Old 09-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #73
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: New FFR Features ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
Side note I had a 0% chance of winning a prize this tournament but I still squeaked into round 3 with 61st/61st place. So at least some people are just motivated by an official event, the hype that comes with all the new files, and a leaderboard. I just wouldn't be overly obsessed with prizes, although they should exist. Percentile based tokens and/or profile badges I think would be enough motivation.
Yeah I mean, I've entered 7 officials without a real hope of winning anything either. There's something generally to be said about novelty taking part in the one big event that happens every 1-2+ years.

But in terms of trying to actually create and sustain a more regular tournament and competition scene using existing songs etc, the novelty aspect can't be relied upon, and I don't want the site to end up with "Basically, there's one tournament a year/two years/whenever we get enough "tournament type" new songs" and then nothing else, just so the novelty can get us participants.

We are losing players faster than we gain them, and even the Official Tournament is slowly declining every time. We've gone from 508->454->366 and this year, we basically stayed the course at 371, and that's with the addition of several high profile players from other games, and some major revitalizing hype around the RATO AAA coming right before the tournament started, combined with the promise of a large number of new very high difficulty files coming in.

Last edited by devonin; 09-19-2019 at 10:53 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote