Thread: [Concluded] 2nd Official FFR StepCon!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #1074
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: 2nd Official FFR StepCon!

I'm happy that AJ gave me an 8 at Wheelpower and Go. Made me feel like I knew what I was doing, after all. In the end, I might've lost because some judges were not the best at their job. I'm fine with that.

The fact that we get simfile feedback helps us giving feedback to judges so that themselves get better at doing their jobs. And that's totally fine.

I "stepped" Palms Read 2 because I knew I had no chance of winning this tournament. I had quit the moment I saw the notes for round 2. I felt like none of my efforts were getting paid off. I was comparing my files to others, with my keen eye, and often thought "this should rank me between third and first place for sure". Not being narcissistic or subjective or anything, I really believed it. Over the first two rounds, it became quite apparent that my stepping style simply did not come across. I am curious to know what the issue was with it. Were the judges looking for technicality over fun? The opposite? I can't tell after all of this. I am confident in the fact that I am a great stepper and that, with maybe a different judge roster, I could have had real chances of winning. However, after all this turmoil, I am fine with the results as they are. I gave up, so no hard feelings for round 3. I just wish I'd give up for other reasons, though.

I wasn't doing this for the money in the first place, I was legitimately trying to get better at stepping. I put my soul in every one of my simfiles, which is no easy work. I play them over and over until my fingers know them by heart. They might not be perfect, by any means. I can find many mistakes in my first two serious submissions, since I kept on playing them even well after the rounds ended. I still feel they deserved better, but I can live with that.

I have to be honest, here. I love the people who organized this tournament and helped it become a reality. But I absolutely hated how it unfolded. That's not even because I had no idea of what was happening behind the scenes, or because the deadlines were not met (I always expect delays, really, FFR Queue taught me this). It was because I genuinely felt like I gave it my all and got nothing in return. Heh, maybe I should have judged for this tourney. Maybe in the end this is the result of my own choices. Irony. I'm not blaming anyone. Just a bit sad, is all.

So that 8/10 means a lot to me, AJ, and thank you for the solid review. I read what you wrote and I feel the exact same on all of those files. To you, I tip my hat. I could not have done it any better.

And I tip my hat to everyone else who made this happen as well, not just AJ. Hat tip all around. We as a community should learn from this event, because this did not happen in vain. In the end, I stepped two songs that I think should have seen the light of day, but never will. That's the only thing I'm sad about. The rest, truly, is fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 09-28-2014 at 11:07 PM..