View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak
Default Re: Stepping Stones of StepMania 2 [RELEASED!]

Here are my first impressions. I only played the hardest difficulty for each file:

A Tale of Six Trillion Years and A Night (kaneh) - I liked the mini jacks. Loved how the solo was stepped. Felt the chorus was understepped any time it came in.

Audio Avenue (Divisor) - Too many freezes for my taste, too long for kind of a boring song, and I felt the bass line went criminally ignored. The jumpstream would randomly switch from having jacks in the jumps to not, which I feel is something that should be made consistent.

Backstreet Girls (SKG_Scintill) - Good steps, just wasn't really feeling the song.

Bastel (Divisor) - Alright. I didn't feel the groove of the song through the steps, which I always love being able to do.

Cata (BilliumMoto) - Fun. Well synced, and I loved the buildup!

Coming of Age Ceremony (Leo137) - The steps were alright, I just didn't really feel the song at all. The bursts at the end seemed unnecessary.

Desire (buta-san) - My favorite so far. Tasteful use of freezes and a good groove.

Dragon Slayer (XelNya) - Good stuff. This is exactly the kind of file I feel should be in this pack. Good slow tempo jumpstream with occasional 32nd bursts, that's just perfect for this pack.

Fascination MAXX (DDRNGGin) - There was a golden moment for jacks in the drum part which you ignored almost every time. Instead, you opted to put jacks in many awkward feeling and frankly inappropriate times.

First Kiss (Leo137) - Very fun. It grew on me as it went along. I really enjoyed the pacing.

Flyers (buta-san) - Decent. Good steps on the solo.

GAIA (rparty89) - Great steps, fun stream and I liked the light jumpstream.

Garden of Love (bmah) - Great steps, groovy tune.

Get Better John (Divisor) - Random jacks in the 24ths turned me off. Song was stepped for too long, got boring quite fast. I would have liked more attention to have been paid to the drums, incorporating them into the chorus somehow.

Gold Spinners (Wayward Vegabond) - Fucking awesome.

Ignis Fatuus (DDRNGGin) - Weirdly placed jacks once again. Find more engaging music man.

Magnolia (XelNya) - Very enjoyable. Loved the drop.

New York (Gameoson) - Just felt boring.

On My Wings (Kraezymann & rparty89) - One of the better stepfiles, very fun.

Opening Credits (Divisor) - I now know I just don't like your style of stepping. So take that for what it is.

Proxy (YungDaVinci) - Beginning was silly, steps were fine.

Pythagora Cirno (SKG_Scintill) - Great simple file.

Reincarnated Soul (SKG_Scintill) - I think you're really hitting the difficulty right on the head with your submissions Scintill.

Shapeless Flower (Kaneh)- Just a good, fun song. I enjoyed the mini jacks.

Yoru Naku Usagi wa Yume wo Miru (kaneh) - Maybe my favorite chart.

The Islander (Storn) - Beautiful, this could be a reason to pick up the entire pack.

The Sailor's Hornpipe (SKG_Scintill) - I'm not sure how I feel about putting children's music in a pack intended to be easy... I just hope it's not demoralizing to anyone. I enjoyed practicing this a bit for MA.

Things We Believe In (storn42) - This was the only song that I quit on early. I know this is supposed to be a pack of easier stepfiles, but I felt that this was understepped. There were a lot of opportunities for jumps that could have been easy and accented the music that just weren't there. For stepping metal I think that blind's What We're Made Of is a great example of keeping it relatively easy while still incorporating jumps.

What We're Made Of (blind) - Fun, good metal track for the pack.

Woke Up Too Early This Morning (blind) - Really chill short song. This was the only song I bothered to try the Light steps on, and it was exactly what I was hoping for. You synced the piano beautifully and I found myself enjoying the Light file more than the Heavy. Good stuff.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis

Last edited by MooMoo_Cowfreak; 08-15-2015 at 05:00 PM..
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote