View Single Post
Old 09-2-2019, 06:59 AM   #57
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Autotelic Files and Packs - General Information

I'll post again when I finish the entire review but this dropbox folder will have its real-time state if you ever want to check how it is going.
This includes the review text in review.txt and an extra diff exemplifying what I mean in the .sm.

To summarize my general thoughts, the premise of the file is fine but it needs a lot of refinement in terms of layering (especially vocals) and patterning.

Current state of review (note that I might revise what I said for earlier parts after I spend more time with the chart/song):

I added another diff with a rough implementation of the following notes for easier reference. Also I won't explicitly mention repetitions of the same thing for simplicity.

(first note is on 0.606 timestamp)
0.606 and 0.787 - Should either be different jumps or have different layering. In the context of the file I think [24]3 works best.
0.924 to 1.878 - Looks like you started trying to dicksync and suddenly decided to simplify the rhythms. The actual rhythm is very close to straight 16ths starting with an offset and with some notes drifting late. Also those are ascending quadruplets, the pattern should be 12341324123[124] or similar, maybe simplify hand for it to end in 134[12] and be easier.
1.878 - Freeze isn't really necessary as you are already accenting the sound with the hands.
2.060 - Mine doesn't add to anything.
2.242 to 3.697 - I don't know how intentional the 8th jack usage was but either way they can fit the sax (or whatever wind instrument that is) if you move the last jump to [23]. Also swapping columns 1 and 2 works better with how everything goes lower afterwards and makes the patterning more cohesive due to proximity.
4.060 to 4.242 - As the 16th is technically a simplified jack, the [12]34 is misleading and suggests some explicitly ascending sound. [23]14 works best, but it should be different from the choice of jump at 3.697 so it can be [13]24 depending on your choice.
4.424 and 4.606 - Both should be the same between single vs jump to properly match the vocal layering (single note would give those the back vocal treatment).
5.151 to 6.969 - As your focus is on the vocals, 5.151 & 5.333 should be similar to 5.878 & 6.060 (preferrably descending jumps) while 5.515 should definitely be different to 6.242 (both going higher). Last three jumps should distinguish themselves as well, first one being different to 6.242. My suggestions is following the anchored 4th pattern from the previous part to properly represent the percussion, this time using column 1 (you already almost did that).
7.151 to 7.697 - I don't really like ignoring the thing similar to ~1.515 going on here (especially when you are layering the freezes).
9.969 - Extra kick doesn't happen here.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote