View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 01:07 AM   #8
ShadoWolfe
FFR Player

Default Re: final fantasy 7 for the first time (also others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
my man

(except for FF9, that game's tight)

FF10 is really good too, especially as an entry-level JRPG. my fav game is still FF6 after all these years

edit: historically, ff8 has always gotten kind of a bad rap, especially right as it was released. at the time people thought that Squall was just a lesser ripoff of Cloud because they superficially share the same archetype.

the game has started seeing attention again, possibly because of the remaster, and people are seeing it much more favorably now that time has passed. Squall is, IMO, a much more interesting and likeable character than Cloud--- and one written less sloppily. They might seem similar on the surface but the devil's in the details. (Won't elaborate here because spoilers)

I remember the story and music having me enamored as a kid. It still has some of my favorite scenes in the series, like Laguna meeting Julia, the scene in the spaceship where Squall finally lets himself become vulnerable to Rinoa, and that absolutely mindblowing and cathartic ending. The game as a whole is well-delivered but in a very subtle way. I have a feeling it would have been received much better if it didn't immediately follow FF7.

[With that said, I don't know if I would replay FF8, especially when I can watch the cutscenes online.]

"Just a little longer."

Even now I'm impressed by just how good the writing is. A very natural and compelling romance story
<3 100%
I think I could replay FF8. I am strangely excited for these remasters.

In terms of the Squall / Cloud comparison, I think Squall is a much, much more compelling character. So human, with clear motivations, flaws, even selfishness and apathy at times. His and Rinoa's character development and the twists along the way just really lend themselves convincingly to the *why* they do what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte
I followed the "by the book" play, but I was reading the "not to do" page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
" I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley."
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
"i gave you 20 ducks, and spent a lot of time making one of them quack, and pointed at the particular one and asked "is that one the worst quacker"" ... "you could still give somewhat of an answer based on the quality of the quacks, and the other random quacks from the ducks surrounding that weren't the center of focus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie
"I love Wolfe's duck avi so much. Shado's Duck Shrine is the best!!
ShadoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote