View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
QueenAshy
Banned

Default There’s some personal best scores that are impossible for me to beat now…

Around 2 months ago, I was rank pushing in osu!mania hard, I was at it for a week, and nothing seemed to be going wrong… that is, until I attempted galaxy collapse. I couldn’t pass, so I played the map over and over again, eventually my stamina completely died. I tried playing the next day, and my finger hurt; the next day, same thing; day after that, same thing again.

Abraker said it was a compression injury but I believe it to be rsi. You see, I used to play mania lying down on my back with the computer on an angled position on my lap. My fingers were playing with the Q W [ ] keys on a 40° incline. It was really uncomfortable, and after a while, my fingers started hurting bad whenever I used that layout. I started using A S ; ‘, and after that, the pain went away, and I could play fine regardless of the angle.

So anyway, back to the galaxy collapse thing.

I took a break for quite a while and I seemed to be recovering, I could at least type without pain at this point; however, whenever I played demanding maps on mania or tried to farm DT, my right hand pointer finger would flare up in pain and start hurting. So I took a break from FFR, and most of mania (aside from a few odd SV maps and low bpm stamina maps).

When I came back to Texas (a little over 4 weeks ago) I tried playing FFR on my bro’s laptop just to see what it was like to play with an actually good setup - he had a 160hz monitor and the battlefield themed razer KB. I did this to see if 60hz was truly holding me back, and shocker, it was. It was so much easier to read on his monitor, and I didn’t even need to set my scroll speed high in order to read properly. Anyway, I played a few maps and stopped before I broke my bro’s keyboard or he came home to me mashing.

So now, I tried playing some yesterday, and I don’t get finger pains anymore (only slight aches with tedious marathons); and I’ve been wondering, what’s the best way to proceed from here? What’s the best way to play this game again and climb the ranks, but not get RSI coming back or damaging my hand?

Can I please get some advice from veteran players who’ve been playing for a long time and may/may not’ve had a similar experience?

Thanks —-

UPDATE: I've isolated one specific instance where only one part of my hand hurt. After I started aching for a bit, the space between the webbing of my middle and ring finger started to hurt. it was more on the left side, and it felt like it was being stretched almost. I'm not sure what that means.

Last edited by QueenAshy; 09-18-2018 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: update
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote