Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson
Default Re: wv's Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
I kind of had to put a stop to my running because the fires in socal have made the air quality worse than it normally is and it makes running outside difficult for me. I'll been using the stationary bike as my cardio workout which is boring as fuck but w/e I'll deal with it for now. I tried running on the treadmill but I get really bad shin splints from it so I gave up on that. I tried increasing the incline to help simulate running on pavement but it didn't help. I don't understand how people do it lol.
I h a t e treadmills. They fuck up my knees and shins every time no matter what and I think it's because of the way they rattle. A 1.5 incline on a treadmill pretty closely simulates the amount of wind resistance you'd get from running outside, but it doesn't make it not destroy your knees, and injury is a really common problem in running.

Ellipticals are really good in terms of a low impact way to hit your target heart rate. They get boring so I focus really hard on pushing myself when I'm on them. I also highly recommend rowing machines (ergometers) if you have one around as a way to mix in other cardio with running. Stairsteppers are also a good mixup as well as stationary bikes.

When I have to do cardio inside for long stretches indoors I find that mixing up the machines I use every day like that helps keep things interested, keeps a good variety of muscle groups in shape, and keeps me from overstraining certain parts of my body.

Also check out if you have DDR machines around for a hella good high intensity interval sport~

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote