View Single Post
Old 09-3-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Running Thread

Separating from the first post since the first post is meant to be entirely informational.

As a supplement to In The Groove, I am starting to run to increase both my stamina and speed. Back in high school I was very sedentary and my mile run time was barely under 12 minutes (I think it was 11:52). Only recently have I been reducing this sedentary lifestyle -- most of my exercise right now comes from walking around on campus a lot.

For the first time I tried running on a treadmill in my university's fitness room this Wednesday. I managed to keep a 6 MPH pace for 15 minutes before I had a nasty burn in my legs and had to stop. I tried 8 MPH and I think I stopped at 2 minutes. Then I tried 10 MPH three times with a few minutes break in between and barely could keep that pace for 30 seconds. Considering I was able to run a 10 minute mile and still keep that 6 MPH pace for another half mile, that is a tremendous improvement from back when I was in high school (when I had trouble passing ITG 10's and now I've passed some easier ITG 13's, so it is noticeable on my end).

The issue I'm having is that I'm not sure what a good procedure would be for running. The 10 MPH segments I did on Wednesday hurt way more than the 15 minutes at 6 MPH. For the next two days my ribs were hurting and my legs felt awful. Today is Saturday (three days after the exercise) and my ribs are feeling fine now, although my legs are still in a good amount of pain. So I feel like what I did was a bad way to exercise because the recovery time is way too long and I could possibly damage something.

What would runners here recommend? How did you start out? I was thinking of some possibilities:
- Run 3 times a week, every two days basically with an hour session. Start out with 6 MPH: 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes. Basically the same speed but build up the time.
- Run 5 times a week with shorter sessions, 30-45 minutes. Start out with 6 MPH like stated above and build up.

I also have a large protein intake after running (Whey Protein and milk along with other meals in the day), although I'd like to know what else is suggested.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 09-3-2016 at 01:54 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote