View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #3140
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Quote:
I dont think this is abuse of the physics engine. It doesnt matter how a set of actions are intended to be used really. A sword is meant to stab someone. If you balance on a sword to reach something, well then good for you.
I agree, actually, but when the issue becomes using a split second of "airtime" after "jumping" toward the ground to allow yourself to open into ANOTHER jump (which in turn could also be chained into the ground into more jumps...), it's just plainly obvious that this is not the reason why they added this split second of airtime upon up+b-ing into the ground. It's the same thing as wavedashing, using the landing mechanics in a way which was surely not an intended use of the landing mechanics.

A good example of something like this that I would consider totally right despite not necessarily being intended would be like Samus or Link's selfdestruct being used as a means of "infinite" recovery. That's using an intended feature of gameplay in another way, while at the same time, not abusing anything which could be argued as a potential programming oversight.