View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #56
Goldenwind
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: A real guide on how to make a good simfile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky285 View Post
Too bad index files are boring as **** for most spread players. Most good authors make an easier chart for index and the like, anyway.
I've played index since I started, and am just now trying to learn spread, so I can play whichever I wish. I have AAA'd CIA Rave, and 5-Good'd Vertex BETA, using index, and can hold a decent (500+) combo on CIA Rave using spread. By no means the best player, but it gives me a fair view of what they demand.

And that said, a good step author should step their files such that it is playable by both spread and index, if that is their target audience.

Index files boring for spread?
Spread files are a pain in the ass for index. Two fingers is fine if you go left, right, left, right... but then when you have a 16th stream at a fast BPM with jumps every second step (And note, a jump uses both fingers, which totally screws up the left-right-left theory), that's not too fun either.

Note that while I do have a bias, I'm not promoting either side. I'm saying that a good step author will make their file such that it will be applicable to more than just spread, or just index.