View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #873
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 572: Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood

I really like the cinematic, almost bombastic feeling of the first track. I was hoping the whole album kept that tone throughout, and they clearly tried. Did they hit the mark?

...Eh. Some of the other songs are GREAT, like Movies and Mirror Forever, and keep that gospel-movie kinda quality to them and do it well. Then there's a bunch of songs which just veer way too far into the "boring indie pop" internal bias I have. None of these songs are outright BAD (although what the fuck is with the country Beach Boys sound of the second and third track?), and I understand that my expectations from the first track are probably unfair because

1. Things are always frontloaded
2. "Cinematic" isn't even in the RYM descriptors

But yeah, it... just didn't really captivate me all that much. Maybe I'll appreciate it more with more listens, but I've listened to it thrice now! More likely, I'll delete the songs I don't want and keep this as a high 8 EP.

Melon is a 4channer at heart I just know it and I also blame his stans for always bullshitting RYM scores and making internet music discussions reek of bacterial vaginosis, but at least he doesn't write sub-Christgau malarky like this babble I defecated out in 300 seconds.

Best Track: A Lot's Gonna Change
Rating: 5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote