View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #15
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Jehovah's Witness and the Golden Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
The conundrum, as I take it, is that hi19hi19 would wish to be corrected were he incorrect in such a matter. Therefore, since he would wish to be corrected, the golden rule states to apply that correction to others (it is what he would have done unto himself).

So the way I see it, on a technical level, the golden rule is broken whether he does or does not. It becomes impossible to follow to the letter in this case. Platinum rule go and no such conundrum; problem solved though
Yeah that was my thought process. aka I thought way too much about this afterwards haha

The problem with the so-called "platinum rule" is that I had never met a Jehovah's Witness missionary before, so I had no idea what they were looking for/how they wish to be treated. I've met highly religious people who love talking with me about the philosophy behind following religion (fascinating people); I've also met religious people who snap the moment you even kinda disagree with them maybe about their faith. xferrarix answered the general stance of Jehovah's Witness nicely in this thread but that was information I didn't have back then.

Really xferrarix gave the "answer" to this thread I was looking for, at this point it's just me musing on the nature of following the Golden Rule.
And I suppose the missionaries accomplished their goal in some ways, as I know far more about the nature of the religion now than I did before they visited ^_^

Last edited by hi19hi19; 04-20-2012 at 03:04 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote