View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #35
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: Social Media Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
It is drama, like it or not, this type of thing exists in any social circle, including your own. I think maybe the attachment to the term might be a bit gross.

I don't think modern commentary is that way, but it certainly was when I made that post. Modern YouTube commentary based on what I tend to watch isn't quite as bad like that. Say the retrospectives on say Zaptie getting (falsely) canceled ect. Most of the more modern stuff aims to be like a journalistic article without maybe the same level of standards.

As for the Keem thing... There's so much to delve into there that it'd take it's own thread.

But to cut it short - I don't think you could call the man an idiot, or even inept, he knows exactly what he's doing. I do also have to respect his business approach, because it obviously fucking works, like it or not.

He's a fucking scum-bag, and shit person though. I won't argue that at all.

My views on this thread originally have shifted a lot, considering I listen to a lot of the "drama / commentary" community a lot while I work. I don't agree with a lot of the politics of who I watch, and I think a few of them get a bit close to the sun too often.

But also to put job in air quotes is a bit ass. Content creation is a job and bad or good, it's paying them. It could be qualified as a job.

I dunno I have a lot of thoughts about it, but I don't wanna derail.
It's not that content creation isn't a job that deserves to be paid for, it's that Keemstar specifically labels his channel as a "news source" but if you actually try to apply journalistic standards to his output he falls consistently short. It's like the Daily Wire: apparently you can write articles about whatever you feel like without having to worry about being held to any kind of standard of discipline or integrity. If he earnestly views his channel as "informational" (I would guess he actually doesn't) he deserves as much respect as the Daily Enquirer. A similar comparison arises if you evaluate based on entertainment value, which is the ONLY thing going for him.

Now that I think about it, DramaAlert is literally just a tabloid for YouTube. That probably sums up my distaste for it.

I don't hate the commentary community, I don't think I insinuated otherwise. Their production values and general content quality have increased since the (old) Leafy days. I follow a bunch of these guys-- Pyro, Big Joel, to name a few. My problem was SPECIFICALLY with this notion of "drama" which literally exists for its own sake.

When Leafy came back and started making videos I almost started to develop respect for him. I kinda liked the attitude where he just didn't give a fuck and did whatever he wanted. But with the Pokimane thing, Leafy's back in the trash. It was a good run (2 months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic