View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #48
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Autotelic Files and Packs - General Information

Alright, I reviewed Roygbiv: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b0yy62dje...cV75TCfxa?dl=0

Link is my working folder which has a .txt with the review and the updated .sm with the diff I made to accompany the review. Just in case I'll write down the review here too:

Up to 23s you only have to make sure the PR is correct. There are various ways to approach the PR in the section, the important part is making sure you are consistent and only adding exceptions for a good reason.
My added diff has 'exact' PR except for:
- 0.240 & 2.382 are lower than 1.490 & 2.025 but I use column 2 to put more emphasis in the even lower note on 4.524
- 7.023 is higher than 5.952 & 7.202 but I use column 2 to differentiate from 4.167 & 7.737
- 7.023 & 8.808 are the same note but I move the latter to column 3 to transition properly into next repetition
- Afterwards is repetition or exact PR

From 23.088 to 34.513 (and pretty much the entire chart), your layering choice for the percussion interacts pretty poorly with the other stuff going on. Considering it repeats everywhere, I recommend only focusing on the bass/kicks marking the rhythm.
I think it's good to include the 16th at the end at each measure, though that can be overlooked if you want to make the chart easier.
Also make sure the patterning is coherent with the previous section, your patterning seems pretty generic based on the local layering.

From 31:657 to 32.906 (and repetitions), there is no need to add mini freezes as the change to 12ths already does the job of accenting the different sound. Additionally, the patterning should be consistent at each repetition and reflect the repeating triplets somehow (e.g., in my diff I used minitrills). I also recommend using jumps only on the heavier parts of the song to give you more flexibility.

At 42.278 and similar sounds, it's very confusing to add that note without the following 32nd at 42.322. This even worse with an 8th right before as it suggests the 16th is linked to it.

You should be very careful layering the piano on 45.953 onwards as most of its notes aren't very clear and will make things confusing for the player if included.

Lastly, the section from 68.785 to 91.634 should make a stronger point reflecting the reduced intensity. In my diff I used longer freezes to give a distinct feeling from the rest of the chart and also give you another idea of how you can approach the layering. Considering how repetitive the song already is, it's very important to make the most out of anything available.

Rest of the chart is mostly repetition, but you should reflect the fade out by gradually reducing the layering until the end.

My diff still has ways to go, but it should be enough to illustrate my points.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote