View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!
Default Re: What If You Were a High School Senior?

I am in this situation right now, although it's past the halfway point. I've been accepted to three universities (college equivalent up here), and I am still stuck on making the choice. For all three of mine, they are all around $7,000 for tuition a year. However, one of the universities is far away, so I would have to pay ~$10,000 for residence a year. The other two are in my city, so I can live at home.

Because the one university is so far away, I've sort of 'opted out' of going there, leaving my other two options. Gladly, I have been accepted with a co-op option for both of these (meaning the degree goes from 4 years to 5, but I get to work with a firm or any other place of employment for the extra year, whilst being paid). It's a hard decision, because my friends are splitting up, half going to one and half to the other. I would have to base my decision on the credentials of the school, and whether or not I would have a good experience going there. I'm going to have to take some tours of the campuses, as well as talk to teachers about the programs I've been accepted to, to see which one would be more beneficial for me.

In your scenario, it would really depend mainly on the financial situation (and whether or not you want to take out big loans), and the quality of the education offered at that particular situation. Also, a smaller school does not mean lesser quality of education. In some cases, it might actually be better because of an increased focus on the individual. For myself, I would need to base it largely on financials, because taking out huge loans is not something I'd particularly like to do, although it may be inevitable. From those four options, the second or third options would be my pick.