View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #444
Shouka
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Misc. progress thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Why don't you do incline or decline? Those are some compound movements that will help your bench press (imo). Do you use dumbbells? I feel like that's what helped me improve so fast in my first year of lifting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
definitely consider using dumbbells (either flat or incline) and decline/incline barbell bench. if that's been your plateau for this long it's possible working other areas in close proximity will benefit you a lot more than flat bench itself. pullups and pendlay rows help too.
I used to do incline back in the day, but I cut it to shorten the length of my workout because of time constraints. Those time constraints no longer exist, but I never added it back in. I might give it another shot. I don't think my gym actually has the equipment for decline bench. The only times I've done dumbbell pressing were when the gym I was at didn't have barbells. I feel like I would max that out quickly considering that the heaviest dumbbells at my gym are only 100lbs. I doubt my stabilizers would be able to handle that at the moment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post

squats (sets of 5, generally. sometimes i'll do 8-10 at lower weight or sets of 3 at higher weights, usually 5-7 sets)
deadlifts (sets of 2-3 up to ~70% of my 1rm and then singles after that, usually 8 sets)
flat bench (sets of 5-8, try to get up to my working weight and do 5 sets of 5. i usually finish with a set of 15 with 1 second pauses at the bottom at 135)
pendlay rows (sets of 5-8, usually 5 sets)
stiff leg deadlifts (sets of 8-10, 3 sets)
wide grip pullups (sets of 8, 3 sets)
overhead press (sets of 5, 5 sets)
incline bench (sets of 5-8, 3 sets)
dumbbell flies (high volume low weight)
dumbbell bicep curls (sets of 10, 3 sets)
tricep pulldowns (high volume low weight)
dumbbell bench (sets of 10, 3 sets)
calf raises (however many i fuckin feel like)
shrugs (sets of 10, 3 sets)
Out of these I currently do not do pendlay rows, stiff leg deadlifts, incline bench, dumbbell bench, or shrugs. I aim for sets of 8 on most of the exercises that I do.

Last edited by Shouka; 02-19-2017 at 09:49 PM..
Shouka is offline   Reply With Quote