Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #64
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Batch Review Thread v2.0

Supportive Judgments for July/August 2014
Set 2

=== JUDGE: DossarLX ODI ===

[8/10] [Resubmission] Trobbel {Animal Alpha} (Silvuh)
- 10.73: This 32nd stands out since the gallops after are 24ths
- 27.39, 29.47: Missing 24th gallops for guitar, the one at 31.56 was stepped
- 40.18: I still say this section can be snapped better. Recoloring these as 24th gallops can maintain the original sync but show what the intended drum hits were.
- 66.99, 73.24: Missing 24th gallops for guitar, 69.07 was stepped
- 86.09: This 8th is a ghost note. There is a 48th that could be stepped at 85.87 but it's unnecessary
- 102.42, 104.50, 110.76, : Missing 24th gallops for guitar
- 113.26: The ending can be recolored to reflect all 12ths, the intended hits.
- The main color offset issue was fixed and this file was much more enjoyable to play through. I feel some parts can be recolored to reflect the original intended hits that don't land nicely, but are supposed to reflect rhythms such as 12ths. Also cosnider the missing notes and ghost note I mentioned.

[8/10] Noetic {Docmo} (Silvuh)
- 51.48: The only 16th sound I can see this going to is the pulsing low bass sound but in that case many other 16th notes are missing around it. This 16th should be removed.
- 78.95, 79.37: Going back to 51.48, there are missing 16ths for the pulsing low bass sound so stepping just a few like this makes these sections feel incomplete (77.26 and 77.68 are missing for example)
- My only concern with this file are those low 16th bass sounds being stepped. They could be removed altogether or more of them could be stepped. As it is right now this file feels a bit incomplete with only stepping a few of them.

Set 3

=== JUDGE: TC_Halogen ===

[8.5/10] Winter Vale {Exias} (Silvuh)
- repeated tap at 65.276 stands out as a little strange to me
- white notes at the end are a little questionable to me, especially the one that causes a jump near the end
- nevertheless, file is great for an easier file; I like the intertwined PR amidst the somewhat stringent percussion structure

[4/10] Steel Machine {Look Left} (Xtreme2252)
- certainly an interesting song choice
- chart really does not do the song any justice; lots of single taps follow various instrumental elements and there is no real separation between lyrics and guitar
- some jumps arbitrarily follow lyrics without any real reasoning as to why jumps are used (51.962/52.525/[etc], where lyrics like 33.775 could easily have jumps given this method)
- jumps used for the guitar at 77.837, while spiky, are somewhat appropriate; however, make sure you account for them correctly (80.462 should be a jump; 80.650 should not)
- I will credit you for the attempt for at least trying to add some detail to the guitar section at 132.400; the rhythms aren't 100% correct, but they show an attempt at structure, which is certainly not bad
- the end of this file resembles a more desirable structure sans the random jumps for vocals on occasion; you've got jumps for really loud claps, you're following the guitar -- those two things there make a very solid and clean structure; the rest of your file should seek to follow more than just guitar and vocals (and do so while not being completely ambiguous as to what you're going after).
- you definitely should cut this song; I know it's difficult to want to do after going through the process of charting over 4 minutes, but you need to also think about what's best for being played by other players

[6/10] Nightfall (Original Mix) {Rogue} (XelNya)
- this file, coupled with this song, has serious potential for being your best file yet
- personally, I would drop the hi-hats from being followed; this is basically any and all of the ambiguous 8th notes that you have at like 6.356, 9.628, 10.719; this does two things: a.) it gets rid of any arbitrary notes after the big synths that happen every measure or two and b.) it gives your synth 100% attention in accenting in locations like 8.810 (the 8th feels out of place despite being correct, whereas 17.538 is a more proper execution)
- watch your pattern choices and avoid pattern collisions that cause two instruments/samples to be represented by the same arrow: 27.356 has a jump that includes the right arrow off of a synth, but there were 7 notes on the synth on the right arrow before (see 34.992 for more effective and correct pattern usage)
- 36.628 to 54.083: try to either keep the repeated taps either on one arrow or one hand until the higher, shorter synths come in; this way, you get clear separation and it feels more correct
- ^ in addition to that note, make sure that you cover all of the higher synths as mini-jacks as well, as they are the same note (38.538, 40.719, etc)
- 59.810: jump placement is incorrect for a bit here; should be jumps on 60.083, 60.356, and 60.628
- 62.810 to end: pretty much repeating the same notes as before; look out for pattern collision and improve your structure so that there is maximum clarity
- 72.083: watch your jack placement; the bass does change pitch here and breaks into multiple pitches -- this pattern really needed to be split anyway, it's quite uncomfortable
- 82.992: jumps seeem a bit out of place
- 85.719/86.265/90.083: missing jumps
- 92.810: should be 32nds
- 97.310: move to up arrow
-
- this file will be really memorable for players of this demographic if it gets in (it's already that way now); fix it up and solidify that structure!

Set 4

=== JUDGE: Wayward Vagabond ===

[9/10] YATA {kireji} (Silvuh)
this file owns. good to see you stepping harder stuff.

[8.5/10] Yukidokeiro Flowers {daisan & zue-row} (Silvuh)
this file also owns. i like the progressive difficulty build up.

Last edited by TC_Halogen; 06-29-2018 at 07:27 PM..