View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Jehovah's Witness and the Golden Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by xferrarix View Post
As a Jehovah's Witness (I understand all the teachings and all that), they're most likely trying to bring you into attention. They're trying to grab your attention, so you'll want to learn more about the religion. If you would of been to be like, "Hey blah blah said it first", I highly doubt they would of freaked out or tried to correct you. They're all pacifists about arguments.

Most likely the subject would of been moved on to more about Jesus, because their overall goal is to spread the teachings of Christ
Yeah, and that's in general why I decided not to. It's obvious that Jesus taught the Golden Rule, and as I said I agree with the principle behind the teaching, if not how it is delivered in some religions.
I was merely objecting to the fact they seemed convinced he was the first person in history to think of it lol

From a practical standpoint I was more interested in knowing how they would have reacted, this reply basically tells me all I needed to know. Thanks.

But it's still worth discussing the philosophical implications of whether it was "morally right" for me to correct them or not
After all I had just said I agreed wholeheartedly with the Golden Rule, then there I was, not following it a few moments later... does that make me merely polite, or a hypocrite (or both? haha)

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote