View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Kokonoe Rin
Sync beats, Sync hearts.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Kokonoe Rin
Default Re: How socially-derived are emotions?

I believe that where you came from and how you came up can have a very heavy effect on your emotions, mainly because where I was born and where I live now are as different as how I felt then and how I feel now.

In an attempt to explain without throwin some sort of pity party, I was born in a very violent area with drug usin/dealin parents. Basically everyone in my family had this "thug" mentality about them. Because of this and just how the surrounding area was overall I rarely felt bouts of happiness or sadness or even anger for that matter. As a child I was rather "blank" and my sense of justice was based on what I considered respect. I was very violent but not because people made me upset, it was more of a "law of the land" thing. You've disrespected me, I pretty much have to hurt you. That's just how it was.

Movin on to later years in life when I moved with my nana to a small country town where everyone knew everyone, and was very friendly, I grew out of most of my old habits and learned that things were not really the way I thought they were. It was around this time that I begin to feel more happiness, occasional sadness, and the occasional anger I reckon.

I'm not 100% if I'm addressin this correctly, but what my overall point here is that the way I felt about things, and the way things, situations, and people affected me was heavily based on the kind of world I lived in. This is no longer the case now that I am a grown man, but growin up I feel culture played a very heavy role on my emotions.

Hope I thought this out well enough.
Kokonoe Rin is offline   Reply With Quote