Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #43
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: not a single review done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraezymann View Post
The Tragically Hip - "Fully Completely"
alright, I was kinda excited to listen to this, given how well received and reviewed their music is on rym. I know that the lead singer passed away recently, which put them on a lot of people's radars, it seems. I believe you told me that they're super popular in canada, but never were quite able to break out and go international.

I will say it here. the vocals. not a fan. at first I didn't know what it was about the vocals that were offputting, but I saw a review on rym that made it click for me: these guys sound a lot like REM. and I've never really been a fan of REM either. whenever the vocals aren't being slightly annoying, they're merely okay. the instrumentation is okay. the songwriting is okay. I didn't catch much of the lyrics, because of what I think of the vocals, but given the vocal style and the plain-jane approach to rock here, I will assume that the lyrics are a main selling point. sure enough, a quick glance over lyric sheets on genius (lol I know) shows me that lyrics are what keep the songs interesting.

maybe it's just how I like my music, but I've never really put too much thought into lyrics. it's really a case of in one ear and out the other. so this album is not for me. this may sound kinda counter-intuitive; I don't think it's a bad album, I understand why people like it, but I don't like listening to it.

I was going to listen to one of their later albums to see if they came into their own, but rym shows a steady decline in ratings from their early stuff to their newer stuff. and I'm not curious enough about the band to look much further into their discog.

3/5
choof is offline   Reply With Quote