View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #2290
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
Skill ratings are a competitive guideline, not an analytic measurement that should be taken in complete stride with divisional placement. Nothing is going to beat manual combing through level ranks, especially with regards to this system that doesn't (correctly) value scores that are not AAAs.

This is the inherent problem with division placements and why I've been an advocate of not doing divisional placements in tournament anywhere: make one shift and it throws the rest out of balance. If you make a change to one group, you affect every other group with a trickle down effect that simply causes complaints everywhere.

One way to potentially resolve divisional issues could be to add a provisional division where players are simply unranked, and then scale all divisions upward slightly using the provisional/D1 borderline as a shifting metric. I'll delve into this later when I get out of work.
I definitely agree with the first part of this post. Manual Combing with players in a tournament is the way to go because it's more accurate and you can see all of the scores they have gotten on songs in their division and on songs past their division.

Second part I also agree with but I haven't noticed the trickle down effect but I could definitely see it happening. Lately in the tournaments I've been hosting with llyair and Portalbob, I've noticed that even difficulty ranges are difficult to deal with because people are used to playing at their comfort zones; not a pre-determined set of difficulties.

I saw you in here and was quite glad because I know you are a major factor in the way any skill metric is determined here on FFR and I would definitely like to read more input from you and even other players; especially those who are in D7 or have the same idealistic opinions on the matter.

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote