Thread: OoT
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #51
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: OoT

I would agree it's overrated. It's a great game but probably not the best zelda for a couple reasons.

Having beat every game in the series at least once and most of them multiple times, my opinion is that:

OoT has pretty average dungeons. There are surprisingly few dungeons that stand out in this game across the series. If you have played them all, recently, seriously replay this game and tell me the dungeons are great compared to other entries. They're not. Many of the dungeon designs in Majora's mask are almost objectively I would say much more creative and interesting (the only exception being Woodfall). I would say this also applies to Twilight princess and Skyward sword, both of which had a few brilliant dungeons.

The world is also quite bland overall. Most of the individual areas themselves are fairly interesting, but Hyrule field is extremely boring (it's empty except for some holes in the ground and a ranch). Compare it directly to area design in many other zelda games and it just falls short.

I'd put it, design wise, on par with Wind Waker, though wind waker pissed everyone off with the slow sailing and wind directionality so there's that (which was fixed in the HD remake if you're interested. LOVED the HD remake).

Skyward sword had amazing dungeon and area design and doesn't get enough credit for it because most people don't like the motion controls. Personally, I think the biggest mistake was actually the jab control, as it's extremely unreliable and inaccurate. Definitely a piss off at several points.

Majoras mask also underrated in the shadow of OoT imo. The dungeon and world design was just superior, IMO.

And twilight princess...I felt like this was basically a better and darker version of OoT. Lakebed > Water temple (probably one of the most boring designs in the entire series). Goron mines > Fire temple. Snowpeak > Everything in OoT. The only exception being maybe the OoT forest temple was better.

I won't mention any of the 2D zelda games in comparison though because it's not really a fair comparison.

Last edited by Reach; 06-12-2014 at 09:41 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote