View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros
Default Re: What makes a series good?

I think Big O is THE best anime I've ever seen. I mean, I guess that's not saying much since I don't see much anime outside of what's showed on Cable TV, especially compared to gurus like Kilga and stuff, but I think it's one incredible show. Why? Well...Uh...

Well, first off, it has a VERY awesome Noir style in it's plot, and I'm a big sucker for Noir stuff. Whenever the protagonist finds a new piece to the Past puzzle, it often leads to more questions than answers. It's really ambiguous, but at the same time, not ambiguous. It shows you lots of things, but then it goes "Is that what really what happened, or the character just have an imagining of what might have happened?" Even though the viewer has the advantage of getting the "omnipotent observer view", it's still quite a mystery to unravel as much as it is for Roger Smith.
Basically, it's intellectually pleasing.

Second, the action scenes are REALLY damn cool. Sure, there's other shows with mechs that move faster, are more powerful, and battles that are even bigger in scale, but Big O just has a real sense of AWE to it's mechs, and it also has thing going for it that I call "clever victory", where the hero seems to be screwed until he pulls off some clever move that defeats the enemy and you go "Ohhh, how clever of him."

Third, the characters are neato tolito. It's well-known that Big O's creator was inspired by Batman, and I say it's a good thing, because, you know, Batman kicks ass and is the world's greatest detective. And like Batman's villains, Roger Smith's recurring foes are awesome too.

I have a hunch that while plot, character development, action, and all that stuff is important, what makes a good show great is STYLE. STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE STYLE.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote