Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Review Thread v2.0

October 1, 2011

Judge Team 1

Niala

A.Q.Children

[+.]
-I feel that this song goes on a bit too long. There's a couple of bumps that play really weird, but it's fine mostly, I just think it's way too long, particularly considering most of it is the same quarter note=jumps with 8ths for "flavour" and 16ths at the end of every 4th measure with rolls. It's just a lot of the same thing.
-I think you can get rid of the jumps at beats 99.5 and 119.5 for consistency.
-that 16th note at beat 176.50 is kinda lonely. It's just weird, although right, it's weird...
-At beat 554.5 why would you put a [12] jump going into a 1234 roll like that? It's a pretty terrible pattern flow.
NOTE: Only accepted if cut.

Above Everything

[+?]
-Disorganized and poor pattern flow are the biggest problems with the chart, although there are some neat ideas, like the 32nd minitrills, the rest doesn't meet par.
-Also, dear lord cut this song please.

Alone Again at 4AM

[+.]
-Nice, simple, easy, well done.
-Now, that said, the PR needs some work. It's clear that you attempted to use PR, but there's a large portion of it that's incorrect, and even some of the correct parts could be done better.

Ambiant Angels

[+.]
-I like the approach to this, it's very clear without being altogether conventional.
-Heavy layering aggression at the end, though through applicatin of climax theory, might be a bit too much, although I respect the idea it sets forth.
-Very fun for how simple it is, I particularly like the basic stream, it's very nostalgic.

Amen Iraq

[+]
-Overall good play, some of the changes are disrupting, but I'm probably biased because I liked the other version more.

Animus Intorqueo No. 1/2/3

[+]
-They all get a [+] from me, they've all improved dramatically since you first submitted them to DF, and I think they've all turned into great charts.

Apentenodytes Disco

[+?]
-Not bad, not great, but not bad. I really like this chart in theory, it just needs to be improved before being let in. Misrhythms (listen carefully to the hi-hats), as well as inconsistencies in things like the hand placements.

Bogey at your Six

[+.]
-Kinda long, lots of dead space, but the chrat structure does make sense. Left-handed people will love you.

Canary Part V

[+.]
-Much as I hate to admit it, this is a good file. Even if it is basically impossible to play. I'd say get rid of the 48th rolls that's way too crazy and that extra note at the end isn't necessary. Also incredibly jump heavy, but I can see why. Hands in the intro are an overuse.

Caprice for Violin in B Minor Theme and Variations

[+.]
-There's very little pattern variation for long periods of time in this song, it starts doing one thing and keeps doing it for a long time. It's well done, the PR is good, and the layering, although the opportunities for it are seldom, is good. I just don't like how long it is coupled with how little variation there is.
-The trills starting at measure 78 need a bit of work, most particularly the first set. It comes out of nowhere (quite literally) and switches the starting hand with each trill, and that just destroys the flow between them, particularly if you're not expecting it.
-I actually laughed super hard at the hands, but they make so much sense, and it was so fun, I absolutely love it, it just they're so unconventional that I thought it was kinda funny.
-Interesting chart overall, I'm not sure how the community is going to take it.

Chipscape

[+.]
-Pretty good, PR is weak in areas that could use it (i.e. the slowdown) and some of your pattern choices (i.e. the 16ths around measure 26, the [13][24] into a quad at measure 50?) were poor, also that 23333332 on the 16ths just before measure 46 was faulty, clearly a drum pattern there.

Coffin
[+.]
-Fine overall, got way too dense at the end, though, and the very very ending with the building offset roll thing was really hard to play, and is just a poor pattern flow.
-beat 75.5 and 75.75 could do with arrows
-why the 48th gallop at 115.5?

Creative Happy

[+]
-I like this a lot better than the previous one. Flows a lot better, and has better structure to the chart. Nice improvements. You overlooked some of the stuff I had mentioned before, but if you don't like it that's your choice. P.s. you missed a 4th at beat 127.

Cynthia

[+.]
-There are some misrhythms in the early parts of the file, as well as a very odd layering scheme that doesn't leave much playability to the file. I think it could do with some fixes, but it's pretty good for the most part.
-I don't like the 12ths for that rising noise, which I don't need to explain futher as they're the only 12ths in the file. Every time I play it I just wonder what it's there for.

Darling

[?]
Unfortunately it's swing and not 16ths, but 12ths and 24ths. That alone kills the chart.

Defection

[+.]
-Only thing that I REALLY didn't like were those minijacks going out of measure 38 (~72.7s.) Also you missed a jump at 89.020s (4th note).

Determination

[+]
-This is great. It's like Dance and Zeal v.awesomely stepped guitar solo in the middle of it.

Duck Hunt
[+.]

-I think one of the biggest problems with stepping these kind of pseudo-rap songs is when you try to syncopate too many arrows, which hurts the flow of the file. Stuff like the 24th before measure 18 don't really need to be syncopated. If it's not REALLY obvious, it probably shouldn't be done, otherwise it's just confusing.
-And, in fact, that's particularly true for this file, because of how much is going on in the music, and that the drums, synth, AND vocals are all stepped, it's hard to follow the vocals in specific while playing, because your brain is paying attention to three lines of music to attempt to derive where the arrows are coming from.
-Aside from that, I like the file a lot, it's very fun, the syncopation just needs to be more smooth.

Earthquake on the Southern Texas Canyon
[+]

-My notes for this are just go over your 16ths and make sure everything is placed right. There are a couple of areas where there aren't 16ths (i.e. beat 55-58), and a couple areas where there are some missed (i.e. beat 59.250)

Eclipse
[+]

-No notes, this is perfect the way it is.
-dat ending o-o

Electric Obsession
[+?]

-Multiple difficulties... You're lucky I'm nice.
-Misrhythm, note at beat 22.250 there's a synth that should be stepped. Repeats the misrhythm, too.
-The 64th things, it sounds to me like the 64ths are actually before the main note, but i'm not 100% sure.
-The PR needs a lot of work, it's very disorganized
-Layering could have been more interesting, the song offers a lot.

Elegante
[+]

-Lovely little file, just be careful with some of your hands they're a bit too abundant, moreso in the early parts of the file than later on.

Etude on a Nimbus
[+]

-Solid file, I liked it a lot.
-beat 65.5 and 67.5 shouldn't have jumps. Whereas..
-beat 81.5 and 83.5 should have jumps. Same with repetitions of these.
-try hands at beat 62/63? I think it adds a lot to it. Same near the end, there's some hand-worthy spots that would give a bit more flavour to the file, and more specifically, the ending.
-Btw very nice sync and your js flow is impeccable. Very impressed.

Just Why
[+.]

-Just why (teehee) would you step the entire song as 24ths? I realize they ARE 24ths, but it makes so many polyrhythms and just ends up playing as a weirdly offsetted 16th at that speed anyway.
-On that note, file is very good, if a bit repetitive.

MAKIBA
[+.]

-g-g-g-g-generic sharpnel JS
-Files fine, though, and really fun.

Revolutionary Etude
[+]

-Replace that old piece of crap with this masterpiece please, that's all I really have to say.

SAMBISTA
[+]

-Good file, bad trill. 48ths are a nice touch.

tete-a-tete
[+?]

-Favourite song of the batch.
-I think instead of doing a straight layering, because of the amount of free sound in the music, you could use straight jumps for the melody at stuff like measure 16 instead of cutting the jumps. It would flow a lot better I think.
-Aww why'd you cut the trill? It's so nice!
-I think you missed a 12th at beat 207.333
-Overall I think this chart needs to follow the melody better, and try to get the chart to flow together, it's very disjointed at the moment. It's like it's unsure of what needs to be stepped, so it just steps something for the sake of having it there.

Tightrope city
[+.]

-The very last note isn't really necessary.
-Good file, although it takes a bit too much liberty with how much sound there is which causes the steps to be sometimes too vague for the music.

Transparent White

[+?]
-I have no idea what's going on for the first 20 measures of this file, there's so much in the music that the arrows seem confused and like they're jumping all over the place.

who_cares973

A.Q.Children (Choofers) - couldve used a cut at 138.443 but other than that file was nice though some tough transitions but considering the difficulty of the file as a whole thats fine [+.]

Above Everything (Teh Avenger) - needs more consistency with the steps and difficulty. you have 180 bpm runningmen for a good number of measures followed but 8th notes with nothing else. this file in general needs a pretty big either beef up or slim down. the song could also use a huge cut in the intro since not much goes on for the first couple seconds.[-]

Alone Again At 4AM (foilman8805) - fun and enjoyable though im not too sure about that long 16th jump trill [+.]

Ambient Angels (_.Spitfire._) - file was really fun no real complaints. anything that i questioned about this file you answered which made the file make more sense [+]

Amen Iraq (iironiic) - file was fine though i didnt agree with those bursts at times or some of those accent notes [+.]

Animus Intorqueo No. 1 (MarioNintendo) - fun file though that ending running man was a bit much and couldve been changed up a bass note came in [+.]

Animus Intorqueo No. 2 (MarioNintendo) - very enjoyable no complaints [+]

Animus Intorqueo No. 3 (MarioNintendo) - could use some more pattern varience in the rolls at the end but also enjoyable [+.]

Apetenodytes Disco (Reshiram) - please turn that hand at 66.43 into a jump. same where ever you have a 32nd roll leading into a hand. it ruins the flow of what you have going on here [+.]

Bogey at your Six (Kommisar) - fun file no complaints [+]

Canary Part V (One Winged Angel) - nothing inherently wrong about this file its just stupid hard [+]

Caprice for Violin in B minor Theme and Variations (hi19hi19) - i would rather see this cut into 2-3 different files than keep it as one because it plays as though its different section of songs glued together [?]

Chipscape (bobbob) - needs more pattern variation because you seem to repeat jump patterns per section. [+?]

Coffin (YOSHl) - whats with the 48th note at 52.75? fun file just questioning that one lone 48th note [+]

Creative Happy (MrPopadopalis25) - fun file [+]

Cynthia (Reshiram) - make sure your hand usage is consistent [+.]

Darling (JSH) - seems like you were all over the place when deciding what difficulty you wanted to step this because the difficulty gap between the easiest sections and the hardest sections are huge. might want to go back and rework this file with a general idea of how hard you want this file and work around that [-]

Defection (Ziergdsx18) - fun file though some of those sections look fairly familiar [+]

Determination (Kommisar) - fun file nice s0l0s [+]

Duck Hunt (Coolboyrulez0) awesome [+]

Earthquake On The Southern Texas Canyon (woker-X) - nice no real complaints [+]

Eclipse (0) - nice and fun [+]

Electric Obsession (Elite Ninja) - oh man this song lmao. only complaint is those 64th accent notes might as well just be jumps [+.]

elegante (bmah) - fun though the intro was a bit lengthy [+.]

Etude On A Nimbus (icontrolyourworld) - icy doing what he does best. pr could be better but thats about it nice js file [+]

Just why (Dossar vs. qqwref) nice swing [+]

Makiba (samurai7694) cute song and nice js file for it nothing wrong [+]

Revolutionary Etude (Silvuh) - very fun and nicely synced file [+]

SAMBISTA (bmah) - 73.765 wow ew [+.]

tete-a-tete (bmah) - might want to beef up those really empty sections a bit more so the difficulty doesnt feel so uneven [+?]

tightrope city (Silvuh) - really enjoyable easy file [+]

Transparent White (Silvuh) - another great easier file [+]

i love you

Note: If you guys want me to get more in detail, Please PM me.

A.Q.Children (Choofers) - Offset is wrong. This file was really repetitive and had little variety in it. Since the song itself is repetitive, you would want to change up the patterns more often and be a bit more creative. Just mirroring/copy and pasting patterns over and over again won't cut it. Overall, file was decent but it needs more variety. [+?]

Above Everything (Teh Avenger) - This file is very inconsistent and have a lot of misrhythms throughout the file. Also, the difficulty gaps in this file were pretty random and the file itself is long and repetitive which makes the file in general boring. I will give you some credit for effort though. [?]

Alone Again At 4AM (foilman8805) - This file was good for the most part however I thought PR and layering could have been approached better because there were times when I thought the doubles you placed were not needed at all and there were times when PR felt a little off. Other then that, cool easy file. [+.]

Ambient Angels (_.Spitfire._) - File was pretty fun. The layering and consistency went well with the file. Some hands IMO were questionable. [+]

Amen Iraq (iironiic) - Wow, this file was pretty clean for a hard file. One thing I noticed was that some of the color notes you placed were slightly out of sync, if not really off sync. If the colors were placed on sync, I would have [++]'d this to be honest. Other than that, pretty fun and challenging file. [+]

Animus Intorqueo No. 1 (MarioNintendo) - IMO, this file was flawless. I have nothing else to say. [++]

Animus Intorqueo No. 2 (MarioNintendo) - Not as flawless as part 1 but still really clean. I thought some things were either a bit watered down or a bit too much. [+]

Animus Intorqueo No. 3 (MarioNintendo) - Really nice finish. I thought this one was better then part 2. Only comment I have for this one is that I thought you could have added hands to some of the stronger sounds in the file. [+]

Apetenodytes Disco (Reshiram)- This file was good to some extent however you abused the hands a lot in this file which makes it look overlayered with the song. Also, the layering was inconsistent at times. Overall, file is decent. It just needs some tweaking. [+?]

Bogey at your Six (Kommisar) - NICE BEDTIME STORY THEORY. It really made this file really sick. [++]

Canary Part V (One Winged Angel) - YOU STEP FILES? Well anyway, this file was just brutal but at the same time reasonable to some extent. I felt that you abused the absolute **** out of those doubles my god. Also, those color rolls are REALLY questionable but at least you made it trillable. Since this is your first file, I'll be lenient with you this time around but next time, I will not be as nice. [+.]

Caprice for Violin in B minor Theme and Variations (hi19hi19) - This file was really amazing done. I do not have any comments on this. [++]

Chipscape (bobbob) - I do not like those 64th rolls you used because I feel that those really should be doubles. Also, I thought that the file should have used more straight forward layering rather than layering certain key sounds when the file got intense. Other than that, file was alright. Just needs some tweaking here and there. [+?]

Coffin (YOSHl) - LOL at the song choice. Well anyway, this file was good to some extent however that 32nd ending killed the file. Layering was good from m27-end but the beginning part was confusing to follow and was inconsistent at times. This file would have got a [+.] but then that ending 32nd part killed it. [+?]

Creative Happy (MrPopadopalis25) - This file was fun to some extent however I thought that your layering choices were poor at times like the beginning part of the file when you totally ignore the heavier sounds and just layered in the piano sounds. Also, there were some parts where you just randomly decide to just have pauses in the file when the song is still going which makes it empty. Overall, I did not like the way you approached the layering at all. At times, layering the piano would be good but then also there were times when layering the heavy beats would have been a better choice. [+?]

Cynthia (Reshiram) - File was fun to some extent however your layering was inconsistent and there were times where you missed some of those piano sounds throughout the file. Overall, i did not like your layering choices and you missed some important sounds but it was somewhat fun. [+?]

Darling (JSH) - Pretty fun easy file. Layering was good, PR was good for the most part and the song choice goes great with the steps. Well done! [+]

Defection (Ziergdsx18) - Wow, this was just amazingly done IMO. Really like the pattern usage in this file and the layering. This honestly looks very similar to my style of stepping hehe. [++]

Determination (Kommisar) - Pretty fun file. I still like the stepmania version of this better however this is still pretty nice. [+]

Duck Hunt (Coolboyrulez0) - LOL this song is amazing. Anyway wow, this file was amazing fun. I have no comments on this. [+]

Earthquake On The Southern Texas Canyon (woker-X) - This file was really fun. The pattern usage was good. The layering and flow was pretty good as well. Good job! [+]

Eclipse (0) - Your typical 0 file. Anyway, pretty nice short jumpstream file. Layering was good and straight forward and the file was fun. I have no comments. [+]

Electric Obsession (Elite Ninja) - This file was a bit on the repetitive side but was still fun most of the time. You changed up your patterns throughout the song so that is good enough. Those grace notes however are questionable. [+.]

elegante (bmah) - Epic song choices as usual. This file was pretty fun and replayable. Layering was pretty good most of the time and PR was great. [+]

Etude On A Nimbus (icontrolyourworld) - Wow, this file was amazing. I really love your jumpstream patterns and the flow. PR wasn't really that great but at least you made it up for the patterns. [+]

Just why (Dossar vs. qqwref) - This file felt like another Counter clockwise Chant Pattern file but much cleaner and easier. This is definitely an improvement since the last time I have judged this. The layering was good and the flow was there. File is still a bit on the repetitive side but it's definitely passable now. [+]

Makiba (samurai7694) - Pretty fun JS file. The pattern usage was great, the flow was there and the layering was on point. No comments. [+]

Revolutionary Etude (Silvuh) - This file was a masterpiece. I honestly think this will get accepted by all judges to be honest. [++]

SAMBISTA (bmah) - I really admire your song choices. Anyway, this file was really fun and replayable. I can definitely see people liking this file. A bit on the challenging side but I can still see people enjoying this. [+]

tete-a-tete (bmah) - Again, nice song choices as usual. This file was a bit more straight forward but everything still flowed right. Good job! [+]

tightrope city (Silvuh) - I really love the way you approached this file. The layering was just right for the difficulty and the PR was really good. I can definitely see people liking this file. [+]

Transparent White (Silvuh) - This file was nice and chill. Everything looks good and the file was fun. [+]

Last edited by bmah; 11-7-2011 at 07:26 PM..