View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #87
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Netflix animoo discussion

Yea, I'm also pretty sure newer 4k tv's can actually decode H265 without a modern computer to begin with. But it still kind of kills the possible backward compatibility with not even that old smart tv's that are 1080p. Most new smart TV's have netflix apps, but if they aren't new enough then they won't be able to handle the new encoding. Alternatively you could connect your computer to a TV and watch netflix from that onto the TV.

At this point you are just getting more and more inconvenienced in comparison to just downloading it and watching it in the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
Most people who can afford a 4k TV probably also spend their time worrying about more urgent things than the infinitesimal difference between HQ 1080p and UltraHD for the purposes of cel-shaded animation.

I only care about differences the human eye can pick up without a microscope. You people o_O
You should meet my dad then. I guess he has the mentality that if he is going to spend a metric fuck ton on a 65" 4k tv then it better be god damn amazing.

Also quality loss on anime is actually more noticible than on live footage. The nonsmooth lines in live video is too obscured by all the detail, but in anime where everything is large block of solid colors and clean outlines it is really obvious. At least to me on a large tv from about 10 feet away.

Last edited by Izzy; 04-10-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote