View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #367
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 274: The Catastrophist by Tortoise

I made a mistake in my last review, this is the THIRD 2016 album I'm reviewing, because Old King, New Trash Fire dropped this month.

EVERYBODY GO LISTEN TO THAT MIXTAPE NOW.

So yeah, having never listened to them I know these guys two ways.

A. People say they're a good comparison to Slint (no)
B. I mix them up with Pelican (because animals)

I fell asleep after track 4, which is actually pretty indicative of the quality of the music. It's not bad but there's nothing special about it. It's mostly instrumentals, sometimes beautiful but mostly cold and boring.

Also, I feel like practically every song has at least one unnecessary instrument, and that instrument is usually the synths. Hot Coffee is is a great example, because if it didn't have those completely superfluous keys it'd be a great minimalist rock track. As it stands, eh? A bit corny. Gesceap is special in that the instrument that should be removed is that annoying droning guitar but I don't think the track would be much better without it.

Not a good introduction at all, but it seems the fans concur. Boring and underwhelming.

Best Track: Hot Coffee (whyyyy)
Rating: 4/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 01-10-2016 at 02:00 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote