View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #263
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 185: High Violet by The National (Album Choice: Gus V.)

It's BINGE DAY! Or, well, I hope it's binge day. I usually get derailed on these days and do only 2 or 3 albums. But it's a rainy summer day. I have very little to get derailed with. These guys are pretty well known in the realm of modern indie rock. Most modern indie rock is pussified to all hell, but some of it is pretty decent. Hopefully this falls into the latter category.

This band doesn't sound particularly wimpy, but they certainly have all the ingredients to be the most sissyish band ever. Man my English in this review is TERRIBLE.

This band doesn't sound sound particularly gutless, but they certainly have all the traits of another 21st century emasculated guitar pop band. Slow tempos, smooth glacial guitar licks, subdued drumming with lots of toms and almost no cymbals, milquetoast chamber pop songwriting, and the cherry is the most bland art-school album cover I've ever seen. Saving this band from being too spineless is the baritone singer. And just barely.

Have I mentioned before that I never care about voice? That's a lie. I hate The Smashing Pumpkins.

And then sometimes a cool voice can save really shitty music. I don't think that's the case here (these guys are way too inoffensive to be truly shitty), but a cool voice is a plus I suppose.

I have that argument all the time though. If Neil Young had any other voice, he wouldn't be freaking Neil Young and I don't care if it would be technically "better" because where did the soul go? And then we have bands like The Mountain Goats and Silver Jews and the mothereffing Jimi Hendrix Experience. Anyone who says that Jimi Hendrix's music would be improved with a better singer needs their ass kicked.

Oh yeah, the album. Meh. Passable. Will never listen again unless I walk into a particularly chic hipster restaurant on throwback night.

Best Track: Lemonworld
Rating: 5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote