View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21
Default Re: The General Degredation of Society

I think talking about the decadence of society is generally a myopic look at the old paradigm for civilization c. BC400-AD1930 and thinking it applies to the new. It does not. Society's cultural, economic, and ethical decadence is not related to the phase of its technology. And in the new paradigm technological advance tends to trump the previous three. It has been 17 years since the advent of the internet and Mosaic, and we still haven't developed a solid model for how to interact with the technology and make the best use of it. I know 17 years seems like a long time to someone who is very young like yourself, but to be honest in Sumarian culture they lived the same exact way for thousands of years, and their culture was constantly on the rise in a relative outlook. I have no idea what your reference point is for growth, or the sample you are using as a microcosm to interpret the world.

Also, when talking about society what we are often talking about is a sample size of the people we meet in our general area and the things we read in pop culture information sources. Neither of these have a strong correlation for anything about society and its values in general. How a group responds to one isolated incident halfway across a continent is not a great determinant of how their society works. To truly understand anything you must immerse yourself in it in one way or another.

What I'm saying is that I don't feel you have even a nominally sober view of the world.

Last edited by Vendetta21; 06-13-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Vendetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote