View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Nov/Dec 2019 Set 2

Updated my file based on VisD's notes and some stuff I noticed since I submitted. As for James May's notes, they either refer to intentional omissions or are incorrect (I believe he got mixed up with the heavy reverb on the piano).

Quote:
26.640-26.765 vs. 30.640-30.765: not really sure why these are different - the first set seems to fit the layering scheme better
My mistake, not sure what I was doing but I probably thought there was an extra guitar strum in the second iteration.

Quote:
37.765-39.915: I appreciate the effort for nice PR here but in contrast to the beginning, this feels like too much at the cost of some playability. This section is so right-hand dominant, lots of hidden rh minitrills that require way more control than anything else
I actually spent quite a bit of time balancing this section and I'm pretty sure it's comparable if not easier than the following jumpjack section and the ending trills. Only exception would be for MA, but this is for FFR anyway.

Quote:
59.515: Maybe a minijack on the 1 - like you do with 63.765?
Hard to justify anything in this section as it goes more by feel than what is objectively happening. In any case this thing you mentioned is just from a slight difference in context.

Quote:
72.765: In this section the jumps are a bit confusing to me. If these jumps are now going to the percussion as additive layering, then something like 73.390 75.015 77.390 etc (piano + percussion). should probably also be jumps instead of 73.265 77.265 etc
There are two independent piano phrases in this part and the jumps go the one outlining a melody similar to the strings at 80.265 and the bell at 88.265.

Quote:
78.515-79.015:Hmm. If these are purely for the low synth the 8th is a ghost and the 16th after should be on the 2 column imo. If you’re also stepping the percussion then 78.765 wants something too
Changed this part to only follow the low synth + piano. Also changed the pattern a bit to include minijacks to the low synth.

Quote:
86.265, 69.765, 91.765 etc.: don't see why you can't have the jumps here, personally I’d really like to see them. They really don't make these trilly patterns that much harder and filling them in feel even more satisfying to hit imo, esp. the one at 93.765
The last two 5 note 32nd trills are exactly the reason I decided to not include those jumps. They detract from the trill itself (which also extends with notes before and after) and lean on being harder than they should.

In any case I changed the patterning a bit from 94.015-96.265 to include the minijack at 94.390 that I missed and to follow the trills more precisely.

Other than those notes, I removed a ghost 32nd at 89.953 and possibly some minor changes I forgot.