of your chart wasn't lacking in layering.
- 136.002: check rhythm here
- 136.430: see 54.145

Jacks continue out through this song, so I won't keep repeating myself for certain notes. Just follow previous notes and apply them to their respective situations.

- 141.466: missing 4th note.
- 143.180: see 116.609
- 146.920: missing 16th note.
- 148.537: a few missing notes here, slow down this particular section if you need to
- 155.180: missing 4th note.
- 159.252: missing 8th note.
- 160.645: missing 16th note.
- 162.359: missing 16th note.

There are correct rhythms used in this song for the most part, but the step rhetoric needs an overhaul. Song is also very long and could use a cut.

Rainbow Road (hi19hi19)

This song uses triples for chords, which is fine, but the problem with this is that you're lacking room to constantly do this with four keys. It also seems like PR was important, so I'll try to point out everything that I can find.

- 3.004: while I don't agree with this being a D/U for pitch relevancy, I understand that you did it because it's the same root note shifted up an octave
- 7.749: there's actually a note after this missing
- 10.607: check PR here, the note that corresponds to the left arrow does play again. Not a necessary fix because it does sound like the chord that holds the (DUR) hand before.
- 13.125: check PR, as this and 13.676 should be the same arrow
- 14.945: not the same note
- 32.425: another 8th mini-jack, although as a by-product of PR
- 32.956: ^
- 34.030: ^ - also, should the PR on this be inverted (D, L instead of L, D)?
- 37.065: another pattern that could possibly be reworked
- 38.645: (D/U/R) is used for a different chord, so this one should probably be changed too
- 49.345 to 50.404: all triples here, at least 3 discernible notes in each of these chords
- 53.873: missing note
- 55.320: also a missing note
- 56.916: missing note
- 66.417: change hand placement, as (D/U/R) is used by a different chord not too far from there
- 68.025: you could possibly change this chord, although only a single note changes here and it sounds like there's four notes here, so you can get away with it as is
- 78.841: check rhythm here
- 96.136: this nice little flourish actually starts a tiny bit earlier, and also has a few more notes - there's 6 different notes, from what I can hear.
- 102.228: same thing with this last flourish.

While I do have a lot of notes for you, it's hard for me to want to give you a rejection rating because you did make a very strong effort to give an accurate feel of the song. It's very difficult to hear all of the notes in this song properly because it is very powerful, and it has a ton of strong accents. There are a few areas where I feel like jumps could be triples, and triples could be jumps, but I ended up not listing them simply because it was a bit hard for me to tell them apart. Good work, though.

Reality Hits You Hard Bro (DossarLX ODI)
-> offset changed to -2.328

- 30.421: ghosted note
- 31.183: ghosted note
- 35.442: what the heck is up with the rhythm here?
- 49.234/49.488: ghosted note
- 51.522: ^, etc.

Not much wrong. A few extra notes but nothing horribly noticeable. Nothing special about the file either, though.

Rocket Flight (ninjaKIWI)
-> offset changed to -2.102

- 12.748: being that the chart suddenly pushes up to this difficulty, the beginning should be touched up a bit to add a little more difficulty -- perhaps you could add the drum samples too? You don't have to layer them on top of what you already have, but you can use it to fill space.
- 23.353: there's actually a 32nd that can be placed in here if you feel like sneaking in an extra little blip
- 24.060: looking ahead a bit, it seems like these jumps are a bit out of place since you're only following the speedy melody. Have you considered following the drum samples here to fill in more of the chart?
- 34.041: the higher 8-bit lead has only a 3-note melody, which gives you the chance to give the bass a column of its own, try fixing up 35.040 by making sure the pitch relevance on these three notes is correct.
- 43.024: same situation here -- you use up the down arrow for the higher lead when you can avoid that altogether by using the three columns that are not used by the bass.
- 45.353: new instrument gives you the opportunity to fill in a bit more, why not do it?

Not too bad, but with how short the song is, you need to provide variety. The problem with this song is that it has a pretty considerable difficulty spike right at the beginning, and then the rest of the file plays as a relatively speedy but easy file. Nothing wrong with breaking a linear pattern, but that's a bit too much of a spike to handle.

Sore ha Yoku Aru Kyoshoku no Genshou (condoct)

- 5.642: missing note
- 7.359 to 16.034: a 16th run is fairly generic here, especially because there is a bass drum/snare that can be heard with relative ease
- 12.961: acceptable, but for the sake of flow, the triple shouldn't be anchored to the jacks
- 18.925: I see an attempt at pitch relevance, but it isn't quite correct here, because the melody doesn't have any repeating notes. However, your scheme is consistent, so it's not completely unacceptable.
- 30.492 to 40.612: this section is slightly empty; perhaps you could layer in the vocals to fill it in a bit more?
- 42.058 to 52.901: listen to the bass drum and fill in the repeating 8th note bass drums on the same arrow, it'll give this area a nice structure. You can continue to accent the vocals as jumps if you'd like, as it is the prevalent instrument of this section.
- 43.142: missing note here
- 46.034: ^
- 48.925: ^
- 53.624 to 76.034: see 7.359 (etc.)
- 59.227: see 12.961
- 69.528: if vocals are all jumps throughout the song, why are these single steps?
- 82.540: normally, I would hit you for this being a huge 16th run as well. However, the string section intensifies quite a bit and has a different ending, so this section can serve as one of the climaxes in your chart.
- 99.528: missing note
- 104.227: a ton of missing notes here, and this builds into another section, so you should definitely fill this out
- 105.673 to 117.239: accenting the guitar as jumps for the section before this was alright, but now it's not as easily heard because of the entry for a new instrument - using jumps for it is counter-intuitive. Use the jumps for something else.
- 117.239 to 128.444: see 42.058 to 52.901.
- 118.323: missing note
- 121.215: missing note
- 124.107: missing note
- 125.552: missing notes
- 128.805 to 151.938: see 7.359
- 134.408: see 12.961
- 144.709: see 69.528
- 145.974: see 12.961
- 151.486: missing note
- 151.848: missing note
- 153.203: there's actually some 32nds here if you want to justify some more difficulty
- 153.926: here too.
- 156.095: and here too.
- 159.167: for the trilling section, the rhythms are incorrect in most instances - the rhythm is much finer than what you have. Approximating it is fine, but 24ths seem like an incorrect approximation, as do 16ths. You might have to use a bit tighter of an approximation.
- 175.071: this was kinda cool, haha
- 179.408: that string portamento goes on a bit longer than four 24th notes...
- 192.420 to 215.553: see 42.058 to 52.901
- 203.264: scenarios like this are really neat -- you have a swooshing sound that is in a main section of the song, which is an obvious build up to another section. There's nothing on the quarter note - remove that jump. That lack of a step on the quarter note serves as an accent because there's empty space.
- 209.589: see 12.961
- 221.336: a run here is probably acceptable as well, since it's the end of the song.
- 226.939: see 12.961

The problem with this chart is that it doesn't seem to offer too much variety in the near four minutes that it spans. The chart structure itself isn't bad, but it doesn't offer a lot of variation in some of the more intense and interesting sections (as denoted by repeated judgment notes). Missing notes are found throughout the chart, but they are consistently find, so it doesn't come across as incorrect, but moreso as something to think about in an effort to fill in the chart properly. This song could use a cut.

Starry Sky [TANUKI BOOTLEG] (._Spitfire_.)
-> offset changed to -0.114

- 0.114 to 5.600: while the introduction of this song is a fade, it's no excuse to cut the BPM for this tiny little section because the bass drum is still around. As a result of the half BPM being present while the percussion is still somewhat intense, the first 5 seconds of this chart look like YNS.
- 27.543 to 48.114: This section is really confusing -- there's no dominant instrument on every quarter note of this song, yet there's jumps on every quarter note in this entire section. On top of that, parts of this section look incredibly over-cluttered because layering precedence is seemingly given to something else. I'm not sure what it is though -- looking at 29.086, it seems like the synth that plays on the upbeat is given pitch relevance while whatever is being accented through the quarter notes is combining with that - but looking at 31.829/34.571/37.314, the pitch relevance on the synth would be incorrect, so I can't find any viable reason as to why the chart is structured this way.
- 59.769: why is this jump here? I understand the next one following it.
- 60.712: missing note for melody?
- 94.997/95.512/97.740/(etc): this is just one large synth melody; these jumps aren't accenting anything new, they're just accenting a running melody
- 104.683 to 115.312: hmm, this file had been fairly smooth up until the ending; do you want to suddenly interrupt that flow with these mini-jacks? You might have been better off using repeating 16th triplets, like 232 323 232, etc.

This file isn't too bad, but that 21 second introduction is completely confusing the crap out me. I'm willing to remove that section as an error and up the rating to a [+.] if there's a legitimate explanation to the structure of that section.

Stately, Wrong (who_cares973)
Rating: [++]

Gotta say, this file is pretty damn polished. Everything melds together really well, and the file progresses really nicely. That ending is so amazing and so menacing at the same time.

Stay Crunchy (who_cares973)
[/Rating: [+.]

- 37.987 to 41.201: gold. Love it.
- 42.058: misrhythm
- 51.379: missing note, along with 51.594 - this is a running melody
- 100.558: misrhythm
- 104.737: there's actually 12th notes in the melody here (104.772, 104.915)

Some slight mistakes in rhythm. Otherwise, this chart is alright.

Sunless Daybreak (psychoangel691)

- 2.053 to 23.386: bass drum omitted for every measure on the first beat? It happens at the same place everytime. gets filled in later so I'm assuming it's some sort of progression.
- 12.553: there should be another jump here; the bass drum + synth collide here.
- 36.553: missing note here - it really doesn't seem off because the hi-hat is being overshadowed by the entry of the piano, which ends on the quarter note before this.
- 39.220: ^
- 41.886: ^
- 47.220: ^
- 49.886: ^ (etc - this happens on the last 8th note of every measure in this section)
- 76.720: I would have liked to see the bass drum landing on the same arrow as the one it starts on (ex: 77.220 should be a D like 76.720 is, or 81.220/81.553 should be a R like 80.720 is, etc. - this would involve some pattern changes, of course)
- 100.553: see 36.553
- 103.220: ^ (etc - same scenario)

Minor mistakes dispersed throughout the chart, but they're consistently in the same areas. Chart plays well and is decent step up from the previously sent chart.

Tasteless (JSH)
-> offset changed to -0.101

- structure throughout the chart is mixed between the vocals + snare/subtle melody and anything else that happens to come at any given point, which makes certain areas a bit more jump-heavy than other areas that sound the same.
- the second section of the file is directly layered between snare and vocals, with a few discrepancies:
- the last third is essentially the same as the first third, with nearly the same inconsistencies as before, with the exception of the addition of a guitar solo.

- 57.073/57.406: missing jumps for snare + vocals
- 62.740: ^
- 67.740/68.073: ^
- 73.406: ^
- 78.740: ^
- 103.406: missing note?
- 108.740: ^
- 113.406: see 57.073
- 124.073: ^

The earth blew up (bob bob)
Rating: [PASS]
-> offset changed to -0.232

Nothing but noise to me. Can't judge this without bias towards song choice getting in the way.

THE LITTLE MERMAID (hi19hi19)
Rating: [PASS]
-> offset changed to -0.136

oh god, seriously kill me now

The Others (Darkbreezee)
Rating: [?]
-> offset changed to -2.354

- 7.092: there should be more jumps here, but I understand that you took them away for the sake of making the upcoming 32nd burst a bit more manageable
- 23.269 to 42.876: for this entire section, there are some incorrectly placed jumps that try to follow the that really subtle high-pitched vocal -- make sure you catch all of them and remove any jumps that don't land where those sounds are.
- 44.184 to 62.484: this layering is technically correct (melody takes the first and second 16th notes, bass drum takes the third, melody takes 4, 5, and 6, and they both land on number 7), however, it also doesn't leave you room to give you some variation at 65.098 and on. Maybe you should try only following the melody? That way, when you get to the second repeat of the melody, you can intensify it a bit and add some variation at the same time.
- 70.327: if you listen really closely here, there's a very heavily filtered melody that carries a different rhythm from the the melody you're following - you might be able to use that to your advantage if you can chart it properly because it'll give your chart even more variation.
- 81.601: nice little mirror pattern thing you have going, it's pretty visually appealing
- 108.074: this repeating thing is pretty neat too.
- 129.155: this seems like it should be one of the most intense points of the song, because it takes all of the things you had before, but all you seem to follow is the vocals. This becomes even more glaring of an error when a 16th run suddenly comes in at 134.384.
- 139.613: step in the right direction - you've added another instrument, however, a near 30 second run with almost no interruption is not the right way to go about stepping this, especially when the song is fairly repetitive.
- 176.217: song isn't quite over yet; why are you dropping almost all of the layering?
- 181.446: you should apply this layering to 176.217; it's a decent step down from all of that streaming
- 191.903: straight jumps?
- 202.360: this seems a bit better and more accurate for a layering scheme
- 207.099: jump? could be forced because of layering

Song is very long -- throughout this length, there's quite a few poor decisions in chart structure/progression, and some of these poor choices last for quite a long time. The chart itself does follow rhythms properly, and does offer some decent step rhetoric every once in a while, but it could use a cut.

Treasure Planet (megamon88)
-> offset changed to -0.898

You need to learn to use a triple.

Serious note: chart is fine, a bit dense and jump heavy - there is some pitch relevance within some of the denser areas, not all of the time, though. Rhythms and layering play out very well too.

Try to Star (Rebirth0)
-> offset changed to -2.357 (MORE THAN TWO SECONDS OFF - gg Rebirth )

This file is very empty in some spots. Not a fan.

- chart is a bit emptier than it could be, but what's there is alright layering wise
- 5.966: slight error in PR, not major (unlike most sections that have at least three notes repeating to appropriately follow the guitar, these only have two)
- 14.854: ^
- 84.551: ...uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's a full second of blank space when there's clearly other instruments to be followed
- 130.092: this is a huge difficulty spike because of the somewhat lighter layering scheme you've followed

There's not too much wrong with this file, but it's really empty. There's also an area with absolutely no steps; I have no idea why.

VS PSYCHOSHY (megamon88)
-> offset changed to -0.022

Tricky file. Nothing erroneous about it at all. BPM is off by like the smallest of margins -- the end of the chart ends up ever so slightly early (only 2 ms).

Warren (who_cares973)
[Rating: [+.]
- 2.313 to 8.134: pitch relevance for this section could be slightly better
- 39.256 to 42.980: this section as well
- 50.167/50.111: the upper piano seems to be changing relevance for the same notes often; it's slightly distracting
- 52.449/53.506: ^

Those two sections seem slightly off simply because there's nothing else going on but a single-note melody. Once everything gets layered in, it works out alright. Quite a few forced repeated notes but they're all obviously results of pitch relevancy, and both pianos are fairly accurate.

We Will Fly (ichliebekase)

- 8.821: it's very clear what that goes to, but you only accent it here - it might be better for you to just ignore it
- 9.464: melody cutoff is really abrupt...
- 11.606: you started following pitch relevancy for a moment, but it doesn't work out well as it goes on - pay a bit more attention to the structure of the melody
- 15.035: PR here is ok, though.
- 20.178: try to make it clear which jumps are following the bass hit + synth melody layering and those that are following the really hard cymbal crashes (you see how you have two L/R jumps here for two different things?)
- 20.606: there should be some notes representing the synth melody alongside of the cymbal crashes (although, it seems intentionally omitted, no penalty here)
- 21.678: the note I gave you for the layering + cymbal crashes also holds true for the bass/synth melodies -- try to separate them for more relevance
- 30.892 to 44.178: being that you're not layering anything on top of anything else, it's better to just ignore the repeated quarter notes for the bass drum and add pitch relevance to the synth melody (I would say layer in kicks but that screws your chart progression); this area seems fairly dull at the moment
- 43.964: this jump seems really awkwardly placed
- 44.606 to 58.321: layering here is actually pretty strong, nice work
- 51.035: catch the 8th note bass drum by repeating the down arrow after the U/D jump (move the right arrow, don't layer over it) - it's a new structure in your percussion line
- 78.892: 1/2 BPM cut makes this area seem like it's YNS
- 85.749 to 99.464: the idea behind this structure is interesting - I like that you only PR the last note simply because it's the easiest one to accent. I also noticed that you reversed the PR in the second half.
- 92.499: no need for this jump to be here.
- 99.464: from here, the background percussion line dies down; adding jumps here is somewhat awkward - you might be able to add jumps before this, though
- 102.862: hit those cymbal crashes spread out from here to the end of this section -- they'll help boost this section a bit in variation
- 113.178 to 126.892: relevance in pitch seems like it's being attempted, but it's only being done partially - possibly in an effort to add variation? This area also seems somewhat empty, even for an outro.

Great song - chart has some interesting concepts, but doesn't deliver all the way through. The song has a great intensity that can be followed while still compromising difficulty, and while this file attempts to do that, it also brings some inconsistencies in progression and structure.

Wolf By Night, Human in Dreams (woker-X)
-> offset changed to -4.631

- structure is interesting; pseudo-layering to the guitar in the introduction is pretty nice
- 44.631: nice little pitch relevancy trick

Nothing wrong with this file at all -- song is pretty awesome, too. Looks like all of the changes suggested previously were made.

wow dis shore is a grate song (0)
-> offset changed to -0.029

Way too short, same thing for 30 seconds, ending has artificial difficulty by doubling the BPM. Structure seems accurate, but the song length and chart just aren't queue-worthy in my eyes.

Xanthystramua (MarioNintendo)

- 11.220/13.380: artificial rhythm for pitch-bend?
- 19.860/22.020: ^
- 27.420 to 44.675: with the heavy bass drum taking up a jump, the 8th note melody in the background certainly shouldn't get nearly as much attention - this section is very overlayered
- 46.680: doing that for a pitch bend is fine.
- 49.020: missed pitch bend here (you seem to be accenting them)
- 57.660: ^
- 62.021 to 75.521: this is a much better usage of jumps -- an aggressive structure fits here in comparison to your intro
- 75.521: a bit rough on the jacks; not impossible, but pretty abrupt change
- 76.061: with this also being nothing but bass drums, you could make this trill a large jumptrill
- 77.681: you made repeated bass drum notes jump-jacks before and you're opting out of it now -- which one is it?
- 104.276/104.681/112.916/113.321: the bass drum might not be going but the melody still is, so this blank space can be filled
- 158.141: split-handed jacking at around 11 taps a second is not cool, especially for a full measure
- 164.621: this jumptrill is pretty over the top too compared to the rest of the chart
- 175.398: see 158.141
- 181.878: see 164.621

While intended to be aggressive, this chart uses some unreasonably difficult patterns (24ths at 222 that aren't exactly jumptrillable? you're looking at 20+ taps a second there), and the worst part about them is that they're near the end of the song, which makes the chart even more frustrating for players to delve through. The structure is a bit off in the introduction, and there's a few errors dispersed throughout the rest of the song as well.

You Got Served (00Razor00)
Rating: [?]

-> the first 29 seconds of this song are off by exactly 1/16th of a note (you alleviate this later).

- 34.327: this part seems slightly incorrect simply because there's actually a bass drum that actually passes through the blank spots of your chart while you're accenting the vocals.
- 37.823: there's no drum here
- 38.538: there should be a 32nd for a drum here
- 44.613: missing a note here for vocals
- 46.972: no drum here
- 47.687: should be a drum here
- 53.762: missing a note here for vocals too?
- 56.049: 32nd roll here is completely ghosted
- 56.752: missing note for drums
- 60.827: missing note for drums
- 64.043: note missing for lyrics
- 80.042: see 34.327
- 83.544: see 37.823
- 84.259: see 38.538
- 90.334: missing note for lyrics
- 92.621: for this and any drum fills in this similar position - rhythm is (in 32nds): x-xxxxx-xxxxx-x
- 99.483: missing note for lyrics
- 102.902 to 111.897: layering is incomplete - occasionally a cymbal/snare is accented but there's a few more steps that should be jumps in this area
- 114.184: check rhythm on guitar here
- 118.901: ^
- 136.032: missing note for lyric (this continues to happen for the same word in the same section of the chorus)
- 138.319: incorrect rhythm (see 92.621)
- 145.181: see 136.032

While some of the structure does seem intentional (for example, cymbals cutting off certain areas to leave a gap for the purpose of accenting), there are misrhythms and inconsistencies throughout certain areas. Sync should be fixed in the introduction, as well.

Last edited by bmah; 11-7-2011 at 07:27 PM..