View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #152
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 92: Exit! by Fire! Orchestra (Album Choice: Lord Of Sushi)

No real attempts at an first paragraph. Actually screw it, no attempts at all. Let's just hop right into this one.

There's two songs on this album. They both fall under the genre of free jazz, though they're considerably more melodic than most free jazz songs, with some soulful vocals to top it off. The first song has two sections. First there's a whole lot of glorious cacophony over a repeating three note bassline and some singing about glue shoes. Then it moves into a slower, groovier section topped off by funky guitar, more noisy improv and more singing about who knows what, plus a spoons and glass solo. This is a really cool first track. That sentence alone sucks.

The second track starts with an unnerving 3 and a half minutes of nothingness, some piano plinking and creepy vocals, before beginning to crescendo into some minor-key cacophony mess. Then it gets quiet again and moves into another empty section, except replace the piano with brass, and make it not at all creepy, and instead rather grating. And that section lasts for 14 minutes. Why?

Seriously why? Why end your thus far great album on such a crappy note? hose last 14 minutes could've been something good and not obnoxious. Whatever. These reviews as of recent I feel have been pretty shitty but I don't care. This album, coming from a guy not into jazz much, has a great first track, and half of a great second track. That's like 30 minutes of great content. Then 14 minutes of annoyingness. Theoretically the ratio means this album should get a middling score but nah.

Best Track: Exit! Part One
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote