View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #5136
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submissions CLOSED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
because you enjoy it? why is everything about getting satisfaction from others towards what you do? do a job because with the motivation of saying that it's a finished job when you finish, and earn the satisfaction of finishing a job that you said you would do. I don't care if people don't appreciate the work that I do for free, but I do care that the job gets done so that others will see the benefits of it. That's two entirely different things.

Do it because you want to AND because you possess the skills to, not because you need to. Sorry, but I fail to see how it's a stupid excuse and never will. In the case of the batch, there are people that are waiting for the notes and will undoubtedly be thankful to see them, so yeah, there's something to do the notes for every single time that they are volunteering.
You're missing the point, it's not satisfaction from others but rewards for you. Say you're making your career out of stepman (huehue). You'll want something more than a "you finished your job" in the long run, so it's natural people lose motivation if that's all you get as reward. Sure people are thankful for the judges doing their job but that never gets told to them explicitly. People bitch when you do a bad job, and people don't mention it when you're doing a good job because that's to be expected.

There's a ton of research on this stuff and I can go into more depth but basically, humans thrive for:
Meaning
Recognition
Compensation

Compensation being at the bottom of the pyramid and meaning at the top of the pyramid. Compensation is what draws people, recognition is what makes people stay, and meaning is what makes the job have meaning for their everyday life. These are the basics of motivation for a job. If there's a lack of these, then you can't expect someone to be motivated either, and since you're already lacking in compensation and recognition, it's no surprise that the motivation for meaning starts to diminish as well when you get no compensation and no recognition.

Everybody loses motivation, it's how the company (or in this case, FFR) reminds them of their motivation and rewards a job well done that boosts motivation.

Also, just as backup judge? lol