Old 04-1-2008, 06:03 AM   #2777
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvanni_guard View Post
Random can't be defined as a person. When it's a person using the controls the word isn't random actions, it's thought out actions. In other words skill. You don't know what's going to happen, but it's not like it happens out of the blue. There's a thought that triggered in that person's mind to do it. Be it spontaneous or not.... At least that's what I've been told.
My point was that even the most skilled players still have the unknown facing them when they play an opponent, be it CPU or live player. Nothing is truly random anyway, and while it is more likely that a person may be able to read the actions of their opponent (especially on poorly programmed "AI"), it cannot be predicted absolutely, and as such can be any number of undetermined outcomes coming forth. Yes, you can guess whether your opponent will dash, retreat, jump, etc., but in the same regard, you could just guess if an explosive is going to spawn in front of you while you're using your forward smash.

This is all in relation to the idea that "randomness" is only introduced by items. I say that it's simply heavily magnified, and the unknown factor is always present, just normally not in any particularly unfair way. In fact, in the same regard, not all items make for an unfairly tipped balance of a fight. There are a handful of items that when used can only truly tip the balance in favor of the player who is skilled at item use.