View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #56
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien
Default Re: STARCRAFT does anyone still play it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhul4nder View Post
thanks for your advices . @ hi19hi19 , man-crush or just a bit more than that, at least you give good advice. the problem that I have is not able to build very fast, gateway, teching and so forth. are there any tips for that? Also, when the enemy attacks me, i usually can defend a wave or two, but then i get into disarray and dazed; in other words i'm lost after my first rush because...i suppose i just forget what i'm supposed to do.

btw. What's the proxy build? the standard build?
Based on what you said, your problem is essentially "macro," the ability to create units, manage upgrades, build appropriate facilities, and expand throughout the game. It takes its name from "macromanagement," meaning management of things on a large scale.

Some general tips for improving macro:

1) Hotkey everything. In early game, hotkey your two or three first gateways to something like 4, 5, and 6 so that even while you're attacking, you can go 4d5d6d to create another wave of dragoons without even switching the view back to your base. In addition, you can use the F-hotkeys to quickly swap back to a specific point of the map, so you can hotkey the unit production area of your main, F2, then click-d-click-z everything, before double-pressing the hotkey for your army to switch back to them.

In general, here's what you want to keep in separate hotkeys:

1) Dragoons
2) Zealots
3) Templar
4) Observers
5) Shuttle
6) Gateways
7) Each nexus (for probe production, once an expo is mined out, swap the hotkey for another, mining base)

Of course, this means you have to make some decisions on what you want to keep hotkeyed. If you're confident in your ability to pick out a single unit from a crowd, then you can hotkey a couple templar in with your zealots and goons then click them for storm. If you're not using a shuttle for drops, but keeping it with your army, you may not have to hotkey it, etc.

2) Associate your base with macro. What I mean by this is, every time you swap back to your base, the first thought in your mind should be "macro." Just like how when people think "McDonald's" they think "unhealthy," and when they think "Synthlight" or "Reach" they think "sexy." A lot of this comes from practice and just constantly thinking "macro, macro, macro" throughout the entire game, but consciously thinking or stating aloud "I need to macro whenever I come back to my base" repeatedly can help drill it into your unconscious as well.

3) Keep up pylon production. Two zealots + probes takes up the entire time a pylon is warping in, so that by the time it finishes, you need another one. This and worker production should be the two things you're doing the entire game (until it goes to late game and you're at 200/200 with more probes than Bill Clinton has mistresses and you have so many pylons that you can build wherever you damn well please).

4) Macro > Micro. At our levels, macro wins games. Unless there's a rush going on, in which micro is the deciding factor, we don't have anywhere near good enough micro to overcome a significant macro disadvantage. When a battle starts up, get your units in something resembling a concave (basically an arc facing towards the enemy army) and get back to your base to macro. It should only take you a few seconds to build your next units, so then you can swap back real quick and use whatever micro you have to sustain your army as long as possible, and retreat if necessary.

I think that should do it. Anyway, that's just stuff I've learned from my experiences, so other input would definitely help create a more well-rounded "strategy."
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote