View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #3528
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submission Closed)

In "technicality"'s defense though, a file that has a set structure and shows a decent amount of effort is generally, by most players, far more appreciated. A file that pays attention to detail and embellishes the chart by adding clever visual effects whether it be with color or accentuation goes quite a long way these days. Yeah, it's a game, but people have played this game so much they want to see something appealing once in a while which becomes quite refreshing.

Take Kono Spoon for example.

Yeah some people might see it as a joke, yeah it got simfile of the year for 2011, whatever.

Some of the accents in that song are quite clever, different sounds are emphasized with different colors, and overall is a great challenge. This is a great example of how modern charts help add more replay value to songs.

The problem with more simple charts is that the only difference with them and 90% of files already in game is the song choice. I realize it's difficult to try and add variation when you only have 4 arrows to work with, along with no freezes or mines, but the fact that people are trying to make it different through the little means they have is really nice to see and people want to keep playing the game. Otherwise it gets really old after 7+ years.

I do however entirely agree with you that fun factor doesn't seem to be taken into consideration while judging anymore. Honestly if I were judging strictly based on fun factor, some files that don't make it in maybe would have, though my acceptance rate would probably be below 20%.

Last edited by kommisar; 05-14-2012 at 06:49 PM..