View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #48
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Default Re: Untitled Etterna Pack - Released!

Done with my reviews.

Favorites (in no particular order):
- Dance with 12 Gauge (favorite in the pack I think)
- Craft
- Don Pardo Pimpwagon
- Looney Tune
- Mundial Ronaldinho Soccer 64 Opening
- Runner AD2025
- Serah's Theme (Piano ver.)
- Yin
- Your Royal Highness
- Surprise (wait nvm this is the best one)

Final overall thoughts:

As far as I can remember (though I am also a boomer that took a hiatus from the community for a few years), this is the first "technical" (ugh don't like that term) pack in which most of the charts are this high of a difficulty. It hasn't really impacted the overall quality of the charts, but did dramatically shift their style (or perhaps this is unrelated?).

I think the last major pack I played was FFRCP4, and compared to those days, I feel like significant progress has been made. The community has become much more sophisticated in their handling of certain things:
- Motif and theme usage
- Technicality related things such as sync and difficulty assessment (although transcription accuracy has not necessarily improved too much)
- More calculated risks (minihold and mine usage, even when heavy, is far more controlled and with clear intention)
- Variety (in song choice and difficulty)

A couple of these things I think are simply the natural course of evolution, while others are a sign of active members of the community holding a high standard as their styles matured.

There are still some prevalent issues across almost all of the charts, things that the community as a whole should pay more attention to in improving:
- Groove (flow in a more general sense)
- Applied dissonance (identifying dissonance within music, and deliberately applying dissonant patterns to complement them)
- Polyrhythm flow
- Using non-standard layering schemes (such as adding notes in relation to articulation or dynamics rather than literal instrument transcription, or incorporating more position-based techniques, or a combination of these techniques, etc.)

Solid pack, gave me a lot of inspiration. Good job, everyone!

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 12-31-2020 at 11:36 AM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote